Author Topic: Salvias  (Read 6216 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Salvias
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:18:35 AM »
Ive been doing some research on these plants,after falling for Salvia 'Hot Lips'.
I found this UK web site with good information.
http://dysons-salvias.co.uk/index.htm
Reading about William Dyson, it looks like those plants are addictive!
Garden and Nursery based in Kent

It would appear we have another name conflict.
The RHS Plant Finder has this plant as Salvia × jamensis 'Hot Lips'                                                           
On William Dysons web page you'll find it referred to as Salvia microphylla ?Hot Lips?

Ive tried a number of times to get a good close up of Hot Lips. Try again tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:27:13 AM by ideasguy »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Salvias
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »
For a beginning the Gardener's Guide to Growing Salvias by JohnSutton 0-7153-0803-3. is an interesting read.  They are mentioned in a book called Mints by Barbar Lawson, but that does not go into real detail on them.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
Thanks for that Eric - I'll look out for the John Sutton book in our library.

On a photo shoot in a Rose Society of N ireland members garden I spotted this dainty little plant (a Salvia) with pink flowers- height about 10 ins, spread about 20ins. It was quite woody. I bought one of their stock plants (proceeds to Rose Society).
It died over winter in my garden  :'(

Next task will be to try and find a name for it, so I can get a replacement. I'm going through the Rose Society photos, so will locate that photo soon, and post it here.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
Hi
The plant finder should be giving the correct name and we should always go by this.
Orinally the plant was listed as microphylla I assume that the RHS have reviewed since then.
It is a plant that we had as a new introduction last year but not exclusive.
Quite often the first flowers will open either pure white or pure red, but  they will change to the red lipped flowers which is how it got its name.
It originated from San Francisco Botanical Garden, having been found by Richard Turner - editor of Pacific Hort Magazine, his Mexican Maid had included it a floral disply, plants which had originated in Mexico.
I have a picture somewhere.
I also have the plant in my garden, it overwinters well, keeping its leave all winter. Needs a sheltered well drained spot, ideally quite dry in the winter. Other than a light prune its quite trouble free.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »
Thanks for that, Paul. In the latest Master Database, I'd already gone for the × jamensis option for that very reason.

Its great to have the RHS Plant Finder on-line, to resolve any confusion.

We need to be aware that some names are changed from year to year, of course, for a number of valid reasonn.
I buy the RHS Plant Finder book each year, and Ive spotted a few. Go with the latest of course.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »
Here is a picture.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
I'm rather alarmed that I never replied to this!

That is an exceptionally good photo, Paul. Ive tried numerous times to geta good photo of Hot Lips, but they never come out as good as that. Did you take the photo?

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
All my own work taken with a Canon 350D.
Hot Lips really is a cracking Salvia though I suspect a lot will have died over the recent winter. I think mine in my garden is still alive, you should look out for another one now called Icing Sugar.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
Now hear this!

My Salvia Hot Lips looked dead for the world after that dreadful winter.
I have it (only one in my collection) in the Heart Garden.
Tonight, cutting the grass I had another mournful look, and guess what?
Two little shoots  ;D ;D ;D 8)
I'm delighted!
They are on side shoots, near the end of a very bare stem! I pruned the plant to shape (cant remember exactly when) and that probably was not a good idea, but I didn't expect that harsh winter!

Are they easy to propagate? Haven't tried them before.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
Never tried that one, but most of the woody types are easy from semi ripe cuttings taken in the normal way.
They rarely survive here but we do have a couple, Salvia caerulescens is a silver leafed (very) blue flowered tiny one and the ubiquitous S. argentea. The only other special is one called S. Darceyi. We can just about keep that if we greenhouse it over winter.