Author Topic: Rhododendrons  (Read 2994 times)

Tom

Rhododendrons
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
If anyone on the forum is interested in visiting Rhododendron gardens, this might be a good year for flower. I wandered around the garden I look after and was pleasantly surprised by the the number of different rhododendrons that have set flower buds. I have spoken to other gardeners who grow Rhododendrons, they are also thinking it might be a better year than last.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Rhododendrons
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
Thats good news Tom.
From my understanding, Rhodos set the buds in June, and they need lots of water at that time. In 2008, there was water in abundance!
It will be some consolation for the bad summer if the Rhodo displays are good.
I'm looking forward to getting you up and running with the WPG so you can make up a web site to show us the vatrieties you grow at Dalcross Castle.  Heres a link for others to see that garden you look after:
http://www.dalcross.org/

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »
If anyone on the forum is interested in visiting Rhododendron gardens, this might be a good year for flower. I wandered around the garden I look after and was pleasantly surprised by the the number of different rhododendrons that have set flower buds. I have spoken to other gardeners who grow Rhododendrons, they are also thinking it might be a better year than last.

On our recent visit to RHS Harlow Carr Gardens on 30 December 2008 (see topic here - http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,636.45.html ) there were Rhododendrons budding then.  One of them had actually flowered with two pink flowers, although they were wizened and brown with the frost getting to them.  I don't know what type it was as it was not labelled.

Laurie.

Tom

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
Occasionally rhododendrons produce flowers out of season, quite often they are smaller and slightly deformed. Its a bit wild up here in inverness, torrential rain and a bit of a gale, perhaps the rain will get rid of the remaining hard frost .

George, I am almost ready to try to put together my WPG I have been busy sorting out and re-naming photos, hence the re-writer problem. I have begun a project that might interest our members. i

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
Thats great Tom.
Eric is at a similar point, so we can talk you both through the process.

I have begun a project that might interest our members.
Great! Please tell us more. When you ready, please start a new Topic Tom.