Author Topic: Resizing/Compression Question  (Read 8068 times)

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
Resizing/Compression Question
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:33 PM »
Hello to the Knowledgeable Photographers,

I?m a very casual photographer, but I take all my garden photos in high resolution (5M).  For posting to this forum, just resizing to the recommended pixels doesn?t bring down the file size enough to meet the 125 kb max allowed.

Does a certain pixel resize suggestion assume a particular resolution?  There appears to be some correlation between the two, but that might be my ignorance showing.

I don?t have a photo editor, but when I played in Photobucket it had choices to resize.  To get down to the 125 kb, the photo was very teeny.  Would that then show on a posting as teeny also?

If I bit the bullet and bought Photoshop Elements, is there a simple way in that program to resize to a file size rather than those blankety-blank pixels?  Is that where file compression comes into play?

Probably these are basic questions for the photographers in the group, so I?m hoping someone can help me out.

Confused Monica

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Resizing/Compression Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »
i know nothing about cameras i dont even know what size pics my camera takes but when i upload to photobucket i use the large 640 x 480 click on more options and select taht size, then when i img code to the forum i get a pic this size

hope that helps

image resizeing there is a function in igpro (will let george explain more on that one) or i use this one http://www.imageresizer.com/ its free and easy to use

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »
Do you have any of the Photoshop programs?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Was going to modify the above, but it won't do it. Compression is not the same as Resizing. What you need to alter to post on any site is to reduce the File Size. I get my pics down to around 55kb, but that is because we are on Dialup and anything bigger is too slow to upload to Photobucket.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
Okay Monica, I understand your confusion so I won't babble on with a load of technical jargon that will leave you even more confused.  ;)

I use Photoshop Elements as my preferred graphics software program, as does George and a couple of others on the Forum, so if you are able to purchase this program then you'll get good support on its use here.
If you're going to be doing a lot of image manipulation, enhancements, etc. especially for posting on the Forum, then you would benefit from a dedicated software program.

I will leave it to George to explain the use of IG Pro for image resizing.

I use a Nikon D60 digital camera for all my photographic work and opt for the normal image quality setting (not the high quality that you have set) and this gives me image sizes of 3872 x 2592 pixels in the region of 2.30 MB.

Using Photoshop Elements I can get the image down to a size of 660 pixels wide and 87 to 128 Kb with very acceptable quality.

The way I do it in Photoshop Elements is as follows:
1)  Crop my photo.
2)  Then reduce the cropped image down to a dimension of no wider than 660 pixels.  I find this to be an acceptable size without creating scrollbars on the Forum page for viewing on a normal sized monitor.
3)  Using the Save for web option in Elements you can reduce the 'quality' setting of the image in real time until you can get the size to 128 kb or less.

I would suggest that if you take photos for the intention of showing them on the Forum, then it may be advisable to set your camera accordingly, so that you're not getting photos at the size of 5MB.
You'd end up with better quality images at the end of the process, as you're not having to strip out too much extra baggage from the start.

George and other members may have other suggestions for you, so it's something for you to consider for now.  :)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »
Look under the Tools tab on IG Pro menu and you will find the Resize Program - GA051

If you can master that program you will be able to create images of the correct proportions (and file sizes) for use on the forum.
I use it for that purpose.

Then have a look at this forum topic:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,609.0.html

To Monica:
You do NOT have to do the downloads. Your installed version has the latest already.

Instructions for using the Resize Program
In that forum topic (above) please read my postings on:
May 14 08
and
June 6 08
Let me know if you have further questions.

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:01:47 AM »
Thanks to you all,

Look, look, I've finally figured it out and actually posted 2 pix on the Tropical-esque Plant board.  I used the IG-Pro resize program and uploaded to Photobucket.
Here's one of my miniscule backyard:

I believe, though, I will get Photoshop Elements to work a bit more with the pix; maybe I could "erase" the bag of mulch that obviously shouldn't be in the photo!  I like to take photos of garden friends & fiends:  the birds, butterflies, other critters and insects won't let me get close enough to use a lower resolution.  That's probably why I've always had the resolution set high.

Your tips and suggestions are now printed out hard copy in what is becoming a bulging IG-Pro folder.

Monica

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
Hey Monica, am I proud of you or not:)
I'm delighted that you managed to crack it using the IG Pro resize program. No stopping you now ;)

Next question of course - whats the names of the plants in that photo?

I'll allow Laurie to advise on removing the mulch bag from the photo. Hes the expert in that department :)

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:24:51 AM »
Just for you Monica, I've taken the liberty of removing the mulch bag from your photo, so you can see what is possible with Photoshop Elements.
I hope you don't mind  ;)

I can take you through the steps involved if you decide to get Photoshop Elements, and you're ready to experiment.  :)

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »
Beat me to it! I did the same in PH7 Mind I also sharpened it up a little. Would have posted it before Laurie, but we had to go shopping. Rats!!!!!!!!

As you can see I had to reduce its size and more importantly its File size. This is 67.6 kb.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:57:42 AM by Palustris »

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
Nice one Eric - good job.  8)

It just proves my point though that there are some very willing people on the Forum keen to help each other in whatever way they can.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
Ah, 'tis easy when yer knows how!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
Well done guys! I am well impressed with your artistic and computer skills   :)

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »
Laurie and Palustris - WOW, that's amazing... it's as if the mulch bag had never been there.  It's not even 7 am here and I'm already waiting for the shops to open.  Photoshop Elements, here I come.

You've both inspired me.  Thanks so much.

Monica

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »
It's not even 7 am here and I'm already waiting for the shops to open.  Photoshop Elements, here I come.

Monica
We all know what you're going to be busy with for a while Monica.  ;)  Have fun.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
Next trick is to turn one flower into a bunch!

NightHawk

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
Which can be done Eric if you so desire, using combinations of the Selection tool/Magic Wand, Clone Stamp, and if you want to have your bunch with different coloured flowers then also the Colour/Hue sliders.

Are you setting yourself a challenge then Eric.  :D

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
No, been there, done that. Don't forget the Rotation facility so that the flowers in the bunch are in slightly different alignments so it does not look like it has been enhanced like that.

NightHawk

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Exactly!

Little details like that make the picture believeable.  :D

Laurie.