General Category > Questions and Answers

Sycamore Problem

(1/4) > >>

NightHawk:
We had a sycamore type tree in our front garden about 4 to 5 years ago, that had grown to a height of about 10 feet.

It was in between another shrub (name unknown) and some holly bushes.

The unknown shrub used to have flowers on it until this sycamore started to get bigger.

I cut the sycamore down to ground level, but the other shrub no longer flowers and it is very 'twiggy.'  We assume that the sycamore had stolen the nutrients from it which caused it to become weak.  The holly bushes are unaffected.

The sycamore has started to grow again, and has now reached a height of about 6 feet, so apparently cutting it down wasn't particularly effective.

Does anyone know how to deal with them to stop future growth?  Would digging up its root sytem be an answer?

Any suggestions welcome please.

Laurie.

roiphil:

--- Quote from: Kathy & Laurie on May 20, 2009, 11:03:14 AM ---Would digging up its root sytem be an answer?

Any suggestions welcome please.

Laurie.

--- End quote ---

worth a try

NightHawk:
Thanks Phil.

That option was going to be my last resort though.  I don't want to risk damaging the root systems of the surrounding shrubbery if at all possible.

I'm hoping maybe someone knows if there's anything that you can paint onto the cut-down trunk to stop new growth.

Failing that, I'll have to try digging it up.  :-\

Laurie.

Palustris:
There is a method. Our friend used to to get rid of a very invasive and vigorous Hazel. I cut it down to ground level for him with the chain saw. Then, he drilled holes in the remaining stump and poured something in and sealed the holes. It has not regrown. I think it was old engine oil, but not sure. However, there is a weedkiller sold as Stump killer and I think the advice on there is to do much the same thing.

Edited to add.
http://www.aie.org.uk/trunkline/aie_tr_stump.html
SBK is the stuff, nasty but it does work.

NightHawk:
Thanks for that Eric.

I followed your link and as you say, SBK is nasty stuff.

However, being careful in its application it does seem the better option than trying to dig up its root system.

I'll check around to see if I can get it locally or failing that, via the Internet.

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version