Author Topic: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.  (Read 98765 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.
« Reply #300 on: June 19, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
Thanks, Trish.

My goodness, you were up late (or VERY early). Your post is timed at 1:58 am   :)

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #301 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
Its a very nice white Clematis, Eric. 8)
I hope we can find a name for it - I would buy one :D
A friend of mine referred me to these websites, What do you think, they look similar?

Possible Spring Sensation?
mybeautfulthings.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/whi te-clematis-...

Or Early Sensation:
garden-photos-com.photoshelter.com/gallery-im age/White-Fl...

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #302 on: June 20, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Thanks, Trish.

My goodness, you were up late (or VERY early). Your post is timed at 1:58 am   :)

Eric H

Oh yes, I rarely go to bed before 1am, and sometimes it does get to after 2am.  I like reading and writing stuff at the computer when I know I am not going to be disturbed, I can concentrate better.  Also it is now a necessary part of my daily routine since I was prescribed calcium tablets to ward off osteoporosis.  They are  only  effective when taken two hours after food and drink, and neither can be consumed for at least two hours after!  I just don't have four hours spare during the day so I have them two hours after my last bedtime drink which can be any time from ten to nearly eleven.  It also fits nicely with my "cooling-off" period after my nightly hot bath (which takes the arthritis pain away) which then induces sleep.  I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow :)  Mornings are always slow and difficult for me though and I get up later than ~normal~ people.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #303 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »
Hello, Trish.
I am so sorry to hear about your arthritis pains. I get some pretty painful twinges in my hip but I am sure not as bad as yours. Anthea of course does suffer from osteoporosis and also takes calcium tablets. She has what the doctor cheerfully describes as degeneration of the spine. That is why she often figures in a wheelchair in my photos.
Take care
Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #304 on: June 21, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »
I sympathise with anyone living in pain. Good to see that you brave folk can cope.

Adam has a big job on his hands with that large garden Eric. I'm impressed at how he has it looking so good.
The gardening genes are definitely evident Eric and Anthea!

Thanks for the links you posted for the White Clematis.
Spring Sensation in this one.
http://mybeautfulthings.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/white-clematis-white-iris-and-baby-beauty/
Good find there Eric :)
Exploring that site a bit more, I love the arch in one of the photos on the long list of photos on the home page:
http://mybeautfulthings.wordpress.com/
The lady who published these is from Cornwall.

and Early Sensation in this:
http://garden-photos-com.photoshelter.com/gallery/White-Flowers-Stock-Images-Photos/G00001Qp5wE47Fk0/
Theres another nice white clematis in there called Guernsey Cream
Good work again ;)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:04:48 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the sympathy, George. Thanks too for the extra links. We spend a lot of time in this lovely weather just sitting and enjoying looking at the garden. Kiftsgate is excelling itself at the moment, in full bloom and as rampant as ever. Obsessively tidy gardeners don't like its untidy growth but we love it.
Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
We aren't used to periods of warm pleasant and dry weather over here in the North of Ireland. We often look in envy at the the weather forecasts showing higher temperatures and no cloud cover over the South East of England, but now its here, it means a lot of extra work - watering  plants:D
I have to keep a very close eye on the younger plants coming on in the greenhouse. Ive had a few frizzle up already!
Lots of plants on the outdoor staging need regular attention and anything recently planted need the same level of monitoring and care.
All that means considerably less time available to keep the garden under control and for planting those things in pots into permanent positions.
Not complaining!!! Long may it last. Its glorious :D

I'm pleased to read that you are sitting and enjoying it, but no doubt you have a daily maintenance program ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Well George, the daily maintenance programme is definitely watering. luckily we have hoses that reach everywhere, I couldn't lift a watering can at the moment.  The marrows are really thirsty and of course the runner beans need watering all the time.  The muntjac deer have played a bit of havoc with the marrows having nibbled of a lot of leaves, they are still flowering though.

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #308 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
We received our Downley Gardening Club monthly newsletter yesterday. The secretary had paid us a visit a few days ago and I was surprised and pleased to find this:
"Mr and Mrs Hardy keep a very nice garden with just the occasional bit of help.
A good variety of plants and shrubs, well laid out and cared for, and long may you both be able to
tend your plants, they know that you care for them. You are to be envied the view from your
conservatory. There is happiness in your garden and I sense it directly I walk in, there are plenty
of good gardening years ahead of you, how nice."
 :) :) :) Can't stop smiling :) :) :)
Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »
That is exciting news. The ultimate accolade for gardeners to be recognised in this way by other gardening enthusiasts in your region.
Congratulations Eric and Anthea :)

We (here on the forum) all know its well deserved :D from the photos you have posted over the years.

I love that line:
There is happiness in your garden and I sense it directly I walk in
There are many in this world who believe that plants are sensitive.
I'd comment that the happiness radiates from both of you.

RE:
there are plenty of good gardening years ahead of you, how nice
Enjoy it your two, and take any help you can to manage your garden :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:02:18 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2014, 03:09:45 PM »
Thanks, George, we're still basking in a warm glow  :D

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
One of our yellow hollyhocks, taken with my iPhone. The American Pillar over the summerhouse has been flowering for ages and is just beginning to go over. The pink below and to the right of the kitchen window is a hydrangea.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Lovely photo Eric and amazing quality. Those iPad and iPhone devices take amazingly good quality photos, and so easy to send to friends.
Thank you for taking the time to post here!

For others, you need to scroll horizontally to see the full image of the yellow hollyhock.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:07:55 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
Great photo Eric  8)

I'm so pleased you have received that recognition from the Downley Gardening Club.  Very well earned and deserved for you and Anthea.

Unfortunately, age and the toll on our bodies comes to us all, and we can only do as much as those limitations impose.

Your garden has kept you fit for a long time, and may you both continue for many more years to come.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:13 PM »
Thank you very much, Laurie, you are very kind.

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
For others, you need to scroll horizontally to see the full image of the yellow hollyhock.
Thanks George, I am sorry if I used too high a definition, it is fine on my computer screen but too big for my iPad and iPhone.
Eric H.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »
Very good to see you posting Laurie!

The photo size is fine Eric. Besides, people with wide screens would not have to scroll.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »
I had a little wander round the garden with my Tokina Macro 100 f2.8 on my Canon 60D. Here are a few of the results: -

The white unidentified clematis I posted earlier now looks like this

Hydrangea

Fuschia

A Day Lily – sorry about the nettle, I didn’t spot it until I uploaded the picture  :)

Water Lily

Potentilla

Pink Cistus

Giant Thistle

A bit of pollination

And now follow a few Hollyhocks

I hope you have enjoyed them.

Eric H

Offline Palustris

« Reply #318 on: July 23, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
Looks as if they might change the name of the Potentilla fruticosa to Dasiphora fruticosa, not for certain yet though.

NightHawk

« Reply #319 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
Absolutely fabulous photos Eric.

Tremendous detail and framing.

You've got a great lens there, but I maintain that it's the 'man' behind the lens that is the key element in stunning shots such as these  8)

Oops on the nettle, but I think we'll forgive you on that one  :D

I hope you have enjoyed them.

Eric H

I certainly enjoyed them, and are definitely worthy of acknowledgement  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:08:05 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #320 on: July 23, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Laurie. A little appreciation makes it worth while posting. It does take me quite a time to enter the correct reference for each picture to appear.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Laurie. A little appreciation makes it worth while posting.

Eric H

It's a shame that appreciative postings are very few and far between Eric, which is why I became very disheartened and resigned as Moderator and dropped off the radar for a while  :(

It does take me quite a time to enter the correct reference for each picture to appear.

Eric H

When I had a lot of photos to upload onto the Forum Eric, I found a quick way to do it that worked for me.

I opened up Notepad and typed in the URL to the directory on my web host where I had stored the photos.

Then I copied and pasted that onto my Forum posting, changing the image name for each one.

I know some people like to post links to external websites where they store all their photos, but personally I like to stay on the Forum and view photos.  Sites such as Flickr and Photobucket are very image intensive and can slow down the loading of the pages with ad-related content included.  Plus, they insist on the owner relinquishing copyright for them so they can use your photos however they want.  I don't like that idea so I stay away from them.

Only a personal observation, so if you're happy to use them then that's also fine.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:44:37 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »
Absolutely amazing photos Eric - I'm astounded :)

I fully agree with Laurie about those websites, but when you don't have your own website they are a very effective way to share photos. I sure don't like the forfeiture of copyright. In the early days of photos posted on websites, people were almost paranoid about their photos being hijacked. Now it doesn't seem to matter.
As you know, I was very disappointed when your resigned Laurie. You have been our ever present and reliable friend on the forum for many years now and your help in the success of the forum is very much appreciated. I'm delighted to see you posting again!
The forum needs a lot of "prodding" to keep it active and it had slipped in numbers since Ive been so engrossed with my software. Bank Genie 5 and the new and very exciting Ideas Genie 6 has taken its toll. I cant wait to get them released. After that, I'm expecting a lot of activity due to the new Web Page Generator (WPG) in Ideas Genie 6- a much better alternative to those websites we referred to above.

RE: The photo with the caption:
A bit of pollination
That one is my favourite, Eric. Your photos are ALL so well focused and clear, its easy to see that many of them are "dripping" with pollen. That poor bee must have been almost smothered with the stuff. Its a brilliant example of nature at work :D
I'd like to ask your permission to use it on my ideasforgardens.com website.

I was weeding last night beside a white Penstemon (Penstemon 'White Bedder' actually ;D) and a bee was buzzing around inches from my head.
I looked up and it was totally plugged into the long tube of a flower with only its rear protruding.
I had a little snigger - so that's why its called a Bumble bee  ;D ;D ;D

Keep those photos coming folk!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:35:09 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
RE: The photo with the caption:
A bit of pollination
I'd like to ask your permission to use it on my ideasforgardens.com website.
You are most welcome to use any of my photos, George.
I have sent you the original by email
Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Received by email with thanks Eric, and Ive replied of course.
Ive shown them to James and he was impressed!
His description - it looks like it is covered with snow ;D