Author Topic: New Forest Snowfall  (Read 3624 times)

NightHawk

New Forest Snowfall
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
Woke this morning to find a blanket of snow here in the New Forest in the south of England.

We're currently on 'Amber Alert' snow warning, which means we can expect up to 10cm of snowfall.  We've easily had that much already and as I write it's still falling.

Kathy and I went out for a little walk this morning.  A lot of the rural roads around us are either impassable or closed completely to traffic at the moment.

Didn't go too deeply into the Forest, but I got a few shots of the snow scene just a couple a minutes walk from our house.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New Forest Snowfall
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »
Brrrrr!
Lovely photos Laurie. Hope you enjoyed the walk :)

We are also on amber alert here in Ireland. Weatherman expected us to wake up to a blanket of snow - instead it was raining where I live.
It turned to slushy snow/sleet and it hasn't stopped all day. Julian (my son) is here waiting for young James returning from a school outing to a Pantomime in Belfast (we live close to his school). There is snow where he lives and that's only a few miles away. Not a good day for travelling!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »
Nice pics Laurie. Plenty of footprints so quite a few people have been out walking. The ponies look fairly snug under their covers too. Conditions are much the same here so we old folks haven't emerged.

Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
Thanks Eric.

The footprints are mainly of other dog walkers.  The New Forest is a fantastic place generally, but great for walking with your dog.

We didn't have our little Yorkshire Terrier with us on this occasion though.  The snow was too deep for her  ::)

The horses were in a field and had just been fed with some hay, which can just be seen by the horse on the right.  It was tucking in nicely but popped its head up briefly to look at us as I took the photo, but carried on eating again when we left.

Our walk was just for a bit of exercise, and to experience the New Forest in deep snowfall.

It hasn't snowed here since yesterday evening - thankfully, and according to the weather forecast the snow is moving northwards and eastwards.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
The snow is descending upon us again!

Started this morning with very tiny intermittent flakes, but got larger as the day went on.

It's not heavy enough to be laying (at the moment anyway), but there's a bitterly cold easterly wind.

Still went out for a walk in the forest this morning, then braved a coastal walk at Barton-on-Sea - brrrr!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Still bitterly cold in the Chilterns too, Laurie. We had large snowflakes falling for about an hour and a half this afternoon but like you, they haven't settled.

We took Benji to Ascott House (NT property near Wing in Bucks) on Easter Monday. Normally there are large swathes of daffodils and narcissi at this time of year but the buds were stubbornly closed. An attendant told us that this time last year they were almost over.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
That is bizarre Laurie :o

Hope it clears quicker than here ::) In contrast to your weather, it was sunny and a good day for the garden.
Once I got up to working temperature it felt good to be gardening again.

I'm pleased to read that the flowers are generally late Eric (same here) - at least they are still to come and cheer us up in spring - when it eventually arrives ;D