Author Topic: Gladiolias  (Read 3979 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Gladiolias
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »
Ive now reached the Glads section in working with Erics photos.
I diod some research on one of his varietues and found this interesting page.
Bookmarked for me, hopefully of interest to all members.

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/2006sp_glads.html     

The plant in question was Gladiolus primulinus
Add it to your database
Now edit, get to GA100S36 and click the RHS button
It brings up 'Atom' - so its a synonym
After that, the plot thickens...

NightHawk

Re: Gladiolias
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »
Nice link there George.

Here's another one for members from the other side of the 'Pond' - The British Gladiolus Society

Laurie.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:56:05 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
I don't remember sending a picture of a G. primulinus. I grow G carinatus and used to have G. bysantinus, but otherwise all we have are the remains of some of the dwarfer hybrids.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »
Theres a photo in the folder namedplantsbig called Gladioliprimulinustype.jpg Eric
Some variant? More info would be very much appreciated!
Its the only Glad on that CD

Its a real beauty!

RE:
G. bysantinus
I'm interested!

Per the article (linkk above) - do some gardeners find them boring???? I think they are fantastic plants! Dead easy to grow. Need a cane for support, but well worth the little effort.

I'm working on my Tax Return and doing a little on your photos to break the boredom!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »

I think that should be Gladiolus Byzantinus

It grows almost wild in the Village of Cerne Abbas, (The one with the giant on the hill)  ;)
It can be seen in nearly every garden there, whether it has spread by nature, or from the villagers swopping plants, I no not.

A lot of the Gladiolus Byzantinus you can buy commercially are an inferior plant, they just don't have the intensity of colour.

Malcolm

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
Now I remember it George, sorry. It is just one of a packet of mixed colours which came free with a magazine some years back. I can only remember that they were dwarfer than the normal types and labelled G. primulinus hybrids.
The G. byzantinus properly should be called G communis ssp,byzantinus. The one which I used to grow came from wild collected seeds, but I am almost positive it has gone now.
The G. carinatum (I think) is another one grown from seed, and it spreads itself arouind too
I am not that fond of the hybrids, but some of the original species are lovely. Silverhill Seeds (I think) used to sell seeds of some of them.
We have tried growing one called G. flanniganii (or summat like that) without much success. I do have a picture somewhere from a show.
Now if you start on a relative of them, the Watsonias, that is a different matter. Those I would if I could!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the additional info Eric. I'm pleased to see the topic and this plant has roused interest!
Ive never grown them from seed, yet...!
Ive never grown Watsonias, so I'm all ears to learn more about them.

I'll publish an update to your plants list over the weekend, and that beauty and many other beauties will be included.