Author Topic: Running Ideas Genie pro on 2 computers with cloud-synced database and photos  (Read 1708 times)

Offline NigelF

Many thanks to George for helping me set up Ideas Genie Pro 6 (IGP) on my new (Windows 11) laptop, with database and photos stored in the Cloud, so that my 2 computers use the same data which is accessible anywhere in the world.

Even with 500+ linked photos this was very straightforward, so I thought it would be worth letting you know what is involved in case anyone else wants to do it.

I used Google Drive for Cloud storage in preference to Dropbox because it has more storage and fewer limitations.  However, Dropbox would work in the same way.

1.  On Computer 1 (the desktop that I have used for years) use the backup program to move the database to a folder on Google Drive.
2.  Make this the Startup folder.
3.  Download IGP to Computer 2 (my new laptop) and set the startup folder to be the one on Google Drive.
  Note -  I found that Google Drive had to be 'mapped' to the same drive letter (eg K:) on both computers.
          -  At some point (once you are confident it will work!) you will need to purchase an additional IGP licence.
4.  Now both computers access the same database but only Computer 1 can see all the linked photos.
5.  Copy a folder containing linked photos to Google Drive.
6.  Tell IGP on Computer 1 that your linked photos are now in this folder (instructions to do this are in the Help page for program GA630 Link Photos).
7   Do the same on Computer 2.
8.  Repeat steps 5-7 if you have linked photos in several folders.

And that's all there is to it!

Now I can use my desktop to comfortably work on IGP (I like a bigger screen!) but then use my laptop with an identical system anywhere I like.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 04:45:08 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Many thanks for posting this Nigel. I've taken the liberty of editing your post and broadcasting it to all members.
Its good to know that this was achieved so easily :D
You do need quite a bit of storage to host a personal collection of Garden and Plant photos so Google Drive was a good choice.
I look forward to receiving a selection of your photos so I can do a set of web pages using the Web Projects program in Ideas Genie to show our members and with your permission I'll post the link in this thread.