Plants > Conifers

identifying our conifers

(1/2) > >>

trishs:
We have quite a lot of different conifers throughout our garden, all which we have planted ourselves.  Some I know the names of but others have got forgotten over the years and the labels are long gone or buried.  I do however have a notebook listing what varieties we had in the late 70s and 80s.  I know at least one of the miniatures died in its pot one very hot summer (red spider) but I'm finding it difficult to match old names to existing plants.  I was wondering if I posted pictures here someone might be able to help?  This first picture shows a plant we bought that even the nursery could not identify at the time of purchase.  I was a poor yellowy sickly thing in the reduced section at Blooms but look at it now, the tree immediately behind the Prunus Serrula, adjacent to Picea Breweriana.

And here it was one summer at its most entertaining.

Palustris:
Is this site any use to you?
http://herbaria.plants.ox.ac.uk/bol/conifers

ideasguy:
That Picea Breweriana is a fine specimen Trish!

I have an excellent book on Conifers.
Try your local library and look for a book called simply Conifers, by D.M. van Gelderen and J.R.P. van Hoey Smith.
If they don't have it, ask them to try other libraries for you.
Its an excellent resource.

Just had a quick look up.
I think your conifer is a Picea. It would require close inspection (by an expert ::)) for a positive ID.
Those drooping cones are a good "clue".
They look quite "red" in your photo. From memory, was that their true colour?
Here's some "close fits".
Picea pungens 'Hoto'
Picea jezoensis
Picea jezoensis var. hondoensis
Picea likiangensis

Have fun!

trishs:

--- Quote from: Palustris on March 18, 2013, 12:29:04 PM ---Is this site any use to you?
http://herbaria.plants.ox.ac.uk/bol/conifers

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link, I think it's the same one I once found when I briefly googled but then didn't have sufficient brain power to follow through!  I couldn't figure out how to make use of the site :(

trishs:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on March 20, 2013, 10:53:18 AM ---That Picea Breweriana is a fine specimen Trish!

I have an excellent book on Conifers.
Try your local library and look for a book called simply Conifers, by D.M. van Gelderen and J.R.P. van Hoey Smith.
If they don't have it, ask them to try other libraries for you.
Its an excellent resource.

Just had a quick look up.
I think your conifer is a Picea. It would require close inspection (by an expert ::)) for a positive ID.
Those drooping cones are a good "clue".
They look quite "red" in your photo. From memory, was that their true colour?
Here's some "close fits".
Picea pungens 'Hoto'
Picea jezoensis
Picea jezoensis var. hondoensis
Picea likiangensis

Have fun!

--- End quote ---

Thanks George :)  I once got quite close to deciding what it was but then foolishly never made a note of the name.  I think I may have mentioned it in livejournal post a few years back, at the time when all the pretty cones appeared.  It's all a bit too demanding for my poor old brain atm so I was hoping for cleverer folk than me to spot anything obvious.  I think I'm going to start another post in this section and put up all the pictures and try and name them.  It might be of interest to anyone else who has conifers and even if not it'll help me get an overview of what we have got  :) and the ones I don't know the names of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version