Our Gardens > Plant Combinations

A group of my favourite plants.

<< < (2/3) > >>

NightHawk:
I know this is a very OLD topic, but I've just come across it and thought it would be interesting to revive it.

George, you had some wonderful combinations at the start of this topic.  Do you still have those growing or have you planted something else?

It would be nice to hear from our members what group/s of plants they have in their gardens that present a marvellous display, and work really well together.

Laurie.

ideasguy:
The Gyp died away Laurie, unfortunately. The Azalea is in full bloom right now and looking brilliant.
I have another white plant which survives better in other parts of the garden and will platn one there soon. (Name escapes me, will edit later)

The Erysimum helveticum continues  ;D even though it has had to content with a number of other plants which encroached e.g. Obedient Plant (Physostegia virginiana) proved to spread a lot. I took to that bed recently, and will restore it to its former glory (if it stops raining!)

The Acers are going great, in their glorious spring foliage right now. The talking point of visitors to our house yesterday.

NightHawk:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on May 22, 2009, 04:55:37 PM ---........ The Acers are going great, in their glorious spring foliage right now. The talking point of visitors to our house yesterday.

--- End quote ---
Ohhhh George, do I sense a garden tour coming on.  :D

Only kidding.  You have enough on your plate at the moment with all your software development.

If at some stage when you have an extremely quiet period, that would be a real treat and talking point to have your garden open to the public - maybe only once.  You have a wonderful garden, and would be a great feature on the Forum.  ;)

Anyway, I know your schedule is tight, so it's just a pipe-dream really. Ho-hum.  ::)

Laurie.

ideasguy:
I'd love to have it looking like it did at the turn of the century again, then I wouldnt mind inviting guests to have a look.
However, as for opening to the public, Ive never even given that a single thought, Laurie.
My agenda is to get it looking at its best for taking photos for my web sites.
I think thats my ultimate objective. Who knows, one day I might have time to sit on one of those seats and enjoy it, without getting agitated spotting things which need done!
I love having personal friends and family look around the garden, especially folk who appreciate plants.

That white plant I mentioned earlier is Arenaria montana. It does really well in my garden.

Trevor Ellis:
A combination that I always liked in my previous garden was Rosa 'Sally Holmes' underplanted with 'Diascia rigescens'. The pink of the diascia responded with the slight pink flush in Sally Holmes. Any trained painter knows that using even the smallest amount of a colour that occurs in larger areas elswhere in an image sets up a reaction, a kind of sympathetic response which the eye detects. All of us react to this phenomenon but most people aren't aware of what's going on. Painters use this technique, amongst many others, to create both unities and tensions in paintings. Some gardeners, as do some painters, designers etc, just do this instinctively. Some have the knowledge. Gertrude Jekyll was a gardener who was very conscious of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version