Author Topic: Linking to documents within ALL Genie software products  (Read 4948 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Linking to documents within ALL Genie software products
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
I had an enquiry from a new user today:

RE: 
...which I have created in My Documents. I do not see a link to these files as like you have for photos. Maybe I can copy and paste my document file?
Linking to documents is very easy if you know your way around he folders on your computer.

In the text regions of any screen which takes a "blob" of data, you can type in the file names, preceded by:
File:///
This prefix activates the text, making it into a clickable link, exactly like a web link, which then opens the document in a web browser window

This applies to Bank Genie and all the Gardening Software programs

The only snag is, you need to replace any spaces with
%20
You also need the full path to the document, and its extension.
Note also that you can use forward slashes

Heres a few examples:
Web link
http://www.ideasforgardens.net

A Word document
file:///f:/cd%20labels/SWAP-Brian%20Denison/BrianDenison.DOC
Note the space between cd and labels replaced with %20

An htm file on a local drive (in this example, a link to a htm page created using the Web page Generator - WPG- in Ideas Genie Pro/Bonsai Genie)
file:///c:/igdata_sets/web/palustris/index.htm

An image
file:///C:/igdata_sets/web/palustris/JULY012008%20015.JPG

A text file
file:///f:/links/norway-denmark-sweden/links.txt

Excel file
file:///f:/myExcelFiles/links.XLS

Useful?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:17:33 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Djem

Re: Linking to documents within ALL Genie software products
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
That definetly works for a word document.

for the one note files the path would be something like this.

File:///C:\Users\Me\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Garden\Current Plantings\Perennials\14Stonecrop\1PinkChablis

The last three 'switches' are what you see as a path name inside of one note (\Perennials\14stonecrop\1Pinkchablis) but you cannot link that deep
outside the application, I can link to the 'Current Plantings' notebook, but not the sub sets.  Perennials would be a main 'tab', 14Stonecrop means it is the 14 page I've added to Perennials, and 1Pinkchablis is the first sub page.

It was a good try.  I can copy all the text into genie, I'd just lose all the nice formatting and embedded photos.  I'll have to remove all the photos and put them in a picture directory.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »
Can you export the OneNote document as a HTML file Julie?
If yes, that will keep all the formatting and the images, and you can link to it using the File:/// method

Offline Djem

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »
I am doing some digging into the directory structure to see if there is a way to at least get to the 'perennials' part.  If it displays the structure internally there must be a way to access it externally.  This is forcing me to learn how Windows 7 works (or should I say 'hides things for your own greater good', which is some thing I've stubbornly avoided for the last few months since I've gotten the new laptop.

There is a feature to publish to blog which I am also going to look into tonight.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »
Do you have problems acessing MS OneNotes externally from other programs Julie?

RE:
or should I say 'hides things for your own greater good"
I know exactly what you mean. Its the cause of many support problems.

Offline Djem

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
No problem at all accessing One Notes externally.  My explanation probably isn't the greatest.

When you are in One notes, when you hover your mouse over separate parts of the app, it displays in the mouse tooltip the directory path of the object you are hovering over.  So for instance I know that internally in one notes what sub-directory it uses for the pages and subpages.  But external of the application Windows 7 only lets me drill this far : C:\Users\Me\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Garden\Current Plantings

So using your linking option I could link to the current plantings folder in the garden notebook, but then I would have to manually click through to access perennials, then stonecrop, then Pink Chablis.

I'll do more research into it, it may have something to do with the fact (as I discovered while browsing at lunch) that you also cannot link One Notes in a Access Database either.  While you can link to Word Documents, Excel Spreadsheets etc in Access.

Thanks again, off to enter more plants :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
In XP, I can do this.
Start the program My Computer
Double click on Local Disk C: drive
Click Tools tab on menu
Click Folder Options
Click the View tab
Look for Hidden Files and Folders
Check the option Show hidden files and folders
Apply and OK

Can you do that (or something similar) in W7?
If yes, I wonder if that would help.