Author Topic: Choosing a Label Printer (for printing our Plant Labels)  (Read 40192 times)

Offline whis4ey

Choosing a Label Printer (for printing our Plant Labels)
« on: April 27, 2007, 01:24:13 PM »
Edited by ideasguy on 19th Jan 09
Ive split out a discussion on Label Printing devices which developed in the Laminated Labels topic to give the important subject its own topic.

We will use this topic to discuss what printers our members are using and hopefully learn from the various reports which printer would best suit our individual requirements - something which would be invaluable to anyone considering investing in such a device/printer.
*======================
Starts with this posting by Whis4ey
*======================

Well ....  I have just bought a Brother laminated label maker.  The labels are supposed to be weather resistant, and good down to minus 15C and up to loads plus C as well
Gonna keep trying :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:44:14 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
I think thats a real good investment Billy

Whats the model number. I'd like to look it up on the net.

Offline whis4ey

Label Printers
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
The Essentials Company George
2420PC ... £99 :(
Plus another £20 for laminated label roll :(

Offline whis4ey

Label Printers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:32:52 AM »
This is label Mk 2
The backing is a piece of split bamboo coated in exterior Polyurathane (wonder how you actually DO spell that? :))
The label itself is from my new labeller
Now all I have to do is wait and see how it braves the elements ...  sun, rain and frost/snow

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
Well, it LOOKS good Billy. I like the use of the Bamboo.

What are the measurements of that label? Font sizes?
I'll have a go at reproducing that in IG Pro labelling program.

Offline whis4ey

Label Printers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 06:02:13 PM »
ArrusBT bold 32 and 18 pt :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 10:30:24 PM »
Thanks Billy. Its a nice font!

Offline whis4ey

Label Printers
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
OK
This is the latest version
A small block of scrap mahogany
Drill a hole from top to bottom to hold a galvanised 4 inch nail
Drill a wider hole at the top to countersink the head of the nail about a third of the way down
Insert the nail and tap well in, and then glue a piece of dowel to conseal the head.
Stain the top with mahogany wood stain
Varnish the lot with exterior varnish
Add the label
Hey presto :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 07:53:48 PM »
Very neat indeed!!!
Now that really is a labour of love, but well worth the effort for those precious plants of  yours Billy.

Offline bossgard

Label Printers
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:42:33 PM »
Hi! Have read with great interest some earlier postings relating to this same topic. I experimented this past season (before having Ideas Genie) and created labels for labeling plants either by tying them to a stick, or putting them in the soil in the pots. I used M/S Word mail merge program, and used the address form template to create 3-line labels.
By using abbreviations, codes, etc., my labels contained - ID#, type of plant, plant's name, manufacturer/grower, source, specie, color, year purchased, etc. Printed by Epson Ink-Jet on Avery #5366 file folder labels, full sheet, 30 on, 2/3"x3-7/16" all white labels. The ink used is manufactured by Epson call DuraBrite, comes in both black and color, supposed to be waterproof, last longer, no fading, etc. The only drawback is that you have to purchase an Epson Printer to use the ink.
The label was attached to white green house markers, 5/8"x6", with it's own adhesive, then wrapped with 3M (Minnesota Mining) #3750, clear 1-7/8" wide, heavy duty packaging tape. One ply on the label side, with the marker centered in the middle of the tape, then the two sides wrapped one after the other around the back. The label was attached to the marker about 1/2" down from the top end, leaving space at the bottom of the marker to place in the soil. When applying the tape, the tape covered the end of the label, but left the point end uncovered. I put the tape on as smooth as possible, and pressed down on it to make the best seal I could. The last step was punching a 1/4" round hole 1/2" down from the top end. The tape also was extended past the top of the marker about 1/2" and sealed tightly.
At this point in time, they are sitill out in the weather, black ink is standing up great and the tape has held up. They have been rained on, full sun, and frost, and have held up for this past season. I am going to experiment with other laminating materials, if anyone has ideas let me know. I was not able to test the color ink because of not having the programming at that time to do it.
In summing my posting of this topic, what I see first of all, is ask yourselves how you are going to use your labels, what do you want on them, and how long does it have to last. For my use in propagating, probably one season, a color picture would be nice, and the info I listed previously. For somebody that has their garden(s) open to the public, or for tours - what do you need? For somebody raising plants for resale - same questions. Maybe by the time we're through we will come up with 3 or 4 basic concepts, by size, info, lasting qualities, etc. There are a lot of materials out there out there to experiment with, a lot of info on the Internet. IdeasGuy's classes on seed starting will surely contribute to the discussion. Hopefully we can find label/markers that are economical to produce and contain the most important elements.
On a related subject: If you need a black marker to mark on the green house markers, or for that matter any material, that will hold up and be waterproof, ask your local gardener's source for a marker made by DP Industries, #GM08, labeled Garden Marker, it too held up very well. Be sure and cap it immediately after using, and it is toxic so use outdoors. It might be available in colors also.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:31:34 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, Toby.
It was well worth waiting for that posting, and thanks for taking the time to put it all together  8)

I've done a check to see if the ink you mention is available on this side of the atlantic, and good news, it is:
http://www.epson.co.uk/supplies/supplies/ink/types/durabrite.htm

More checking out to do. Thanks again Toby! I hope you enjoy it here!

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Label Printers
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
Have read this with interest as i am looking for a good labeling machine and done some searching on the net and found still available in southern ireland aswell  :o 2420PC http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME5831046#spec this printer is compatible with vista, (further searching on the net) as some printers are not compatible as i found out when i purchased my first pc with vista.

Did any one use this laminated label and how did it stand the test of time and marks out of 10 please  ;)

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »
We're currently trying out the Brother P-touch GL200 labelling machine, which prints labels suitable for the standard plastic tags about 15mm wide.

The website describes the machine as "The new GL-200 garden labeller is ideal for outdoor labelling. It creates labels that are rain proof, humidity proof, fade proof, heat resistant and frost resistant."

Check out the Brother P-touch GL200 here.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

Label Printers
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
Laurie thanks for that link looks promising and the price is not bad either
Phil

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »
We're very pleased with it so far Phil.  8)

The labels have already been on some of our outside plants for the past few months now so, considering the harsh freezing temperatures we've had lately, it has been a good test for them.  The labels are still sticking as good as they were when first applied, so at least the first criteria of being frost-resistant seems to have passed okay.

They've been exposed to the sun also, but not the stronger summer sun as yet, and we've not had much rain to speak of either.

But, all in all they appear to be performing very well.

You can change the fonts styles and sizes to your own preference too, so it's a very flexible machine.

We'll be able to give much more definitive results when they've been exposed to all weather conditions.

As they say, watch this space.  :D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:20:56 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline roiphil

Label Printers
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
with regards to the pt 2420PC label maker does any one know how many lines of text it gives you, have looked on brother site and it does not say, thanks phil

Offline whis4ey

Label Printers
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
It depends on the width of tape you use
If you are using tape at 24mm wide you can get 9 lines of text at the smallest size (5)
It is a very versatile machine.  I like it :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »
Lets do an update on durability, as I'll be onto labels again soon.

To Laurie, Billy and the Boss (and anyone else printing labels)-
How have the labels stood up to the weather?
Outdoors?
Indoors?
Greenhouse?
Cold frame?
When Printed?
Whatever info we can gather

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »
To re-iterate - we're using the Brother P-touch GL200 labelling machine.
Label width is 12mm (½").
Prints up to two lines of text, and automatically alters the font size according to how many lines are used, or can be user defined.
Also prints vertically.

We've been using these labels for about 4 months outdoors, and have been through freezing temperatures down to -10 °C, rain and milder winter sun (full summer sun has yet to be tested.)

The labels have stayed fully stuck as when first applied, and we are completely happy with the results so far.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »
Had a look at the website.
From what I see the Brother GL-200 cant be connected to a computer?
Is that correct?

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »
Just a manual input keypad, no computer connection.

Basically it's a more advanced version of the basic Dymo labelling machines.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »
Its a very handy looking device.
Do they offer a product which does what the GL200 does, but with a connection to the computer?

The idea being, Labels can be done within IG Pro/Bonsai Genie and printed to the device.

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
The Brother web site do have PC Connectable labelling machines.

Considerably more expensive though as you will see.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Label Printers
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »
Good work Laurie.
Actually they are reasonable enough for that functionality (barcodes etc)

In the Brother range, thats the devices our members need to choose from if they are to use the Labels program GA048, especially if they need to print Barcodes on the labels (for Point of sale).
Note: The IG software will allow printing in any orientation.

Its nice to be able to take the device to the greenhouse and print ad-hoc labels AND print from the computer. Which product would you choose?

NightHawk

Label Printers
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
From a personal viewpoint, I would go with the handheld device we are using now.  Due to the size of our gardens, we don't have the quantity of labelling tasks to warrant the additional cost.

It will be interesting to hear from our other members who have much larger gardens and consequently more plants to label, to see what their opinions are on this subject.

Laurie.