Our Gardens > Plant Combinations

A group of my favourite plants.

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
The little white flowered plant (Gypsophila repens) is supposed to be prostrate, but it legged its way up through the neighbouring pink Azalea. I was afraid of it kiling the Azalea, but it looked do good, that I decided to take the risk (it survived OK, but I cut the Gyp back a bit after the riot of flowers had subsided.)

I placed my Acer 'Osakazuki' in the frame. Its still in a pot, so can be placed anywhere where it will look pleasing. It pleases me no matter where it goes!

The yellow Erysimum helveticum is a colour contrast, but that plant grew asĀ  a volunteer (stray seed) so I very gratefully let it grow. Its a great plant and I thought it had died out in my garden. Very relieved to see it self propagating itself again.

Theres two other purple leaved Acer cultivars in the back centre and back right, but not showing up too good in this photo.

ideasguy:
This is a close up of the Gypsophila repens and the Azalea

Pixydish:
Beautiful color combinations, George! Those maples, especially the one in the second photo with the almost salmon colored leaves, are lovely! I have been focusing more on color combinations this year. One of the ones I just put in which I look forward to next year is Hydrangea m. 'Amethyst' alongside Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight', both planted in front of a large Sambucus 'Madonna'. I will have to find a way to get webspace for some photos so that I can post some here for you. A picture is worth a thousand words!

GardenChick:
Hey George.  That gypsophila looks a lot like Ceranthus or snow in summer.  Does it have silver foliage?   If not, and you know how I like silver foliage, it may be a good combo with the Acer.  I have it under all of my burgundy Barberry

ideasguy:
Hooray! The cavalry has arrived.

Youve done it before Laura! I could not have got our first ideasforgardens forum working without your help. Here we go again!

You are very welcome here, I can assure you, so chill out after driving 3500 miles in a mere 3 weeks, take those snow boots off and make yourself comfortable. You are now on a computer housed in mild (relative to Michigan) London, England!

That little prostrate Gyp does not have silver foliage, Chick. Unlike the "Snow-in-summer" It goes a bit ragged in winter, but it is a real assett in summer. Lovely with that pink Azalea (in the photo) , and yes, great with our beloved Acers.

Have you tried Diascia with your burgundy plants? I absolutely adore them. I have two... a pink and a salmon, and plan to get some more. I have the pink in a pot with my Acer tamukeyama

Heres a photo to drool over:
http://www.worldplants.com/tamukeyama.htm

I note that it says:
The reason is that 'Tamukeyama' is able to hold its burgundy color through hot, humid summers
A good one for you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version