Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 7980 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Holidays
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
We are off to Portugal (Albufeira) for a weeks holiday on Friday.
Have never been to Portugal before, so very much looking forward to seeing that country. We've had very good reports from many of our friends who've been there already.

Last time I went on a sun seeking holiday (Spain), I took a complete break from computers, and that will propably be the case this week.
Our sons are looking after things in our absence.

I just hope this rain doesn't follow us there. ;D

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
enjoy dont forget our postcards  ;D your from ireland course the rain will follow  ;)  :D, it seems to follow me everywhere i go of late  ::)

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:37 PM »
Have a great time there George.

Don't worry about the Forum - we'll manage somehow  :D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »
Thanks Laurie. Seriously, I know its in good hands :)
Cant remember the last time I sent a postcard, Phil   ;D I'll take photos though!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »

Lucky you, no need for macs or brolly, take the suncream instead.
Day temperatures about 28 or 29c
Night minimum  20c
Virtually wall to wall sunshine for the duration of holiday
See if you can go inland while there. It was Sept 2007 when we where last in Portugal, see here  http://www.holidays.lynandmalc.co.uk/portugalsept.htm

Enjoy

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:31 AM »
Wow!
What an account of your holiday Malcolm. Brilliant!
That digiscope is well travelled ;)

I can see you enjoyed yourselves. We may hire a car. Not sure yet as we are being picked up at the airport and taken to the holiday home.

Offline grumble

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »
Had a week in Albufeira once, one of the last Freddie Laker package holiday flights. It was a small town when we were there. Looking at it on Google Earth now it looks so......new! Still, they call it progress I believe.  :-\ Have fun though George.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:17 AM »
I know you're making an early start this morning George, and won't have time to look in on the Forum.

Have a safe journey and thoroughly enjoy your much needed break.

We'll catch up with you again on your safe return.

Bon voyage  ;D

Laurie.

Offline peter1925

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
Have a wonderful trip George and don't forget to take a few photos for us to see where you were..

Peter & Carol

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
Hi folk -we had a wonderful time and have returned safely.
Weather was just perfect for us, around the 30's, such a change from the weather we left behind.
Didnt touch a computer all week, and no side effects :) Julian managed very well in my absence  :)
It was nice to relax and enjoy the rays, lots of shopping  ::) and on returing to the apartment each afternoon we had a swim to cool off.

We were delighted to arrive home to one of the sunniest days weve had in these parts for a long time!
It was too wet to cut the grass in the last couple of days before we left,and it has grown a lot in those 2 weeks. First task is to get out there with the lawnmower!
After seeing so much brown grass in Portugal it was a treat to drive into our driveway - I'll take a photo later when the sun goes down.

Yes Peter I took a few photos and will post them later.
Thanks for all your good wishes folk!

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »
Welcome back George.  It's great to hear you arrived safely.

Not much has been happening on the Forum during your absence, so there's not a lot of catching up to do.  :D

I have a feeling things will now change.  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »
Thanks Laurie, and thanks for keeping the ship afloat during my break. It was very nice to know it was in safe hands :)

Just finished cutting the grass. I'm never going to complain about that job again. It was beautiful to see lush green grass again!
Its been dry here for a few days, I'm told, but the garden is still very soft underfoot, so needs a few more days like this before it return to any semblance of normaility. Weather forecast is good ;)

How has the weather been on the mainland?

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »
Up here in the northeast it's been a mixture of cold winds (heating on in the house a few days ago  :o ), a few showers and sunshine.  Very hot and sunny today though.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
We had the heating on for an hour or so each night before we left on holidays, Laurie, and last night on our return as the temps dropped.

It looks like we are going to have a lovely day again today just like yesterday. Its misty at ground level at 8:00 am but sun is shining in a lovely clear sky.
Hope the good weather predicted by the weathermen is correct!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »
Welcome back George. I hope you had a jolly good time. We were in Norfolk while you were away and I missed your departure. We did not see any gardens but we saw lots of beautiful churches. I hope you liked Portugal. It is a nice country. We have been about three times but further north. I think the nearest we stayed to where you were was Evora which is inland. It has been cloudless here today in Buckinghamshire and certainly no heating was required  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
Beautiful here today as well. Spent the afternoon in the garden. My sons and families visited and we had a barbecue - and dined outside :o Nice to be able to do that in mid September!

Ive now uploaded the photos I took, but will leave it tomorrow to post here. Off to watch the football  ::)
If youve uploaded your Churches photos, please post a few links Eric. I'd love to see them. Thats the architecture I appreciate!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
Here are some of the photos taken on our holidays in the New Town side of Albufeira, Portugal.

Our first glimpse from the door of the apartment:

My early morning stroll before the sunlovers took up their places by the pool.
Looking from the far side of the pool towards the apartment. Ours to the right of the blue towel on the drying rail

Now our girls are having breakfast

From the edge of the pool:

and one with me at the other side of the camera:

Dig those shorts. Yours truly poses in the "Old Town" district of Albufeira

Now for photos of the lovely plants I see on my travels.

A snap of "moi" admiring a very nice plant:

and a close up of the flowers:

Anyone know what it is? Refer to it as Plant No 1

Another very nice plant - very popular in the region and in various shades. This one in pink, taken close to the apartment:

Anyone know what it is? Refer to it as Plant No 2

Another plant growing just outside our apartment:

Anyone know what it is? Refer to it as Plant No 3

Tara, Erin and Mary stroll under a very nice variety of tree which was planted along many of the streets in Albufeira:

The flower and foliage

The foliage

Does anyone know the name of the tree in the above photos?
Refer to it as Tree No 1

And finally for now, a nice presentation of flowers close to a Taxi rank in New Town Albufeira:

I know a man on our forum who grows these ;)
Go ahead Malcolm, what have we here?

NightHawk

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 01:21:34 PM »
Great set of photos there George.

I see you have taken the opportunity to set us some challenges to identify those plants.  ;)

Okay everyone - get your thinking caps on.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
Yes indeed, yet another set of challenges.

I took them with my older Caplio RR10 camera. I didnt risk taking my new Canon on the holiday.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »

Why did you go all that way to Portugal to see those plants, should have come here. ;D

No ! Plumbago auriculata
No 2 Oleander or as we call it "river weed"

The plants at the taxi rank look like Hibiscus rosa sinensis

Back later must go

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »
I had a feeling you'd have at least a few of those plants in your garden Malcolm ;D
At least one of the holiday makers would have been quite satisfied with a vist to your garden instead of having to suffer all that sunshine and Sangria!

You are quite correct in your sugestions.
From your own webs ite:
http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/PLUMBAGO.JPG
I didnt have a clue on that one, so thanks for the ID.
Its a very nice plant, one of the nicest over there. The ones I seen were about 3ft (1m) tall. What height do yours grow?
Do you have it in the back? (your garden)

The Oleander I had seen in Malaga, and found the name in a Garden Centre there.
You saved me having to trawl through those photos. Mind you, one day I'll d a WPG with them ::)
Lovely plants for weeds. Dont see it in your famous plant list:
http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/
Another one to add?

This says it is poisonous:
http://perennial-plants.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_oleander_plant_for_spectacular_blooms
Oleander is poisonous and can be fatal to humans and animals if ingested. Even the sap is poisonous so wear gloves when pruning. Because of its toxicity Oleander should not be cultivated in gardens with young children.

Yes, the red flowering plants at the Taxi rank were Hibiscus!
From your plants list, I see you have no less that five alternatives to the Orange one, i.e. in different coloursl!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:55:03 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 08:45:33 PM »

At least one of the holiday makers would have been quite satisfied with a vist to your garden instead of having to suffer all that sunshine and Sangria!
I don't believe that.  ::)

The Plumbago here is about 2 metres tall, and has been flowering for about 3 weeks now, mind you it is in the greenhouse, which is in the back garden.
After last years deluge of a summer, when we had no flowers on it, I decided it would stay under protection this year, a good call I reckon as we have not had a brilliant summer. It is indeed a lovely colour.

The Oleander is in our plant wpg, although you nearly gave me a heart attack, thinking I had missed that one out. It is under it's correct name of Nerium Oleander. We have 3 colours and 4 plants, currently at 2 metres plus in height.
I have a rotation pruning regime for them, the two I pruned back last November have no flowers on, the two I didn't prune have a few flowers, would have been more with more sun. The two I pruned in November will not be pruned this coming November, the other two will. Reason for pruning back, they will just grow too big.

I take no protective measures when pruning, It is a well known fact that many holiday makers abroad have been ill from cutting parts off the Oleander down to make sticks for sausages etc when having a barbeque. ::)
Our description of Oleander being a river weed, stems from the fact that they often grow on the edges of large streams, in the summer when the stream turns into a trickle, they have good roots to find the moisture, next time you fly over Spin/Portugal, keep a good look out the window, you will see the gorges cut into the hills by the steams, lined with colourfull Oleander. One of the reasons I always want, and get the window seat on the plane, the other reason is so I don't have to sit next to an obnoxious person or child. Lyn has had a few  :-X
All of our Oleanders came from cuttings we bought back from Spain, which were rooted in water.

Regarding the Hibiscus rosa-sinensis we have here. One of them has pink OR red flowers. Ok so there must have been two different plants in the pot when we bought it. But no, as it will flower occasionally with a flower that is red and pink. ;D will see if i can dig a picture out for that.
All the Hibiscus sinensis we have were originally bought in local garden centres, as small decorative plants. After keeping them for about 3 years they will suddenly start to make bigger plants, I think they are sprayed with a dwarfing agent, or growth retardent to keep them small. Much better when they grow out of it.

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »

Could Picture 3 be Rosemary, cant think of the proper name, did you smell the foliage?

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
No 3 is indeed Rosemary. At least I hope it is - my son said he used it for cooking when he stayed in the apartment in Oct last year (or spring this year - not sure which holiday)

Nerium oleander - ah, yes, thats better. Its in the Master Database (no wonder I couldn't find it under the under the "Genus" oleander  ::))
Thanks for clearing that up!

The Plumbago here is about 2 metres tall, and has been flowering for about 3 weeks now, mind you it is in the greenhouse,
That being the case, Plumbago is not something for Ireland!
Yes, a very beautiful plant. The ones I seen were all a pale blue. Same as yours?

RE:
It is a well known fact that many holiday makers abroad have been ill from cutting parts off the Oleander down to make sticks for sausages etc when having a barbeque.
Nasty!
We discovered that barbecues are "banned" at the apartments where we stayed. My son made the mistake of buying one and neighbours complained when he lit up. On our stay, Tara brought it round to the front where it was quiet but a neighbour from across the way came over and in a very friendly way said they werent allowed.

If theres a choice, I always go for the window seat, Malcolm. Fortunately my wife doesn't have any such preference.
I had a window seat going and enjoyed the view. The plane flew very close to my own home town - the first time Ive ever spotted it from the air. I recognised the shape of the dual carriageway ring-road and then the town. Then it flew over the East coast over Newcastle (Co Down) where my son teaches. Then on down just off the coast and I spotted Carlingford Lough which leads to Newry Co Down. Then all down the south of Ireland. Next pick up of land was over Northern Spain, and the plane flew down just inland of the west coast. I was on the right hand side and had a lovely view of all the coastline and the various inlets. Fascinating.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 11:16:49 PM »

George

Are you sure that in your picture of tree 1, the flowers are not from a climber climbing up the tree? and also are you sure the foliage in the picture shown below tree 1, is the foliage of tree 1.

Maybe you had too much of that sangria ? if not I apologise.  ;D

Malcolm