Author Topic: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.  (Read 98750 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Eric & Anthea's garden at different times of year.
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
Thanks George. The plant is fairly low, 10 to 12 inches perhaps,  but spreading. Definitely recommended if you want something hardy and easy to grow.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
It looks interesting to me. Would you recommend it?

George, I have been searching the "bible" and am pretty  sure I have found it. It is a Phuopsis. You asked whether I would recommend it. I said yes, and it is reinforced by the "A - Z" which simply says "trouble free"! I suggest you look it up.

Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
Well done Eric!
Ive looked it up on the net and there are plenty of websites describing it.
In our Master Database I have two entries:
Phuopsis stylosa
and
Phuopsis stylosa 'Purpurea'   
I cant determine the difference between them after a quick search. Anybody able to advise?
I don't have any photos Eric, so that photo would be much appreciated if thats OK.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
I don't have any photos Eric, so that photo would be much appreciated if thats OK.

You are most welcome to use it George. If you would like me to email a better copy please let me know.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »
Yes, please Eric. That would be better.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
Kiftsgate is now doing it's stuff again. This was taken today and look how parched the lawn is  ::) The rain that other people have been getting just keeps missing us.

This was taken two weeks earlier and it wasn't nearly as brown.

I took a picture of the peony you can see (name unknown) on the same day

A few weeks ago we treated ourselves to a water lily - Nymphea "Hermine". It has just produced it's first flower.

Finally an indoor plant. Our middle son Mark, who lives in Calgary, sent Anthea an orchid when Anthea had her hip operation in November 2008. It flowered for four months after which we cut back the stems. It flowered again for another four months and we repeated the process. It is now on its third flowering and Anthea asked me to photograph it in situ to send by email to Mark. Anthea usually cares for the indoor plants but she put me in charge of this one. I give it a fine spray every third day, I also spray the moss on the top of the pot. I just give it about an egg-cupful of water at the same time. About once a month I add a tiny amount of feed to the water.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »
You are a star Eric! Superb photos.

I feel for you if rain is missing you  :'(
I hope it reaches you soon. It was a welcome relief when it started here last week.

Thanks for the tips on the Orchids! We have a couple in the house, but I'm afraid I never read up on how to care for them. Mind you, I take care of the outdoor plants only. I will pass on your care methods to Mary!

Hope you and Anthea are doing well :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »

Hi there Eric, yes hope you are both well.

I am afraid we have had to water our lawn and garden a lot recently. The rivers locally are still in good flow, there source is well inland from chalk hills which release the water slowly.
Our water board rarely has hosepipe bans, but I have thought up a contingency plan just in case.
I will divert the bath/shower water into our rain water butts, and fit a submersible pump inside the water butt which will connect to our existing hose pipe.

I remember well a visitor on an open day, who said he didnt like our green lawn, as it didn't remind him of summer.  ::)
Can't please everyone all of the time.

Malcolm

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2010, 12:07:34 AM »
Thank you Malcolm, we are both pretty well although not as energetic as we used to be  :(

The butt to catch the bathwater is a very good idea. We have used one for several years. It works on the same principle as a rainwater butt and the water continues to the drain once the butt is full. We fill watering cans from a little tap at the bottom. We don't water the lawn with it though! I always hope the slight soapiness of the water deters the bugs, I don't know whether that is a fact though.

Your idea of a submersible pump connected to a hose is clever. We just hump the water  :(

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
It is dull and raw here after the thaw and nothing to photograph outside so I took pictures of a white cyclamen.  Anthea lets these die down and stores them on their sides. This one is in its third year and is on our bedroom window sill.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
I salute you once again Eric!
Its probably well reported by now, but I find white flowers difficult ot photograph. Once again, you have captured another bunch perfectly.
What settings did you use?

Congratulations to Anthea on her success in managing that Cyclamen - its a very useful tip to all of us.
That girl is an inspiration!
At what time of year does she set them upright again?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:09:34 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »
Thanks George.

Camera settings using 100mm Tokina lens: 1/500; F8; ISO 800. I also use "user defined presets" there are three presets as well as the usual "standard" "portrait" "faithful" and so on. In this case I used my "user defined 3" which is set as picture style faithful, contrast (+) 2, saturation (+)1 and sharpness 6.

I consulted Anthea and she says about the end of September or early September is the time to stand it up and water cyclamens lightly until the leaves start coming again. Some people say they should be in the dark to dry out but Anthea just keeps them on their sides on a shelf in the greenhouse. It seems to work.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »
Thanks Eric, and please thank Anthea for that practical tip. Theres nothing to beat experience :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »
please thank Anthea for that practical tip.
I have, George, but I did do a typo above. I said "the end of September or early September". I should have said "the end of August or early September".

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
Thanks Eric and Anthea.
I had a red Cyclamen flowering in late summer this year. It sat nestled among some other plants in a container. It had been discarded in spring from indoors display after it finished flowering ::)
It got watered regularly during the summer months, with its companions.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:55 PM »
George; Anthea stops watering as soon leaves start to flag and they look as though they want to go dormant. From then on they are just left on their sides to dry out. Although in the greenhouse they are shaded a bit by an upper shelf. When they are coming back to life she re-pots them. I just talked to her about this just now and she said "Oh dear, you are holding me out as an expert, which I am not. I have as many failures as successes". Be that as it may, the white one I photographed was a success. There was also a nice red one, another success which I photographed too. I have misfiled it  >:(. If It resurfaces I will post it.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
I said that if my picture of the red one turned up I would post it.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
Nice one Eric! Thanks for posting.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
For interest, another nice cyclomen. Yesterday I noticed the sun striking it nicely so I took a shot.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »
Wish I could do that!! Great photo again Eric. You have a very nice little collection. Congratulations to Anthea :)

NightHawk

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
Excellent photo Eric.

Up to your usual high standard again  :)

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
Thanks George and Laurie. I used my new Canon lens for this and the muntjac shots.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:06 PM »
Spring seems to be here at last. We put in some new crocus bulbs and now they are putting on a show.

The first is called Jeanne d?Arc

The second is called Pickwick

I spoke too soon about winter losses - two nice clematises have succumbed  >:(. All the delphiniums are growing nicely but all but one of the lupins seem to have died  >:(.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »
Thanks for posting such beautiful photos Eric :)
How did you take those shots? It would have been a hands and knees job for me, but no doubt you had your tripod and special lens for the job :)

Pity about the Lupins. Do they come back every year for you? Mine have all died out. They used to throw up seedlings but I haven't had any for a few years now.
I'm delighted to say that my delphiniums have all come back this year as well. I took the precaution of keeping a specimen of each of my new varieties in the greenhouse, and they survived and are growing rapidly at present. I have a few nice new patches of ground to plant them in - I had a digger in this week removing most of my "mistakes" - trees and shrubs.

As for Clematis, I had a pleasant surprise. I bought two last year and held off planting them until a new high wall was plastered and dashed. One looked like it had died at the end of last season. BUT! I checked today, and they are both sending up fresh shoots from the base. I have a few roses to plant on that wall as well, so plenty to do!

Did you do your square yard per day digging over winter like last year? It was a very good idea - Ive made note of it!
It would give a great head start in spring.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
How did you take those shots? It would have been a hands and knees job for me, but no doubt you had your tripod and special lens for the job :)
No tripod, George. I sat on my gardening stool and bent forward as far as I could. I was using my 24 - 105 lens fully extended at 105 so it was mildly telephoto. 105mm is the equivalent of 168mm on a 35mm camera. I did lie on my tummy to get one shot (not the crocuses) and Anthea, who was sitting on the bench nearby, was in fits of laughter watching my antics trying to get back on my feet again  ;D

Pity about the Lupins. Do they come back every year for you?
Normally most of them survive but this winter has been to much for them.

Did you do your square yard per day digging over winter like last year?
I am afraid I didn't. I wish I had, but one or two health problems for both of us made me not feel up to it so,this year, I resorted to I getting a chap in for a couple of days to get on top of things. Unfortunately I wasn't careful enough to mark all the special plants and a couple were considered weeds  >:(