Author Topic: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.  (Read 98714 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.
« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
This was the view from my bedroom window at 6:08 am this morning taken as a panorama with my iPhone with a little help later from Photoshop)

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
I'm not a morning person but even I might pop out bed for a quick glimpse of that view :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
I think you will find, Trish, that when you get old you get into the early to bed, early to rise, routine. When I was young I was an owl but now I am a lark.

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
I am 'old' compared to all our friends!  I'm the oldest person I know except for one of my dear old mum's friends who I inherited, and you now of course :)

I know what you're saying but I might never change though as some of my late night/late morning routine is due to my Stills Disease (a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis).  I've kicked all the meds (not that I ever was on very many) and take responsibility for my own health using a combination of diet, lifestyle, supplements, ~exercise~ etc.  One important routine that I rely on for pain relief is my regular evening hot bath, usually after tv and the evening news, followed by at least two hours cooling off period which I mostly use to catch up on the day's activity on facebook and other online pursuits such as email, banking, shopping etc.  This routine helps with stiffness and pain and ensures that I fall asleep instantly my head hits the pillow, often around 1.30am.  Mornings for me are difficult.  At least nowadays I can get out of bed unaided but I am very slow and don't function properly until I've sat at the table in my dressing gown and drunk my coffee, usually around 10am.  It all depends what time Rog gets up.  I follow around two hours later :)  I suppose if he starts going to bed earlier things might change, but then we'd miss tv after the watershed.  We like our tv, except at this time of year when there's nothing much on.  That said.... I'm here now because we're having late meals currently because Rog watches the Tour de France highlights every night from 7 to 8pm :( 

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #279 on: July 01, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
Trish, I had absolutely no idea when I made my remarks. My generalities obviously don't apply. How I admire you for taking control of your life like that. I hope you can continue to do so for many years to come.
My very best wishes
Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #280 on: July 01, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »
Very brave Trish, I did notice some late emails in our communications!

I used to burn the candle at both ends, sometimes working to 2 am and occasionally a bit more (e.g. 4am  :o) then getting up shortly after 7 to go to my day job. Such was my enjoyment when developing Ideas Genie :) (and I'm very serious!
Not just as bad nowadays - shortly after midnight and rely on the body clock to waken me in the morning ;D

I digress, my apologies.
Your "am" photo Eric. Now that's its artificial light, I can see more detail (in the shadows) in your photo.
A lovely view of the unspoilt common and your garden in bloom in the foreground. Yes, that's a welcoming sight to start the day :)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:02 AM »
Looking again at the picture I noticed all the foxgloves standing to attention :)  They pop up everywhere don't they, and I rarely have the heart to pull them out because, like the poppies, some lovely variations can crop up.  That said, I've snipped a few fallen-over ones back today and I always try to get them out before they set seed in non-suitable areas.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »
Rosa Kiftsgate is more spectacular than ever this year. It is completely hiding the conifer that it is growing up and the right hand section is growing over an old apple tree. Some people dislike its untidy habit but we love it. This was taken this morning at about 9:30 am

Our sage is doing quite well too  :)

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #283 on: July 16, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »
That Rosa Kiftsgate is such an awesome sight Eric - you must be so proud of it.

I too like the way it looks now.  Trying to trim it into an 'orderly' shape would just alter its whole character as far as I'm concerned.

Nature producing the best on its own.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
and it would be hard to get a better photo of that specimen Eric.
Its a prizewinner 8)
What a beautiful sight. The plants in the foreground sure are enjoying that sunshine :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »
Things are looking hopeful  :). After atrocious weather on Saturday and Sunday it was a bit brighter today and I ventured down the garden. Bulbs are poking through all over the place and there are clumps of snowdrops flowering away. The dark helibore is in full bloom too so I am full of hope and looking forward to the year ahead.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
Nice you are looking on the bright side Eric :)

I really do feel for those who are flooded.
I live on the flat at the top of a hill. Even so, parts of the top of my garden were flooded this morning after heavy rain last night.
Nothing to worry about, fortunately.

I spotted our first Snowdrops last week and like yours they are so cheerful and welcome to herald the arrival of spring.
I planted lots of new Tulips and Hyacinths to augment the daffs, and I can see them shooting up as well.

Do you find it takes Hellebores a while to establish? Mine are looking more impressive this year (also in bloom ;D) and look like they are maturing nicely. I planted a clump opposite my office window to provide early colour :D

Lets hope all this excess water drains away soon from all our gardens.

My contacts in Canada and US have had a real bad winter. I'm sure we have all seen the TV coverage of the "ice age" conditions a few weeks ago.

NightHawk

« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »
It's nice to hear that your garden is coming to life again Eric.

We've been so hectic here dealing with other things that we've not had chance to give our garden much attention yet.

Fortunately, where we live is not on a flood plain and the garden drainage is pretty good.  The lawn is a bit mushy in places but we're not experiencing the horrendous flooding problems that have devastated many areas around the country.

Let's just hope these freak weather conditions start to ease very soon and let the saturated ground recover.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
Do you find it takes Hellebores a while to establish?
Yes, a long time, George. In fact we tried several places round the garden choosing sites we thought they would like, but they never thrived. Then, about ten years ago, we bought a dark one and a greeny white one and I tried them at the foot of our climbing roses on the screen by the drive and they never looked back. Why they liked it there I don't know, but they did. After a year or two they started self seeding and the resulting plants seemed to be a cross and we got a variety of shades in between. Anthea has a habit of picking a few heads and floating them in a bowl on the dining table. Here is a shot I took a long time ago but it shows the variations in colour we now get. I have tried replanting the seedlings but they don't survive. It is best to let them grow where they are and thin them out occasionally.

My contacts in Canada and US have had a real bad winter. I'm sure we have all seen the TV coverage of the "ice age" conditions a few weeks ago.
Yes, indeed, our middle son Mark, who lives in Montreal, talked to us on Face Time a short time ago and held his iPad up to the window to show us the weather. At that moment he said it was minus 22 degrees C outside  ::). He has now flown to Guatemala where he is doing some voluntary surgery. I am sure he will find it warmer there  :) I gather they have magnificent hospitals and equipment but no doctors. Most of them fled the revolution. He will find it a contrast to his trips to Tanzania where he operates under very primitive conditions.

Eric H.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
I wish your son Mark well, Eric. He is a brave man to venture where his fellow surgeons have fled.

Thanks for the tips on Hellebores. Perhaps Eric (Palustris) will comment as well - I'm sure he has experience to share.
Unfortunately, mine haven't self seeded.  Having seen how yours have cross pollinated to produce a nice variety of shades, I look forward to that :D
They do hang their pretty heads, don't they. Floating in a bowl is a good idea to show off their beauty :D (at the expense of possible self-seeding.
They sure do have very pretty markings.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
George, I have been mulling over in my mind why the hellibores flourished under the roses and have come to the conclusion that it might be that they are in soil that has had well rotted horse manure added over many years. For the 25 years that we kept our horse i always had a pile of rotting manure and straw from mucking out the stable. All the roses received liberal doses of this from time to time.

Talking of roses, i noticed this afternoon that we have a solitary white rose blooming away in January!

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
The lawn is a bit mushy in places.
Same here, Laurie. The only consolation is both ponds are very full and the water is looking beautifully clear.
Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Here is a clematis we planted last year after it had bloomed. This is the first time we have seen what beautifully delicate flowers it has. Unfortunately I forgot to put it on the database and I have just found that the label has disappeared. Does anybody know please?

The Clematis Montana on the summerhouse is looking pretty good too at the moment.

Pouring down at the moment so stuck indoors today, I think.  >:(

Eric H

Offline Palustris

« Reply #293 on: April 27, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
Try the Clematis Website for an ID
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
Thank you Eric, I will have a look.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #295 on: April 28, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
Its a very nice white Clematis, Eric. 8)
I hope we can find a name for it - I would buy one :D

You are well ahead of us with Montana - ours are still in bud. Shows the difference a constant few degrees of temperature makes across the UK! We look in envy at the temperatures around London area.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #296 on: June 16, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
I am sorry to have neglected the forum for so long. There are number of reasons, one of which is that over the last few days I have been recovering from a nasty fall up the stone steps from the garden. Luckily a good neighbour was on hand and he immediately called an ambulance. Three very nice young paramedics spent a long time checking me over and patching me up. They said it was better for me not to be taken to hospital, for which I was grateful.  Thank heavens for the NHS.

Another reason is a far pleasanter one. Mark, our middle son, had spent some time doing voluntary surgery in Africa, under rather primitive conditions, and broke his journey on his way back to Montreal by staying with us for a few days. While he was here he drove us to Carmarthenshire to stay with our eldest son, Adam.

Although not our own garden I thought I would post a few shots of Adam’s, my excuse being that as he spent his formative years playing in ours, some of our love of gardening has definitely been inherited.

This one from a previous visit

And to conclude - we old folks and a bare torsoed Adam taken by Mark.

One day Adam and Mark took us to the National Botanic Garden of Wales, near Carmarthen. They got two wheelchairs at the visitor's entrance and pushed their aging parents up hill and down dale  :)
It is well worth a visit and I will try to upload some pictures to the "Gardens worth a visit" section when I can.

Best wishes to all,

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
Its lovely to see you both again!

I'm very sorry to hear about your fall, Eric. I hope you didn't hit your head on those steps. Arms and legs?

That was a pleasant surprise visit for your both from Mark. You told us before about the good work he was doing in Africa in what appeared to be dangerous conditions.

Adams house and garden are magnificent. Those photos you've posted would make a good foundation for an article in one of the House & Garden magazines! I presume he has a gardener? That shot of the house is taken with a very nice border in the foreground (it MUST have been taken by a gardener and clever photographer :D :D ) with what I think has a very mature yellow deciduous Azalea, lupins etc - des plants to go with the des res;D. I didn't see any of my rampant "Robin run the hedge" weeds!

I look forward to seeing your photos of the National Botanic Garden of Wales, near Carmarthen.

Very best wishes to you and Anthea!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear about your fall, Eric. I hope you didn't hit your head on those steps. Arms and legs?
Thank you George. Luckily I didn't hit my head, just some nasty wounds to my shin, shoulder and wrist. I had them dressed by the Practice Nurse this morning. Getting along nicely.
I presume he has a gardener?
No he doesn't, Adam looks after it single handed but he works very hard at it and effectively.
I will try to post the Botanic Gardens photos tomorrow.
All the best.
Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »
Thank goodness you didn't break any bones at least!  Glad to see that you seem to be recovering in good company.  Lovely pictures too.