Author Topic: Epiphytes  (Read 3795 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Epiphytes
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »
Ive exchanged a few emails with an Australian user of IG Pro. Heres their web site:
http://www.greenwall.com.au/index.html

As you see, they reproduce many Epiphytes for their project.

I did some research to read about Epiphytes, and found this fascinating article.
http://rainforests.mongabay.com/0405.htm

Ive emailed the link to my colleagues and friends

The orchid reproduction strategies are incredible!

We had a laugh about this:
RE:
When the male bee smells the perfume, it goes to the orchid to collect an oily substance which he will use to attract females
After shave and perfumery for bees - what next!

And theres more. How about this:
One of the best examples of a tiny ecosystem based in an epiphyte is the tank bromeliad of South America whose stiff, upturned leaves can hold more than two gallons (8 L) of water. These reservoirs of water not only provide a drinking supply for many canopy animals but also create an entire habitat which species use for shelter and breeding.

And those pesky ants DO have a purpose in life (apart from teeming around me in their thousands when I'm weeding, and stinging my wee grandson)
Bromeliads, especially those with interconnecting chambers, are often colonized by stinging ants, which provide the plant with nutrients produced by ant waste and their collection of decaying debris

Heres a revelation:
A surprisingly high amount of nutrients is provided by falling rain. For example, at a site near Manaus, Brazil, rain brought three kilograms of phosphorus, two kilograms of iron, and ten kilograms of nitrogen per hectare annually
Eric had green snow on his car recently. I recall one occasion a few years ago when my car  (and the surroundings if I'd been awake enough at that time of the morning to explore) was covered with sand, which I later found out had rode the air waves all the way from the Sahara desert.
Makes you wonder!

Read this bit about the Epiphyte we all know so well:
Mistletoe, actually an arboreal parasite, is a typical example of an aerial epiphyte-like plant with seeds that are spread in such a way as to ensure continuance of the species. Its berries have a laxative coating so they pass rapidly through the digestive system of the birds that consume them. In addition, the seeds have a sticky coat so when they pass out of the bird, they stick to the tail feathers. Hence, when the bird rubs the seeds on canopy branches, complete with natural fertilizer, the seeds end up in just the right place for growth.
Does any of our members grow Mistletoe?
I love orchids. We have a beauty which flowers for months each year. Ive rescued it from the bin on one occasion and it survived, rewarding with another flush of beautiful flowers next year!

Offline bossgard

Re: Epiphytes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:28:53 PM »
I have two Mistletoe trees that have been in my yard since I can remember. This time of the year they are loaded with red berries and bright green foliage, truly, a plant for coming holiday decoration. I usually hang a swag of branches tied with a red bow on my backdoor.

I have no profile information on them at all, but they are of two different varieties. I have a bush variety in my bird/animal sanctuary area, which grows wild and is considered native and invasive.  It sure spreads quickly, and now I know how and why.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »
There is another epiphyte that can be grown in parts of the UK. I have recently planted three bromeliads from chile (Fascicularia bicolor), it resembles the top of a pineapple but when it is about to flower the central leaves turn bright red and a blue flower develops in the centre. It need to be sited carefully and given very sharp drainage, I also have planted it on a slope so that excess water will run off.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
I imagine there cant be many Bromeliads growing in Scotland, Tom. Is this their first winter? Do you plan to lift them over winter? From your posting it looks like youve chosen that site as somewhere they will survive outdoors.

Tom

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I intend to grow them outside all year, I grew them successfully on the Isle of Skye. It is a bit of a risk east of inverness, but thats part of the fun. The important thing is stop them from sitting wet all winter.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »
In the US they call this practice "Zone pushing". Growing plants which are not supposed to survive in our regions.

Do you think books are conservative in their definition of the hardiness of plants? Its amazing what we can get away with now we have milder winters.

It will be interesting to hear from you how they overwinter for you.

If its not too personal, what was the name of the garden you managed on Skye, Tom?

Tom

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »
Now that I have let eveyone know that I intend to grow said bromeliad outside we will probably have one of those 1 in 10 winters with record low temperatures. Hope not.  I do think some authorities have got it wrong on hardiness, but I have limited experience of growing in areas with prolonged periods of severe frost. I do most of my plant buying by mail-order, on the odd occasoin I have been put off a purchase because the nursery has come up with its own hardiness zones which says it will never grow where I live. I then find it thriving in a neighbours garden. Some plants are vulnerable when young but develop hardiness as they grow. Some plants will come through with a heavy mulch or a fleece blanket. we can create micro-climates within our gardens to try some of the more risky plants.

On the Isle of Skye I worked at Dunvegan Castle, home of the Clan Macleod since 1120. I went there to help with the restoration of the walled garden. The garden is open to the public april-oct and is worth a visit.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »
Is this the website Tom?
http://www.dunvegancastle.com/content/default.asp

RE:
Since 1986 the Gardens have been under the direction of Thomas Shephard
Did you work with Thomas Shephard when you were there?

RE:
...we will probably have one of those 1 in 10 winters with record low temperatures
'course you wont Tom. We're willing the good weather on you  :)

RE:
Some plants are vulnerable when young but develop hardiness as they grow.
Now, thats interesting. Presumably, they get a better root system as they mature? In the case of trees and shrubs, I imagine they extend their roots to places they like (?) Ibve noticed a few of my plants "legging it" to another part of the garden!

Tom

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
Yes, that E-mail address is correct, and yes again to working with Tom Shephard. Tom is a great plantsman, a former Head at Great Dixter. He was very generous with his vast plant knowledge. The years we spent restoring the walled garden were some of my favourite times in gardening. I learned more there than any other place so far.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »
Are you still in contact with Tom Shepard, Tom?
If yes, I'd very much appreciate an "introduction". Wonder if we could convince him to have a go with IG Pro (how poetic  :)