Author Topic: Reporting on Categories with Zero value  (Read 2244 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Reporting on Categories with Zero value
« on: January 17, 2022, 12:42:17 PM »
Mike has found a workaround to a problem, using the Transaction Analyser program in Bank Genie Pro 6 and Bank Genie 6.

His email to me:
At present when you run a report listing values by category if the value for any category is zero that category doesn’t feature in the report.
So if you save the report as an excel spreadsheet, there will be a different number of rows depending on how many categories with zero there are.
This makes it more awkward to import the excel data into another spreadsheet.
From my point of view it would be more helpful if all categories featured in the report whether the value was zero or not.

I investigated and replied that the Transaction Analyser scans and reports on actual transactions.
If no transactions are found in any particular Category then that category cannot be displayed in the visual display or in Transaction Analyser reports. Mike informed me that he found this is also the case in at least one other software.

His solution was to add ONE Transaction of ZERO value to the category (which has no actual transactions) which you wish to appear in the report. You need to add the ZERO value transaction with a date to fall within the date range of the report to be produced.
The report will now include the category and show as a Zero value for that Category.

Does that help others?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:47:04 PM by ideasguy »

Offline barryl

Re: Reporting on Categories with Zero value
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
Clever idea. Well done.