Author Topic: Choosing a Label Printer (for printing our Plant Labels)  (Read 40201 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Label Printers
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
Good work Laurie.
Actually they are reasonable enough for that functionality (barcodes etc)

In the Brother range, thats the devices our members need to choose from if they are to use the Labels program GA048, especially if they need to print Barcodes on the labels (for Point of sale).
Note: The IG software will allow printing in any orientation.

Its nice to be able to take the device to the greenhouse and print ad-hoc labels AND print from the computer. Which product would you choose?

i am considering buying this one tz tape upto 18mm pics etc http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/166900/s_level/17300/s_product/PT2100VPZU1 irish site http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=MME5832223#spec looking at it from a retail point of view need to get pic on label if possible

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »
Good choice there Phil.  8)

I wholely support a labelling device that is compatible with George's software, as being able to do everything in the one area is great.

However, it's going to depend on each individual's circumstances; can you afford and justify the cost of expensive machines and the labour-saving benefits of having such a labelling system.

More input from our other members now please.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

Label Printers
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
the cost difference between the pt 2420PC and the pt 2100 is only 5 euro more plus plug at 15 and usb cable 4.00, also the pt2420 i dont think it compatabile with vista according to brother http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/eu/eu_ot/en/p-touch/2420euk/spec/index.html, where as the 2100 is http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/eu/eu_ot/en/p-touch/2100euk/spec/index.html

ps we have had a good 2 inches of snow this morning  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:58:02 PM by roiphil »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Label Printers
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »

Bought a Dymo Labelpoint 350 nine months ago, for labeling our 100+ Clematis. On our open days it saves us a lot of time if people can see for themselves, the name of the plant. All our other plants have labels, plastic with handwritten names using a Stabilo Write for all permanent pen, which lasts a couple of years.
The clematis labels are metal with the Dymolabel stuck on.
So 9 months down the line, and the Dymo labels are still stuck on and readable. Dymo do a label tape that is specifically for outdoor use, but is a job to get locally. So I have used the standard tape. Havent gone any further with Dymoing the plastic labels for the other plants, as wanted to see how the labels on the clematis survived. Also it is going to cost a lot of money to label 1,100 plants.

The Dymo 350 is able to be connected to the computer via USB, if I did want to Dymo the 1,100 plants it would be handy to use the computer.

Link to the labeller  http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Products/LabelPoint_350.html
Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
Had a look at the product on the website Malcolm. Dont see any mention of printing from the computer.
Did you receive a CD with the product? Any info in the user guide about printing from a computer?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Choosing a Label Printer (for printing our Plant Labels)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
PT 2420PC looks real good Phil.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »

Yes it is connectable to computer via usb, I have used it with programme on the CD supplied for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DYMO-LabelPOINT-350-Labelmaker-transfer/dp/B00095MSMY

I didn't pay that much for it, bought it at Staples.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
Malcolm
Curious. When you plug Dymo Labelpoint 350 in to your computer
Can you print to it from Word?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
You wanted input from me regarding GA048 (US) labeling program. I am certainly happy with the results that I am getting.  But, it is another program that?s going to grow as all other Genie programs grow and expand. I haven?t recent experience with Dymo labeling products, and really don?t see me getting involved using them.

My basic use for GA048 is generating labels that can be used in the process of starting seeds and working them through that process on their way to the plant?s final resting place. As you realize its seed starting time, I?m buying more seed this week. When I bring in new seeds, the first task at the computer is to enter the basic data from the seed packet.

As I start new seeds, one of the EVENTS is generating labels for them. If I am going to start 5 plants, I print out labels for that quantity, and I have the ability to edit those labels anyway I choose. I place them on a pot-sticker and it follows the ?start? from sowing to final transplanting.

The information you can put on that label is what ever you need. Sure, you want to identify it, but you can also code in what date you started it, it?s maturity time, expected harvest/flowering time(s), its source, special care, what garden it goes in, what bed, how many in this start, etc, etc, etc. If you need a color photo, you can do it.

As far as exposure to the elements, they will last a season?s time at least, if you need something more permanent there are ways of doing it. As for printer expense, my Epson DuraBrite printer is also my scanner, copier, as well as printer for the labels, so it fills my needs in other ways.

As I indicated earlier, GA048 will expand and grow. I can see Genie gardening software developing a version of POS (point of sale) software in the future. It will be used in a retail setting, doing those things it does now, plus the features of ?running? a retail or wholesale gardening outlet. Things like bar-code reading, inventory control, customer records, etc.

Frankly, I love the program; it fills a real need for me! Thanks for creating it, George!

- Toby

Offline roiphil

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 06:09:40 PM »
I have a dymo 320 labelwriter that i cant use as it is not compatible with vista, offers on a postcard  ;D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Curious. When you plug Dymo Labelpoint 350 in to your computer
Can you print to it from Word?

I hadn't tried that George, but had noticed that it did appear in Printers and faxes.

So tried it from Word, and suprise it does work, you appear to be only able to chose a 12mm width of label or large or small Pendaflex (whatever that is), and have to play about with the margins.
When you click print, the screen on the Dymo labeler shows an image of a computer screen, and the tape transport starts up as usual.

Still Curious ??   ;D

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »

Just a bit more info for you George if it might be usefull.

There is a Download of the SDK software developers kit here

http://global.dymo.com/enGB/Software/LabelPoint_350.html

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
Thanks Malcolm, and thanks for the link.
Since the device is aded to your list of printers, selectable by WORD, it means it will work from the labels program GA048
Would you like to do a little test exercise?
I'll make up a label design, you can download and give it a try.
This should be very easy.

I discovered at the end of day that we have 3 labellers in the company I work for.
One is fairly similar to Lauries, one a larger device (no PC connection), and the third in our stores dept has a PC connection. I havent seen the last two but I'll have a look tomorrow.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 10:19:21 PM »

Yes George will try the test exercise, but be aware I have not ventured into the labels part of IG pro, and also at the moment I only have 12mm tape for the Dymo.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 10:39:43 PM »
Thats great Malcolm
I have to get this Chiltern Catalog released first if its OK with you we'll try it after that (in a few days time).
12 mm tape will be OK
If thats what you use, then we'll design for that.
Have you used other sizes in the past? If yes, whats your preferred size?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:52 PM »

The plastic labels we use for the plants in pots or beds are only 13mm wide, so 12mm tape fits on ok.
It is bad enough at this time of year with all the labels on show, but when the plants start growing, they become less obvious, so have only used the 12mm George.

We have been to open gardens, with hardly a label anywhere, and would like to have known what the plant was. Can't even find the owner to ask.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
I recall taking photos of the Camellias at Lady Dixon Park in Belfast.
All were well labelled on steel rods, but they were about 2 ft from the centre of the bush. I ended up crawling under the BIG ones, with briers everywhere. Lost a pair of glasses! 
People though I was crackers (which on reflection I was) but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

Its really frustrating when they are not labelled! It must be a pleasure to tour your well documented garden!

Any news of the TV program?.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »
To clear up the reference of the term Pendaflex, it is a brand name of the old Oxford Pendaflex, which is a system of hanging file folders for filing papers, etc., in offices. I believe it is still owned by Esselte, which is a Dutch firm. I know, because I have sold millions of them, and I have in my hand now, Avery inserts for them, that you can use with M/S Word templates. The Avery order numbers are; #11137 for 1/3 cut and #11136 for 1/5 cut for the inserts. I tried to do a search in Word for templates, but no luck, thinking that the template might help design a layout.

The last catalog I have is 2004, in it, the Dymo #30327 tape refill (1/3 cut) is a white label stock, and measures 3-7/16? x 9-7/16? (US), the #30376 (1/5 cut) -- 2?x 9/16?. Assuming the Dymo refill is designed for indoor use, it might not stand up in the weather. Seiko was another brand of printers that we handled, I have no idea if they are still around or what they offer.

Laurie: See if you can find a UK equivalent for Avery #6577 US label stock, 5/8?x3?, it is what I am having good look with, as long as you want only black ink. Not good for color, color takes days to dry but the adhesive is real good. It is labeled as permanent, durable label, resists moisture, scuffing, tearing and smudging. It is what I am using with the Epson DuraBrite. I was out working in my vegetable bed(s) this afternoon, and came across a buried label from last growing season, I picked it up and rubbed across it with my gloved hand, the label was sticking real well to the pot-sticker, and the ink was just as clear as if I had printed it yesterday. It has been out in the weather since month of May. Experiment with it and see if you and others can somehow make it work for you. Maybe Avery UK will send you some samples; it comes in various label sizes.

Best of luck, you guys, with your GA048 (UK) program.

- Toby

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »

Thank you Toby for the info regarding Pendaflex, I must admit I had never heard of it before.
In the choice of Pendaflex it mentioned small and large, which figures with the tapes you describe.

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 08:34:12 AM »

George

Any news of the TV program?.

Last we heard was that it had been through the editing and they were very pleased. That was the producer of the program.
I guess it will be in Spring/early Summer, still no idea if it will be just a 3 minute clip or more. Just hope it will not be too near one of our open days.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 08:40:56 AM »
Laurie: See if you can find a UK equivalent for Avery #6577 US label stock, 5/8?x3?.....

I've found the topic where a discussion between yourself, George and others about outdoor labels was started, so it might be a good idea to refresh our memories and go through this again.  That way we won't be covering old ground again when researching.

This is the link to the original topic - http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,527.0.html.

George was making enquiries with Avery at this time, but as far as I'm aware they never replied to him.  Maybe George can confirm this.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
12 mm tape will be OK
If thats what you use, then we'll design for that.
Have you used other sizes in the past? If yes, whats your preferred size?

just ordered the pt2100 which goes upto 18mm tz tape, will the IG PRO label programme be suitable for that width of tape, or just one size
Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »
To explain:
User describes Label size
I design a Label template
I add it to the Labels table (see below) as a new option
I then post this as a download
I email the link for you to download

Start Labels (tab on menu) > Labels GA048
Click the Select a Label pop-up
The new Label Template will be listed
Select your label and continue - adding Plant Name, text etc as required.
You can save your completed Label using the program, for use later
There's no limit to number of labels you save.

Thus, to answer your question, I can design any label template to customer requirements.

Unfortunately (as you have seen) labels come in all shapes and sizes, and printers are many and varied
Some of the ones weve been discussing can print text only, perhaps barcodes.
Some can print everything, including Photos, text at any orientation etc
GA048 allows you to print photos on Labels,  and all the above

Labelling with IG Pro/Bonsai Genie has reached its stage of development thanks to The Boss  (toby of course!) ;D
I made quite a few amendments to the program and designed a number of labels for Toby during our project about this time last year.
Toby did the research and came up with a good printer, a good ink and sourced a range of what he judged to be the most practical label sizes from easily obtainable Label stock in the US.
We are now about to do the same for UK printers and labels
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:09:38 AM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »
GA048 allows you to print photos on Labels,
hence the purchase of the pt 2100
once i have printer i can have a play with it and get back to you, i maybe able to copy and paste from igpro label text into 2100 printer programe and just insert image and see what happens