Author Topic: Weekend break  (Read 3605 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Weekend break
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
We are on a weekend break with Tara in Manchester. Flew over yesterday evening and back home Tuesday.
I was flat out working dawn to dusk all week in preparation, hence my lack of activity on the forum.
In this heat wave, I was having to water things in the greenhouse and surrounding staging regularly, so was preparing ground to plant as much as possible before leaving. A lot of bedding plants remain (antirrinhium, asters, statice, primulas etc).
The boys are in charge and neighbours and neighbours on either side have kindly offered to keep an eye on things until I get back.
Time to relax!

NightHawk

Re: Weekend break
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
Have a great time in Manchester George (I know you will  ;) )

Temperatures in the south are currently soaring.  26°C today, 27°C tomorrow and 25°C for the rest of the week.

Dry and sunny until Tuesday with a chance of light rain on Wednesday.

Managed to get all the grass cut yesterday so relaxing today  ::)

Has summer finally arrived I wonder?  :-\  Hope so.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
and the plants are loving it Laurie. Ive never seen the garden looking so well (back home)
Ive been put to work here! Just finished cutting the grass in a good sized back garden and now seeing if I can plug in somewhere to do the front (the ladies are shopping!)
Not ONE flower in the garden :'(

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »
Have a great time, George. 29 degrees here at the moment so what it is in full sunlight I can't imagine. A full watering programme planned for this evening

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
Thanks Eric - its blistering hot here, and has been all day.
Ive been soaking up the rays, relaxing in a comfy seat. Just in for something refreshing.
Not much watering to do here ;D
But, we may buy some flowers to make us feel at home ;D ;

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
We had a lovely day out here yesterday:
Www.chatsworth.org

The tour of the house was very well organised.
I didn't bring my camera as Tara has her iPhone. It's much nicer to stroll around and enjoy the lovely weather.

Tara's birthday today. Shopping on the agenda and an evening meal booked at Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant this evening.
I can't believe this weather, and its set to last all week!

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:54 AM »
Chatsworth House is beautiful, as are the gardens.  We visited here a few times when we lived up north  ;D

Happy birthday to Tara.

Enjoy your meal.

Trying to keep as cool as possible during these current high temperatures.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
Thanks Laurie!

I thought you might have visited Chatsworth :)
Its wonderful to have places like this to visit and see how lavish things were (for some :D) three hundred years ago!
It really is steeped in history and the paintings depicted the events at the time.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
Glad you enjoyed Chatsworth, George. We have been a couple of times but so long ago it was pre digital camera days.
Happy birthday to Tara and enjoy your day with her.

We are hoping for the fine weather to continue because one of our grandsons is getting married in Oriel College Chapel, Oxford, on Saturday. On Friday our Canadian son, Mark will arrive with family (five of them) so the house will be very full for the weekend. It will be good to be able to overflow into the garden. Still a bit on the hot side for me, having been born and bred in Barnard Castle. 20 degrees C is my ideal temperature.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »
Have a safe journey back George.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
Thanks Laurie - we arrived home safely around 5:30pm :)
Our neighbours have done a great job - theres nothing frizzled in the greenhouse!
Just pulled a large bowl of raspberries - and the rest of the evening will be spent watering plants.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »
I've been reading the posts on this thread but not had time to comment until now.  Glad you had a lovely trip and time with family George.  The watering is a non-stop regime here since this hot weather began a couple of weeks ago, and we ate our first bowl of raspberries last night :)

Congratulations to Eric on being a grandfather of the groom this weekend coming.  Try not to overdo things looking after houseguests in this heat!  We were at a wedding on Saturday in Nottingham.  It was very hot but the venue was superb with lots of outdoor seating and a dining room open fully down one side to the patio area.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Congratulations to Eric on being a grandfather of the groom this weekend coming.  Try not to overdo things looking after houseguests in this heat!
Thank you Trish -- and we will try not to overdo things!

By the way, I remember you enquiring about the progress of Rosa Kiftsgate the other day. Have you seen the progress photo taken yesterday? We are  very proud of it http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1007.msg14998/topicseen.html#msg14998

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »
Yes, I saw it!  I am in awe, and slightly terrified by its magnificence ;)  The bees for miles around must be treating it like Mecca?