Author Topic: A walk in the Forest  (Read 2902 times)

NightHawk

A walk in the Forest
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
Managed to get out today for our first real walk in the New Forest since our arrival here.

Weather was dry and mild.

Took my new Panasonic digital compact camera with me, which fits nicely into my coat pocket.  I don't like carrying my bigger and heavier DSLR camera around whilst out walking and birdwatching, when I'm also carrying binoculars, scope and backpack.

Just took a few shots to test the performance.  Not bad results really.

The following photos are some scenes around the Wilverley Inclosure and Wilverley Plain areas of the New Forest, just 5 minutes drive away from our home.

This last photo is of a felled tree.  For a bit of fun, see who can be the first one to count the rings to see how old it was  :D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A walk in the Forest
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »
Nice place for a walk Laurie!
Your camera is giving very good results indeed :)

As for the rings, I'll leave it until bedtime (an alternative to counting sheep ;D)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »

Enjoy the trees while you can Laurie, they may not be there for much longer. :'( :'( :'(

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-plans-huge-selloff-of-britains-forests-2115631.html

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »
great pics looks like in pic 7 the trees were hit by good winds several years ago as they are leaning to the left and i counted 53 rings  ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
Thanks Phil.

Very observant about the leaning trees too, correctly identifying that I hadn't taken the photo at an angle  :)

You get first prize for counting the rings and establishing the tree to have been 53 years old.

We'll also be following closely the posting that Malcolm made above yours  >:(  :(

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »

Enjoy the trees while you can Laurie, they may not be there for much longer. :'( :'( :'(

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-plans-huge-selloff-of-britains-forests-2115631.html

Malcolm

Just read the link that is a real shame, yes the trees could be put to use afterwards, houses, futniture etc but just to sell off woodland for the sake of it for a golf course, in my opinion i dont like, some woodland companies treat the trees as a commercial product, they fell trees to sell too make stuff but they also replant in the felled trees place, which is good woodland managment

In ireland you actually get paid per acre each year tax free for growing forestry be it broadleaf, conifer etc, when its time to thin out or fell the trees you also get paid for the timber, then you simply replant and start the process again