Author Topic: A mucky day!  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Palustris

A mucky day!
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »
All yesterday there was the most awful smell in the house. Try as we might we could not find the source or stop it. Even after we had gone to bed it lingered and when I got up in the night it was still bad. This morning despite the newly baked bread, it was still there. Anne went to begin to clean out the wood stove and lay the fire. The chimney breast was still hot, as was the metal pipe from the fire to the chimney. I went and opened the soot door to find a nice glowing mound of soot. We had a chimney fire. Not enough to need the fire brigade or really set the chimney ablaze, but not nice. And the smell was awful. So very carefully we shovelled the hot soot out of the chimney breast. That seemed to do the trick in that slowly the chimney breast and the upstairs chimney breast began to cool down. I went and found my flexible rods, but we do not have a chimney brush. So, as we needed to go into town any way as the Microwave oven has gone belly up, we braved the 9 inches of snow on the road and went in. Hah! There was not a single parking space to be had in the town. We did manage to get a brush from the Farm suppliers. Home, slipping a bit on our ungritted lane. The chimney was now cold so I set to and swept the chimney. 3 more buckets of cold soot and a lot of dust later, the job was done. It took Anne the rest of the afternoon to clean up and we will have to dust again tomorrow. The fire is not lit and the smell has gone. Now all we need is a new microwave.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A mucky day!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:09:55 PM »
I had to fix a burst pipe yesterday Eric. Childs play compared with your task!!
Were those fumes dangerous?

RE:
The fire is not lit and the smell has gone
Did you mean - the fire is NOW lit?
I hope so for your sake. Its kinda cold :o

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
Sorry, yes Now lit and no problems, the fumes were just malodorous.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »

"Now all we need is a new microwave"

Bit too far for me to travel to mend it for you  :(

You were lucky indeed the chimney fire didn't spread, especially as you slept. ::)

Does the chimney run up the outside wall of the house or is it internal, if it is internal then where it goes through floors or roof you should really check that the fire/heat has not penetrated the brickwork.

Malcolm

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
It is internal and I checked very carefully the whole length of it. What the brush brought down was all cold, the only hot stuff was on the fireproof sheet over the top of the stove itself.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »

Good news Eric, glad you checked.

Malcolm

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »
Been there before, more years ago than I care to think about.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
meant to get our chimney swept this year completelty forgot  ::), a good reminder to keep your chimney swept i think

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Ours was swept early on this year. We think the soot was brought down by the weather and was sat on the board.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:57:40 PM »
Nice clean chimneys - Good news for Santa ;D