Author Topic: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.  (Read 98710 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
Thanks. Laurie.
I have to confess that I have succumbed and bought myself a new camera body. The Canon 60D. The photos of the broom and clematis were almost the first I took with it. (Old) boys and their toys  ;D !! I really didn't need it, the 40D is fine, but I was tempted by the articulating LCD. I just can't get down on the ground these days and thought of being able to take worms eye views was irresistible. I must find a way of selling my 450D and kit lens. I don't need 3 camera bodies! ::)
Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
You take great photos with whatever equipment you use Eric  8), but I do understand your reasoning for wanting to change your camera body  ::)
(Does Anthea agree though  :-\  :-X )

If Malcolm was still active on the Forum I would suggest asking him to keep his ears open for potential buyers for your 'surplus' gear.  He had plenty of photographer connections, but I don't know why he's been absent from the Forum for so long.

Good luck with that anyway.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »
Thanks for posting those magnificent photos Eric. I know the name, but I'm not at all familiar with Kolwitzia. Thanks for the landscape view followed by the close ups - just what I like! I love your Deutzia!

RE:
I really didn't need it, the 40D is fine, but I was tempted by the articulating LCD. I just can't get down on the ground these days and thought of being able to take worms eye views was irresistible.
Can you elaborate a little on that Eric? (for the amateur - ahem ::))

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
Here is an article copied from Wikipedia about Kolkwitzia, George.

Kolkwitzia amabilis (  /kɒlˈkwɪtsi.ə əˈmæbɨlɪs/) is a species of woody flowering plant in the honeysuckle family known in the US by the common name Beauty Bush, for amabilis, "lovely". The plant originated in Central China, where it was twice discovered, once by the Jesuit missionary Giuseppe Giraldi in Shensi and then in western Hubei province, by E.H. 'Chinese' Wilson who was collecting for Veitch Nurseries, who introduced it into horticulture. It was named for Richard Kolkwitz, a professor of botany in Berlin. The plant is an arching, spreading shrub, with light brown flaky bark and graceful arching branches, which can grow higher than eight feet tall. It is usually as wide as it is tall. The plant blooms in late spring. Its light pink flowers, dark pink in the bud, are about one-inch long and bell-shaped ("tubular campanulate"); they grow in pairs, as with all Caprifoliaceae, and form showy, numerous sprays along ripened wood. Its leaves are opposite, simple, and ovate, from .5 to 3 inches long, entire or with a few sparse shallow teeth. Its fruit is a hairy, ovoid capsule approximately .25 inches long.
Wilson sent plant material to his sponsors Veitch Nurseries, Exeter, in 1901; the shrub flowered there for the first time in 1910. It received a Royal Horticultural Society Award of Merit in 1923 for Nymans Gardens, Sussex. The shrub became very popular in the eastern United States following World War I, almost a defining shrub in American gardens made between the World Wars.
In the garden, the shrub needs plenty of room to develop its long, arching sprays, reducing the temptation to club it back, which results in an unnatural "witches' broom". Occasionally older stems thicker than a broomstick should be removed at the base when the shrub is dormant, to encourage young, free-flowering growth.

I will answer your question about the camera after breakfast

Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
Thanks for that article Eric.
I note its proportions and the advice not to "club" it back (I like that expression :D)
Its a bit too big for my garden!

PS: I have quite a lot of plants in my garden I'd like to club back  ;D. I dig up my mistakes regularly.
Unfortunately, some I had removed by a JCB last year are sprouting up 10 feet and more from their original location as BIG suckers :'( One was a large cherry tree.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »

I really didn't need it, the 40D is fine, but I was tempted by the articulating LCD. I just can't get down on the ground these days and thought of being able to take worms eye views was irresistible.
Can you elaborate a little on that Eric? (for the amateur - ahem ::))

I have posted an answer in the photographic section, George - it seemed more appropriate.

Eric

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
I do understand your reasoning for wanting to change your camera body  ::)
(Does Anthea agree though  :-\  :-X )
Anthea indulges me a little bit, Laurie, as long as I don't push things too far  :D

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:52 AM »
We have a Rosa "Shot Silk" by the front gate. It is finding its way up into one of the two holly trees that flank the gate. I took these two shots with my telephoto lens from my bedroom window.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
A lovely example of a repeat flowering climbing rose there Eric  :)

Beautiful crystal clear images too.  You've got an excellent telephoto lens to get that quality  8)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
Thanks, Laurie.

I have just returned to the house following a general look round the garden. What is striking me is how slow everything is to take off this year after being planted out. Lettuces are hopeless, any I plant out refuse to grow any more and just wait to be demolished by slugs, woodpidgeons or anything that is around to eat them. Those we plant out in the greenhouse become great luxuriant plants in no time at all. The sweet peas have hardly moved, the outdoor tomatoes I fear were a waste of time, those in the greenhouse are doing well. The second lot of runner beans are beginning to grow behind their deer discouraging netting.

The gooseberries are forming well and both the red and black currents look promising. It was most encouraging to see lots of bees on our raspberry flowers after all the dire news about the bee population.

Eric H
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:44:16 AM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
We don't have any fruit bushes in our garden and we don't grow vegetables, and we don't have a greenhouse.

Lots of DON'Ts there I know  ::)

What we do have though are lots of nectar-rich plants that the bees, butterflies and other insects love.  We're doing 'our bit' to help the bee population but sadly they are still in decline  :(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
Nice Rose Eric, and a terrific shot from distance to be able to crop in on - I'm envious on both counts :)

Is that a white lilac in the foreground? I don't have that one unfortunately.

Our common lilac was a full month late this year. It normally coincides with a week or so after my wife's birthday in first week of May. Her mother made that observation at the time Mary was born.
Its in bloom at the moment, but almost over  :(
Mary always cuts a bunch for indoor arrangement. Beautiful scent 8)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »
Is that a white lilac in the foreground? I don't have that one unfortunately.
Yes it is, George. We also have a dark one near our summerhouse with a wonderful scent. Both have been very late this year.

Eric H 

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »
Both the rose and the lilac look wonderful, especially against the holly.  I went on a trek up our garden to see if there was any white  lilac I could cut for the house but I was shocked to find how tall everything has got!  Any blooms were way out of reach and I could barely even see them on account of all the other shrubs and trees that have shot up.  Some serious pruning will be required when the time is right to remedy the situation.

The plant in our garden that is alive with bees just now is the Rosa Geranium.  I grew this now-large bush from seed many years ago.  It was 'humming' in the sunshine today :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »
My "regular" lilac (which is lilac coloured ;D) was one of the first plants I attempted to multiply.
I took suckers from one which was planted by my father. They all grew of course. In fact, in one location, suckers are coming up all around in an 8 ft spread :o
I dug "my" one up in the other location - on the edge of the soft fruit patch (for obvious reasons :D).

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
I went on a trek up our garden to see if there was any white  lilac I could cut for the house but I was shocked to find how tall everything has got! 
Lilacs tend to romp away. Our white lilac is an old tree but we cut it back quite severely each year when the flowers are dead. It seems to like the treatment. The purple lilac has shot up and got a bit straggly and really needs the same treatment.

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
suckers are coming up all around in an 8 ft spread :o
Our white lilac produces suckers galore. They need cutting back frequently otherwise we would live in a lilac grove  :)

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
I decided to try an experiment with my iPhone in panorama mode. The pivotal point in our back garden is the tall conifer through which Rosa Kiftsgate grows so profusely. At its base are two small ponds and a rockery. You are not able to see much of the lower part of the garden until you get level with this tree. I stood at what I thought was the best view point and panned from the top to the bottom of the garden. It looks terrific on the big computer screen slowly moving it across. Here you will not be able to see much detail.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »
Your garden is looking really good Eric, even from the smaller photo here - very well maintained  ;)

The iPhone has done it justice too.  I'm very impressed with the quality of the onboard camera (this from another iPhone owner  :D ).

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #269 on: June 20, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
I'm very impressed with the quality of the onboard camera (this from another iPhone owner  :D ).

The success of the panorama made me want to see how well the iPhone would cope with taking flowers and blossom rather than using my Canon. The results aren’t bad at all

Deutzia

Kolkwitzia or "Beauty Bush"

Thank you for your kind comments about our garden too, Laurie

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
I second Lauries comments ;D
iPhone photos are quick and easy - embarrassingly so!
They do all that's required for the younger generation to use on social networks.
As an expert in photography, its a big stamp of approval that you judge them to be of good quality.
Many thanks for sharing Eric.

I'm off to the garden - duly enthused and inspired :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #271 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
Here the blossom has been absolutely phenomenal this year, bigger blooms and more prolific. The elderflower and wild roses in the hedgerows are exceptional.

Yesterday, we decided to finish our lunch in the summer house so we carried our puddings out there to eat. I had my iPhone in my pocket and decided to take a shot of the outlook.
On the far left: Kolkwitzia, or Beauty Bush. On the far right: Hydrangea Petiolaris (climbing hydrangea). On the near right, the red rose is Rosa Moyesii, a vigorous climber from China.

The blooms on the climbing hydrangea have been larger this year too

I also thought I would take the overwhelming riot behind our front hedge as seen from our side gate (I hadn’t noticed how badly the gate needs redecorating until I looked at the photo)  :(

In this one you can just see Shot Silk poking out from the top of the holly tree by the front gate. The white lilac blooms are brown now (Memo: some dead heading to be done)

And just to show that the hedge is a bit tidier on the outside than the inside  :)

All these photos were taken with the iPhone

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #272 on: June 30, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
I'd like to use your photos of Kolkwitzia and Hydrangea Petiolaris in the Master Database Eric.
They are spectacular!!
Lovely photos and look at the clear blue sky in the background 8). I hope it didn't distract you too much from enjoying your pudding ;D

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #273 on: June 30, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
I now feel obliged to dispense a little tlc to my poor hydrangea petiolaris.  I've actually barely given it a second glance recently, but it is planted in a very shady position with masses of competition from weeds and other plants.  I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can do something to improve its lot now that I've seen your lovely plant :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #274 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:51 AM »
I'd like to use your photos of Kolkwitzia and Hydrangea Petiolaris in the Master Database Eric.
You are most welcome, George. Would you like me to send the originals by email?

Eric H