Author Topic: New edition of Bank Genie  (Read 4574 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
New edition of Bank Genie
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »
As you may have read on the forum news, Ive been working with BarryL on a special project.
Initially it was to import Bank Accounts from Quicken software into Bank Genie.

We started this about this time last year, but I saw the snags, and had to break off until about a month ago. Now its full steam ahead.

Barry supplied sample QIF files, (data extractions from the Quicken system) and I analysed these in conjunction with Quicken file format specification found on the Intuit website.

To capture all the data in the Quicken files, I had to make a painful decision - whether to a) upgrade Bank Genie, or b) to introduce a new Edition of Bank Genie, and keep the original Bank Genie on the market in its current form.
I went for Option b)

Tonight, I am in awe at the power of the internet, and its incredible ability to transfer messages and files. Its a software developers dream. I don't know how we managed in the old days, and thats only a decade ago!
We did the first beta testing exercise this evening.
I posted the skeleton files for the new Edition of Bank Genie and the first new programs.
Barry downloaded and tested. The fun began.
Barry ran the new Quicken Import program. Found a problem. Reported by email. We exchanged emails to home in on the problem. I did a program fix, uploaded the update, Barry downloaded and installed and re-started the import process again.
That cycle continued for a few hours. At times it was like a live conversation.

At the close of play, we had managed to get one of Barry's accounts into Bank Genie, complete with transactions.

Ive just done a count. We exchanged 73 emails today, with information and attachments.

What we have achieved today would have taken weeks a few years ago.
Theres more refinement required, but my, it was a good day in the office!

Needless to say, I'm delighted with the high tech we have at our disposal nowadays. What an incredible system the internet is.

Many thanks to Barry for his expert guidance in this exciting project, and of course for his patience during that "time out".

BTW: I managed to have a peep at the forum from time to time of course! Nice to see all the activity this evening, thanks to Eric for pitching in a few plants for ID. Helps keep me sane!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:44:19 AM by ideasguy »

Offline peter1925

Re: New edition of Bank Genie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:19:15 AM »
George, with so many Banks going broke these days, we do need one that we can depend on getting a cheap loan :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
Cant help anyone in that regard Peter  ;D
The financial world is certainly in free fall - very worrying.
The GBP against the USD is at its lowest rate for many years. It was over 2 dollars to the pound about a year ago.
For anyone exporting from the UK, it was disastrous. Yesterday I read it was 1.5, so that might help, if people can ride the credit crunch.
I noticed the difference over the years. In 2001/2/3, most of my Garden Software customers were from the US. When that rate ramped up, orders fell away, and now the vast majority of business comes from UK.

I'm delighted to see you here. Your business expertise will be invaluable.

Ive told everyone here about your fantastic "Garden of Dreams" in this topic:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,809.0.html
Click and view that topic and tell us whats been happening lately.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:31:20 AM by ideasguy »

Offline barryl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
I have been enjoying testing the new version of Bank Genie interactively with George. The intention is to make a product that accepts data from Quicken now that Intuit have stopped supporting Quicken outside the USA (what a stupid decision!).

We are still at what I would call an alpha stage and George calls Beta - some of the new modules present but lots of work still needed. However everything looks good so far and the product should be wonderful when released.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 10:31:17 PM »
To keep you updated, this project is moving ahead very nicely.

I cant thank Barry enough for his guidance and his patience - and for dedicating a LOT of time to this project.
Things have moved on at an exceptional rate due to very fast replies to my queries, and immediate feedback on the performance of each new program update.

Barry has provided sample files, without which it would have been very difficult to do testing and debugging.
Hes an expert Quicken user, and having that wealth of information and experience to rely on, I feel more than confident that this is going to be a very successful product.

Its been a pleasure working with such a fine tutor!

We are still fine tuning the import program which I developed to import Quicken QIF file output into the new edition of Bank Genie.
We've updated and tested it almost daily.
Ive also developed the two primary programs to work with Bank Accounts and Transactions, and to analyse the data, once imported.

Looking good!