Plants > General discussion

Fuchsias in Ireland

(1/12) > >>

ideasguy:
Ive received an email from a member of the the Sacramento Branch of the American Fuchsia Society.

As you may well know we have a very beautiful variety of Fuchsia which practically grows wild in the South West of Ireland.
Has anyone taken cuttings or propagated from those plants? If you succeeded, please let us know your propagation method.

Next important question, does anyone know the variety of those plants?

I grow Fuchsia magellanica in my garden and its as near as you can get to that variety (I think!)
I also grow the white (more like pale pink) variety:
Fuchsia magellanica 'Alba Aureovariegata'       

Any photos folk?

roiphil:
Round here we have the red floweing fuchias that grows in hedgerows took softwood cuttings last year, (i dont think they had any previous years groth on the cuttings) and they are doing well, as for the variety red flowers green leaves  ;D  ::), will take a pic of the plants tomorrow,

all i did was to take the cuttings about 4 inches long remove bottom leaves and any flower buds, and just stuck about 2 inches in a pot full of sand that had been really compressed down and made sure they were well tight in the sand and left to mother nature, i seem to have more luck if i dont fuss over any plant  ::)

ideasguy:
Those are indeed the plants that catch the eye of all visitors to Ireland Phil.
Would you mind taking a few cuttings tomorrow and putting them in the post?
I'd like to try and propagate from them.

roiphil:
will do regarding cuttings i shall just cut some branches off and you can work away on them, would rather put in post on monday, if i put in post today, they will just sit in a sorting office somewhere, for some reason posting to up north genearly takes a day longer for the person to receive, to wet your appetites some pics

plants

flowers note the purple middle

Excuse quality of bottom pic, picture taking is not my forte, pm me your address george cant find it anywhere  ::)

does any one have a name for this fuchsia

Phil

Eric Hardy:
I loved those wild fuchsias growing in Western Ireland. I remember them especially on the opposite side of Dingle Harbour. I am talking about three visits between about 1961 and 1974 and they have always stuck in my mind. We have one very vigorous one here, still in full bloom which reminds me very much of the Irish wild fuchsia but the flowers are slightly larger. That of course may just be due to it growing in garden conditions.

This is a copy of a Kodachrome transparency of our eldest son Adam in 1961 in precisely that spot

Eric H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version