Author Topic: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.  (Read 98757 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »

Nice pictures Eric, I particularly like the Cosmos, the light and sharpness have captured it brilliantly.  8)

Malcolm

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2009, 09:53:39 PM »
I have to say those photos are excellent, Eric, the Cosmos and Love-in-a-mist in particular.
Thank you George. It is interesting you should pick out those two particular photos which were, as I said, taken a different year (although some are flowering now). Those were taken on my old FujiFilm 9500.
I'm envious! How do you manage to get so many blooms on your Hibiscus?
................. they are slow growing plants with me so neat rather than troublesome.
Well our hibiscus could hardly be called neat or slow growing, it romps away. I have cut it down to about 2 feet high on a couple of occasions and it has shot back with renewed vigour. It seems to like being treated cruelly.
Love the posy 8)Theres a special section on the forum for posies if you happen to enjoy those little arrangements. We certainly do.
Thank you George, I will look out for that for future shots.

Nice pictures Eric, I particularly like the Cosmos, the light and sharpness have captured it brilliantly.
Thank you Malcolm. Interesting that you picked out the cosmos shot. You will have seen what I said to George, above.

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »
October 1st 2009

Still some colour about. In fact the sumac is beginning to put on its autumn display. The ground is a dry as dust, we haven't had rain for ages and are having to water.
Some roses are still in flower and that jasmine by our bedroom window, George, still has flowers. I made a note of the date ages ago when you asked how long it flowered and I mislaid the note  >:(. We even still have a solitary hollyhock in flower.

Here are a few shots, all taken today in the back garden.

The love-in-the-mist is still going strong

A few Japanese anemones are still in flower

The odd lupin is still hanging on and the penstemons putting on a show.

A few nasturtiums survive the ravages of cabbage white caterpillars which kept gorging themselves on the leaves

This cosmos is a giant, it is almost five feet tall and more like a small bush.

Even the honesty seeds cheer the place up a bit. Anthea has the habit of rubbing the outsides off to expose the silvery bit.

Then there are the Michaelmas Daisies which are such a stand by at this time of year.

Finally the dill looks like a small tree. All the other shots were taken today but this particular shot was taken at the same time of year but in 2002

We have finally accepted that we can't cope and a chap from the village is now giving us three hours a week. Not much, but it is better than no hours at all. At least some of the weeds are disappearing  :) Soon we will have to have someone in to cope with all the cutting back and the hedges. It is very frustrating, I still can't raise my right arm after my fall a few months ago (snap, George  :)). They gave it a scan today at the hospital but I don't know what they found.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
Great photos again Eric, and some really lovely blooms.

We have Love-In-The-Mist in our front garden and it's a gorgeous looking flower.

Snap with the Lupin too Eric.  If you saw my post yesterday I showed our Lupin 'Gallery Yellow' Dwarf still putting on a good show.  8)

Excellent.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos Eric. Its made a pleasant ending to my eventful day :)

I'm sorry to hear your arm is still giving you trouble. Thats a long recovery period. I hope the medics can do something to help you.
Still, with that new found help, you can elevate from Head Gardener to Lord of the Manor :D

Dry as a bone eh?
We've had a dry spell for over a week now (thats rather unusual!)
The soil in one part of my garden was so heavy I just hated weeding it. I went out today and its still heavy, yet my garden is very free draining. Solution - plant some plants that like most soil!
Two I like are Rodgersia and Actaea simplex. Also could use Primulas

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »
If you saw my post yesterday I showed our Lupin 'Gallery Yellow' Dwarf still putting on a good show. 
Thanks Laurie. I tried to find your post but haven't succeeded. Please will you direct me to it?

NightHawk

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2009, 08:18:40 AM »
Here's the link Eric - Lupin 'Gallery Yellow'.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »
Its made a pleasant ending to my eventful day :)
Glad I cheered you up George.
I am surprised that the love-in-the-mist is so late flowering this year. No seed pods yet either.  I took this one of love-in-the-mist and columbine seed pods on the 6th October 2002.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
Yes, the Nigella are unusually late Eric.
I have a few (self seeded in open ground) which were very late to germinate. They made their appearance after I had weeded that patch. I'll check on their progress today.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
October 27th.

This Indian summer is amazing   8). We have been sitting in the warmth of the sunlight in the last week of October and I was amazed at how many plants are still flowering. I counted the following plants in our garden that have at least one specimen in bloom :-

Aster (lots); Penstemon; Lupin; Cosmos; Corydalis lutea; Love-in-the-Mist; a pink Poinsettia; Periwinkle; Marigold; Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris  ;));  Hypericum; several Fuschias; seven varieties of rose including Mermaid, Alberic Barbier, New Dawn, Summer Breeze and Nevada; Nasturtium (which have recovered from an earlier infestation of caterpillars); Geranium (lots), a small pink Cistus: Japanese Anemone: Abutilon (which has been in flower for months); Winter Jasmine; and the Jasmine which climbs up to our bedroom window still has a few blooms having also been flowering for months).

I expect Lyn and Malcolm have much still in flower but I wondered how you are faring  oop north  :) and Northern Ireland? :)

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:22 PM »
What a refreshing posting - a nice break for me from this intensive development. Been at the computer all day and getting square eyed!

We have noticed those barmy temperatures you've been having on the National weather forecasts.
Over here its cooler, but even so we have had some days in October that were more like mid summer.

Like you, we have lots of colour in the garden. The Dahlias haven't got whacked by frost yet and they are giving a great show.
Tomorrow, I'll take a break and walk around the garden and make a list like yours. Its very informative for others I'm sure.
I can see a number of plants which I don't have, and its always nice to have something to add to the wish list.
e.g. Abutilon (I tried one once before but it may not have been in a good site)
Any photos of that a pink Poinsettia Eric? Tell me more about that one please.

Over here, Argyranthemums, Osteospermums, Fuchsias, Penstemons and Asters are still going and are spectacular. Definitely to be recommended.
I grew a Salvia patens from seed this year and it has flowered very well in its first season and getting more impressive each week!
Those California poppies are endless and very cheery and colourful in the garden. I was influenced by the show they made at RHS Gardens- Hyde Hall when I visited last May.

Thanks for cheering me up. Cant wait to get back to the Gardening Software again!

Enjoy that warm sunlight Eric!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2009, 06:03:32 AM »
I am glad I cheered you up, George  :)

No wonder you were interested in the pink  Poinsettia in the garden George  :o that would have been quite an interesting plant!!.. Unfortunately that was old age  :( and a complete slip of the pen.  What I meant was the  Potentilla which is lovely but not nearly as exciting as an outdoor pink Poinsettia!  I don't know this ones name but here it is, taken at the end of August. The flowers are about 7/8 inch across. I have the name noted somewhere but I have not been able to unearth it for the database as yet.

I have read my list again and I think that was the only error  ??? Sorry to have aroused your interest in a fictitious plant  :-[ Don't add it to your wish list  ;D

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2009, 08:03:14 AM »
Awwwww :'(
Pink Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima 'Eric and Anthea'  ;)) is now off the urgent wish list :D but if one should come up as a sport let me know :)
I don't like Euphorbias so not terribly dissappointed  ;D They are very invasive here.

But, I do like that soft pink Potentilla.
You may recall we talked about propagating this on another thread.
I had managed a few, rooted last year. Only one has survived, but I'm more than happy about that. Its only about 4ins high and weeping (spreading) over the sides of its pot, but it managed to cover itself with flowers, so I know Ive got the right one ;)

If you find the name of yours, please let me know and we can add it to the Master Database, when I get back to very enjoyable things again.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »
If you find the name of yours, please let me know and we can add it to the Master Database, when I get back to very enjoyable things again.
Found it  :). Potentilla fruticosa "Princess"

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
Thanks Eric!

Ive done my walkabout, and took photos of anything in bloom, and there are lots of things!
One surprise was Exochorda x macrantha The Bride. Just one flowering stem, buds are about to open.
From a web site:
The pure white flowers of this shrub give rise to the name - The Bride - or the Pearl Bush. (The opening flower buds resemble groups of pearls>
Exochorda x macrantha The Bride, is an early summer flowering shrub that needs pruning at the correct time.
Early summer? I wish it was. This little plant is confused :D

I had a real problem with Cosmos atrosanguineus (the chocolate plant)
In my viewfinder, the colour was nothing at all like the deep chocolate colour of the flowers.
I'll upload them later and see what they are like. Right now, the garden beckons. Its a lovely mild dry day here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:27:10 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
Exochorda x macrantha The Bride.
I have just looked at pictures on the Internet. It looks nice. I look forward to your own  photos.

I missed one off my list. I cut the giant thistles right down some time ago and blow me they are up again and just about to burst into flower.

It is unnaturally warm today. We have had our two stalwart garden helpers, Paul and Sean, cutting hedges and pruning back the shrubs. They have managed to tidy up Kiftsgate too. I have been out quite a lot to keep my eye on things and I have been in shirtsleeves all the time. It frustrates me I can no longer do it myself  :(

We always try to get everything done before November 5th because all the stuff that is no good for compost goes on the village bonfire which is not far away on the common. We also have three compost compartments made of wooden pallets. There are always good wooden pallets on the bonfire so when necessary we exchange an old rotten pallet for a new one, after all they are all going to go up in smoke. Five have been exchanged today. Here is a picture of the bonfire two years ago. You can just make out the pallets going up.

Paul and Sean managed to disturb a wasps nest (they said hornets!) and managed to get a few stings  :o Anthea has been administering antihistamine cream!

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »
We have had pretty high winds recently but surprisingly a lot of the beech leaves are clinging on. Our mermaid ourside our first floor bedroom window is still flowering. It must have had blooms for almost six months now! The wind has been bashing it against the window so it is pretty bashed and bruised but I took a picture. The double glazing is sandwiched between a cyclomen inside and the rose outside so the rose is a bit less sharp. Pretty cheering on the 18th November.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
Indeed it is Eric. We also have an indoor Cyclamen on our kitchen windowsill, and it is a stunner!
If they become discarded, I plant them outdoors. They survive, but are reluctant to flower again.
Anyone know why?

Anyway, Mermaid is obviously a very desirable plant. A Rose with that long period of perpetual flowers is commendable.
Thanks for cheering us up on a wet November day Eric!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2009, 04:10:05 PM »
To cheer us up in December we have a climbing rose with several blooms still and it's name is Summer Breeze !!!!  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »
That Rose must have put on a special show for Anthea, Eric. Well, Jessie (3fren, our forum friend from Singapore) did post a topic only a few days ago to say plants have feelings ;)
Perhaps its saying Hang on in there and we can all look forward to the next Summer Breeze :)
Best wishes to you all!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
I read that out to Anthea, George and she said "Why are people so nice to me?"  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2009, 09:24:30 AM »
Because you are both nice, of course!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2009, 09:29:45 AM »
 :D :D

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »
DECEMBER!

With Anthea and I not too active I had some wonderful help in the garden today  :D. My treasure Paul and his mate came for 6 hours and worked wonders.  They work hard and never paused for breath apart from the numerous cups of (very strong and sweet) tea we provide. Paul even cut the lawns on the 10th December. That is the latest I ever remember.

All the hedges are neat from their last visit but there was still a lot to do. The main project I was keen on was the compost. We have three alternating compartments behind the greenhouse constructed of wooden pallets and after some years these have begun to rot. These have been completely rebuilt with new (old) pallets and loads of compost applied to the beds and vegetable patch. But HORROR  ::) When they got to the bottom of the compost there was almost a mat of bindweed root! Paul reckoned they had come from next door but I am not sure. We are always having to pull it out of the yew hedge. There was half a barrow full of solid bindweed root to be put in a plastic bag and in the bin. Perhaps the dump will be enhanced by lovely flowers next year  :)

We always prided ourselves that we never had help in the garden but I must say that at our age I am not proud any more  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »
RE:
Perhaps the dump will be enhanced by lovely flowers next year 
As long as it doesn't get distributed around the garden :)

No need to feel bad about not being able to do it yourselves, Eric. I am very sure it will ake Anthea feel much happier knowing that the essential maintenance work is being done. I shudder to think what it would be like to look out at my garden and see so many things which need attention and be unable to cope. That work will give you a head start when the Summer Breeze returns ;)