Author Topic: Raining in Spain  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Lynda A

• My website
Raining in Spain
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Actually it is absolutely pouring down.  Alistair has been outside all day trying to get a pump working.  When it rains here it really rains - great storms though.
Well I have been busy working on my website and it is now up and running.  Please take a look and let me know what you think.
www.themenopausalgardener.com   

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Raining in Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »

Yes I could put up with the 18 days ? of rain in a year, to be where you are. 8)

Lovely large garden you have, our lemon is a dwarf compared to yours, nearly time to bring it under cover for the winter, was down to +2.1 c here last night, but we have had some nice sunny days recently.

Like your website, just a few problems with the text under the thumbnails in the "Cast" and "Garden" sections.

Off to find those thicker socks for the winter. ;D

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
A wonderful web site Lynda, well-constructed and some great photos.

I was particularly envious when you described all your different garden 'rooms' and your struggle to use them all.  Some novel names for them as well.  I was intrigued by the more... bit though at the end of your 'partial' list.  It would be very interesting to learn the rest of them some time  :D

As a comparison to our garden, you could say we just have one big room.  This would probably fit into just one of yours. Ho hum.  ;)

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, it is greatly appreciated.

Let us know if you add anything else to your web site, so we can continue your 'Journey in Spain' with you and Alistair.

Laurie.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
Thank you all,  I am now the proud owner of a garden shed .  Alistair has finished building it and even had a plaque made for it. will take a pic and post soon.
Not sure Malcolm what you mean about the text, have had a look but can't see anything.  What is it showing on your computer.   It is built on a Mac  but that shouldn't cause a problem.
Updating the garden blog on a regular basis.
Bit cloudy today, and we have four thirteen year olds to entertain. 

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »
Glad to see you're keeping Alistair busy there Lynda.  Garden shed - well done Alistair.  (Alistair, she'll have you building obelisks next if she's anything like Kathy  ;) )  Look forward to seeing your piccy.

Temperature here last night dropped to 0 degrees Celsius  :o and today is cold, overcast and windy.  :( Ho hum.

Nothing wrong with your web site Lynda, displays perfectly for me.  8)  (On a Windows PC).

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:58:15 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:25:24 AM »
I'm seeing the effects that Malcolm has mentioned, Lynda.

When I click Garden Images, I see photos.
Below the photos, I see ONE single character under most photos, in a few instances, 2 and a wee-bit characters.
Its a hyperlink, so when I click on it, I see the larger image, so thats working OK.

I'm on Windows XP and using Internet Explorer 6 (IE6)
I haven't upgraded to a higher version of IE on this computer, because initially I read of some "issues" in IE7.

I'll check on my other (Belfast office) computer on Monday. It has a more recent version of IE.
I can also test your site on other web browsers in the Belfast office. We have Firefox etc, and we also have Macs.

To Malcolm and Laurie:
What web browser are you using?
If IE, what version are you using? (Click Help on the Menu, then click About Internet Explorer)

Apart from that, everything is excellent Lynda. You've done a very good job and I wish you both every success with your books.

P.S. Thanks for the link!
How about exchanging links with our forum friends here? Malcolm, Laurie, Chrissie (the Gardener) etc have web sites

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
When I click Garden Images, I see photos.
Below the photos, I see ONE single character under most photos, in a few instances, 2 and a wee-bit characters.
Its a hyperlink, so when I click on it, I see the larger image, so thats working OK.

I'm not seeing that George.  Below each of the thumbnails is the full text of what the larger photo will be about - no odd characters are visible.
When the thumbnails are clicked on and the larger picture appears, the text underneath is also perfectly displayed.

To Malcolm and Laurie:
What web browser are you using?
If IE, what version are you using? (Click Help on the Menu, then click About Internet Explorer)

I'm using IE 7, Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.

The whole of Lynda's web site is displaying perfectly for me.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
Its a pain, isnt it! Ive seen this before in my own websites. Pefect on my computer, all over the place on another.
C'est al vie! (Or should that be modernised to C'est la viewer?)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
I am using the same as George, so must be IE6 the problem.

+0.9 here last night.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »
I've got some more test results to add her.

(1)  On Kathy's PC she is using IE 6 (Build 6.0.2900.2180),  Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.
The erratic text is displaying under each of the thumbnails - just as you described George.

(2) Firefox 3.0.3 - text displays perfectly.

(3)  Opera 9.51 Build 10081 - displays perfectly.

The issue seems to point to IE 6.

Looks like you need to try the upgrade to IE7.  I've never experienced any issues with it so far.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »
Microsoft now have IE8 at beta stage. I'll wait for that to be stable before upgrading on this computer.

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
Same here George.

As far as Microsoft is concerned I don't rush in with any of their software updates.  IE7 is stable on my PC, Kathy's not too keen on upgrading when her software is working for her, so I don't nag her about it.

Leave well alone seems to work okay there.

Lynda will be pleased to learn that this issue is not at her end.

During our years of web site designing, I would have several browsers installed on my PC so that we could test the results.  When you've got paying customers you can't afford glaring errors.

I primarily designed for Internet Explorer, as this was the most widely used browser.  Testing on the other browsers, Netscape, Firefox, Opera being the main alternatives, I found that the web site coding degraded quite well, acceptable enough for the client to be happy.

You just can't get perfect results under all circumstances, so you go with the best you can.

Laurie.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »
Hi , Well that's interesting.  I would not have found out about glitches like that without you folks. I will ask around and see what feed back I get.  Well done all.  Well started out dull here but brightened up this afternoon. We are entertaining four, thirteen year old boys this weekend, and I am shattered.  Roll on tomorrow when they go home.