Author Topic: Argyranthemum 'Jamaica Primrose'  (Read 7263 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Argyranthemum 'Jamaica Primrose'
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:31:39 AM »
This plant bears a very soft yellow flower for months on end. Ive had flowers on it in December and a few in January before.
Definitely one of my favourite plants. You just can't beat that for performance, and I absolutely love the colour.

It propagates very easily from cuttings, and it doesn't seem to mind when you take them. I usually take them in late winter - and I mean Jan or Feb, as Ive seen them in full foliage, then being killed by a late frost. I also keep at least a couple of mature plants in pots in the greenhouse over winter, and propagate from them. Success rate is almost 100%

This winter? I lost the lot. I asked my sister if the ones I gave her had survived. No.

On a visit to Simons house (my son - he lives in a more sheltered region that me) I had a look at the plants I had give him (I gave away dozens last year). I found a small bit of greenery on one stem of one plant (all others looked dead)

There was only enough for one cutting, and that looked a bit tatty, and another very tiny fragment, leaving very little greenery on the plant.
I kept a watchful eye on them - almost willing them to strike. I'm delighted to say both took.
I was so surprised that I managed to get that small bit to root. The larger one showed signs of growth sooner, and I see roots emerging from the bottom of the pot (my cue for potting them on)
However, I'll wait a while yet until that little chappie is well established.

I reported my success to Simon, and he gave me a bigger surprise. His plant is still growing!!

Long live 'Jamaica Primrose' ;D

The moral of this story? Don't keep all your eggs in one basket ;)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:36:04 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

Re: Argyranthemum 'Jamaica Primrose'
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »
Another set of plants which do not survive a normal winter here.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
You should be able to overwinter that one in your Alpine house or similar Eric - in normal winters of course. The lesson I learned from above posting is to give it a little protection (in the case above from a neighbouring plant).

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »
We tried a few years back, all died, even in the tunnel. Remember the Alpine House and my greenhouse are open to the cold. There is glass only on the roof in the former and none in  the doors at either end of the latter and even in a normal winter we go pretty cold.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:49:09 PM by Palustris »