Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

Parsnips

<< < (2/2)

Palustris:
Yes, otherwise we get lots of tiny ones rather than reasonable sized. If you do the thinning when the soil is very wet and the seedlings are very tiny you can actually replant the thinnings, as long as you do not break or damage the tiny tap root. You can sow them in modules and plant out too, again as long as the tap root is not compromised in any way. I have heard of them being sown in cardboard tubes and allowed to get to a decent size before planting out, remove the cardboard if you do this and again do not disturb the roots. Never tried that myself though.

ideasguy:
The transplanting sounds like a lot of tricky work Eric.

I thin mine out, but not as much as recommended. I then pull strong looking ones when they have grown to about half "usable" size (poke around in the soil to test) and quite young and tender, to arrive at the specified spacing. We have had a dinner with the thinnings - some quite large.

As for carrots, I thin them much the same method, but the thinning is a gradual thing - we like to eat them raw (after a good wash of course ::)) They are now a respectable "dinner size" ;D

I wouldn't recommend this method, I hasten to add. The allotment folk would probably be horrified at the suggestion :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version