General Category > General Discussion

Sowing Seed

(1/2) > >>

no ideas man:
Hi fellow members
                        just a little thing to pass on, when sowing seed at this time of year (winter) I always prepare the seed tray 24 hrs in advance and then by placing it in the propagator it allows the compost to warm up slightly this is just my method and i though it might be of some help to other members

happy gardening

harry

ideasguy:
How did it work this year Harry?

no ideas man:
Hi George
              It works very well, some seed germinate within 5 days but be careful you can get overun with seedlings waiting to be transplanted it's not to bad for me being retired I can find the time but members holding down a job could find it a problem.

Happy Gardening

Harry

ideasguy:

--- Quote from: no ideas man on March 12, 2006, 10:06:04 AM ---... be careful you can get overun with seedlings waiting to be transplanted
--- End quote ---
I know that feeling only too well Harry
I'm a hoarder, by nature!
I can never draw the line and say, thats enough of one tray procked out. I just dont have the heart to throw away seedlings. I end up with pots everywhere.

When you grow plants from seed, theres always the chance that you will produce a new cultivar.
I read once that some of the best cultivars come from "weak looking" seedlings. That made the decision making even worse!

Glad to hear things are germinating well for you.

no ideas man:
Hi george
               I have just sown a pkt of seed Viola penny sunrise using the vermiculite ( previous post) method with the intention of growing them on in the greenhouse overwinter for planting out next spring. Let you know how I get on.

Happy gardening

Harry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version