Author Topic: Brace yourself...  (Read 3654 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Brace yourself...
« on: October 15, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
Just read this in the paper produced by my ex-employer (I now do software contract work for them):
Northern Ireland has kissed goodbye to the Indian summer, with icy sleet and plummeting temperatures in store from the middle of next week.

After sunshine and temperatures of up to 20C last week, forecasters are warning people to dig out the winter woollies as daytime temperatures will drop dramatically next week, ahead of a winter that forecasters say could be every bit as bad as the last one.

Next week is expected to feel a lot colder, with daytime temperatures hovering around seven or eight degrees, and inland parts dropping to -1C or -2C at night under clear skies.

Rain, hail and bitter north-westerly winds are heading our way, and a northerly air stream could bring snow or sleet to Northern Ireland, with higher ground elsewhere also at risk.

Long-term forecaster Positive Weather Solutions has predicted a 'white-out' winter almost as harsh as the last - with widespread snow, temperatures as low as -16C and transport chaos. Last winter was the coldest since 1963, with temperatures 2C lower than average.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-braced-for-plunging-temperatures-14977571.html#ixzz12SQDIkSu

Brrrrrrrr

and if you want a larf, read the comments :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:45:41 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Brace yourself...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:41:42 PM »
Brrrrrrrr indeed George.

Just hope the weather forecasters have got it wrong - again!  :D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »
I dont mind as long as they err on the cold side :)
It couldnt get worse than last year, could it? :o

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
I don't so much mind the snow, as long as I don't have to drive in it.  ;)

We're hoping to be safely ensconced in our new home by the time the bad weather reaches the part of the country we're heading for - main roads all the way so fingers crossed there's no problems there.

It will be nice to just be able to walk out the front door to enjoy the wild countryside without having to drive to it.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »
Nice to have your dreams come true, Laurie!
I'm sure you just cant wait!

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
It's going to be our first winter in the southern region of the UK so it'll be interesting to see what it's going to be like.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
Lucky you!
That few degrees warmer on average will make all the difference, Laurie.
Flowers will start blooming at least one or two weeks earlier and perhaps the growing season will be extended.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »
Well, I guess we'll be spending even more time in the garden then if that's the case George  :D

It's definitely going to be a new gardening experience for us.

There are plenty of established shrubs and plants in the garden at the moment, but we'll see what starts to appear next Spring before planting anything else.

Temperature here last night dropped to 0°C, so it looks like the colder weather could be heading our way  :(

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:38:39 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »
Oh Lord, not another cold winter, George. I will brace myself as instructed.

It's going to be our first winter in the southern region of the UK so it'll be interesting to see what it's going to be like.
I am afraid life has got in the way and I have not looked in much lately. Do I take it you have now got your new home tied up at last, Kathy & Laurie? Is it in East Anglia?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »
Yes, brace yourself for that extra work as well, Laurie!

Lot of colour in the garden here at present and the longer we can hover above the 0°C the better!
I will do a photographic tour and show whats blooming.
Perhaps other members will do the same. Its been a bit quiet lately!

PS: Edited to say: Sorry Eric. I wrote my message during the time you were posting yours.
I'm sure Laurie will be able to handle the confusion :)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:26:01 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »

Minus 0.4c here last night. Ist minus of the year and one day earlier than last year.

All the tender plants in the Exotic garden are under shelter now. Have been putting the shelters up and bringing plants in for the last couple of weeks, knew it would be about this time we would go minus.

Front garden still has some colour including Phlox on their secondary flowering.

Last Thursday took Lyn to Longacre Plants in Somerset, She bought 25 new plants, some have been going in the garden this weekend.

Unusually we have already had enquiries about private group visits to us next year. A garden tour operator from Sweden has already confirmed a coach to us on July 1st. We have had Belgians and French on coaches before. We moan about the cold here, but most of Sweden is far colder and has very short summers.

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »
they reckon we shall have another bad winter here aswell, that more than likely means a week of frost and very little snow  ;D compared to last year with a couple weeks of snow and ice
Phil

Offline bossgard

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
I?m reporting in from the Pacific Northwest corner of the US, near Seattle, in the State of Washington:

We have been advised by those that predict the weather in these areas to take caution and make adequate preparations for some ?really lousy? (my words) weather this fall and winter. It will be excessive rain and a large amount of snow fall.

It?s being blamed upon a weather pattern shaping up in the Gulf of Mexico, which they call ?La Nina?.

Here is a brief explanation as printed in one of the local newspapers:
?La Nina weather systems occur when the temperatures of the Pacific Ocean near the equator are colder than normal, which could mean more rain and snow in these parts. La Nina is the counterpart of El Nino, when the ocean temperatures are warmer than normal and lead to warmer and dryer winters.?

From a local Council woman:
?It could be a very wet one (fall, winter) because of the most intense La Nina since 1955. There?s no way of really knowing what Mother Nature is going to do. We are better prepared this season. But it is important that we are all ready for flooding.?

?Many residents took steps last year to buy flood insurance, sign up for emergency alert messages, prepare an emergency kit, know an escape route and even protect their property with sandbags or a flood wall.?

Also: ?Crews inspected the 26 miles of sandbags this fall (installed last year), and replaced about 250 bags because of vandalism or bags that had degraded. The flood warning system provides at least two hours notice before flood waters reach damaging levels.?

(Toby): Thank goodness, I?m located above the valley where it normally floods, but my hiking buddy and his family has already brought emergency clothing, etc., and have it stored at my house from last year. Just in case!!

If I get snowed in again this year, as I was last year, then I will not be able to go very far past my back door. I took necessary precaution last week, and stocked up my freezer with extra meats and vegetables, and other foods to consume when I?m (we) are snowbound.

If Seattle WA, is snowed in this year, as last year, there will be no traveling by auto, buses, or any other transportation. The roads and sidewalks will be very, very slippery and certainly not usable. .
Seattle is built on seven hills, and was totally without snow removal equipment plans last year.
The City of Seattle?s Mayor?s office really got a blasting!!

I?ve just finished trying to get my vegetable and flower gardens, into a winterized condition, removing remains of decaying plants, pulling and draining the soaker hoses, planting some ?green manure?(fava beans) to till in next spring, and putting fall/winter fertilizer on my lawn, etc.

-Toby