Author Topic: Longest day - 2013  (Read 2936 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Longest day - 2013
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
I'm afraid it ended rather dismally :(
We have been very lucky all week, sunshine and nice and warm - in fact much better that the forecast gave for each day.
Had a great push in the garden and its beginning to take shape. I've taken photos and will post over the weekend.
The weather man got it right for today, unfortunately :) Its making a halfhearted attempt to rain this evening so I'm on the computer. (I had hoped to get the grass cut before it came on)
I'm not complaining - the garden needs a good soaking. Changeable weather forecast for the weekend.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Re: Longest day - 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »
Pretty much what you said applies here too, except that we couldn't do much today as I had a dental appointment.

We have managed to catch up with important bits of weeding and planting, and I've even managed to pot on the four plants I bought on Wednesday at Stillingfleet Lodge. 

Our son and his family will have returned from his week away so hopefully his little greenhouse will also soon arrive and be ready to take the tomato plants I am currently bonsaing for him prior to transporting to his place! 

I have two lots of unidentified seedlings to prick out next week.  I was sure I'd remember what they were when I set them off last year lol.  Similarly I have monster plants growing which I planted out last year also grown from seed and I have no idea what they were either!  Time will tell I guess.  I just hope they are not sneaky weeds!  Then I still have the interminable 'dead pots' and 'weedy pots' to finish, but they're like the Forth Bridge.

I'm hoping there will be some fine weather today so that Rog can cut a few paths on the hill, then I can go 0n an expedition and see what's growing up there.  I'm hoping to find hay rattle and orchids *fingers crossed*.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »
Wind and rain here at the moment, grey sky all around us, although the weather forecast reckons it's going to get out dry and sunny by this afternoon.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
RE: Trish
I'm hoping there will be some fine weather today so that Rog can cut a few paths on the hill
Ah, that brings back memories :D
When we moved here the garden had lain fallow for a few years.
I lost my wheelbarrow in the long grass and other growth at the top of the garden ;D Spent ages looking for it :D

We had heavy rain around 6am (so my wife tells me ::))
Blustery with a couple of light showers this morning and I'm just about to go out and try cutting the grass.

Offline Pensioner

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
Ever the pessimist: the days are now drawing in.  Look out for winter next week.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »
It felt like it too!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
How apt Richard! Its COLD and quite windy here today. We went to Dobbies for lunch followed by a little shopping - him in the Garden Centre, her inside. Him spent more than her (on plants)::)
http://www.dobbies.com/find-a-garden-centre/lisburn/
My favourite shopping centre! Quality plants - always.

I had to postpone the grass cutting until yesterday evening as it rained on and off all day. Finally decided I'd better get the back garden done after 7pm. Started and even though the grass was wet, it was cutting quite well. Another shower!
On with the raincoat and kept going. Finished the back and side garden (it wasn't a big shower) and decided to take a light cut off the front to pretty it up for the weekend. To my surprise, it cut like butter and didn't clog the mower too much. Job done at 9pm followed by the edging which takes about 15mins.
Have you ever noticed how nice the lawn looks after cutting when wet/damp? My old and new lawnmowers have a heavy roller (I like the stripes) and it rolls much better when damp.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:38:35 PM by ideasguy »