Author Topic: Tiger Balm  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
Tiger Balm
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »
Yes, same name as the ointment you can buy. I visited this garden first time round in 1964...It was more a display of sculptures of  people and animals then but the last time I saw it was 1970 and had been slowly transformed with the introduction of mainly native plants. There was a real rush to make Singapore 'accepable' to the traveler then and the country was slowly transformed in all areas, in particular, inner cities and the environment were high on the list...I'd certainly like to know what Tiger Balm Gardens look like today.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Tiger Balm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:54:18 PM »
We may be able to get an answer to that!
I will invite Jessie along to comment. She works in the Singapore Botanical Gardens. They are about 6-8 hours (need to check) ahead of us, so our emailing "window" for immediate response is a.m. UK time.

Offline Kew

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:04:31 PM »
I almost lost my second child to a female baboon in the Botanical Gardens! Walking along with baby in pram when this hugh ape thing ran down and tried to snatch her from the pram. My wife beat it off with a sun-brolly...it took quite awhile before it gave up and it was only when I ran down at it screaming that it gave up. Phew....I could have ended up with a baboon for a son-in-law....well, actually...

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »
Scary, but I have to say (ashamedly) that you had me laughing with the ending.
That, and I just spotted your signature abouth Double Dutch!

To get back to the baby snatching incident - I didnt know they would do something like that. Pram rage?

Offline 3fren

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 06:55:10 AM »
Re the baboon incident... must be a mistaken identity for the female monkey...most likely she had lost her child.

They are usually attracted by food.. cuz visitors had a habit of bring peanuts to feed them.

Signs had been put up now not to feed.

Offline Kew

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
I also thought it might be due to the baboon loosing it's own baby. I have heard of other incidents involving other animals who adopt the young of a totally different species. There's the famous one of a lioness adopting a young wildebeast....off camera 'something' happened and it was eaten...whoops...don't get friendly with a hungry lioness!

Offline 3fren

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »
Out of curiousity...passes by the Tiger Balm garden..

It is ungoing facelift..all hoarded up..  will go and take some pics after the renovation. :(