Photography > Questions

Very odd lighting

(1/4) > >>

Palustris:
We were at a plant show today. The lights in the Hall have orange covers on them. It gives a light rather like the street lamps do in some places. It totally changes the colour of many of the plants, white ones appear yellow (in photos I mean) and pink goes orange etc. I did try changing the White balance on the camera, but either I did it wrong or the light was too bad even for that. I did try using flash, but the back ground for many of the plants is reflective plastic sheeting. When I have put a few on Photobucket I will post some for you look at. However, since there are 3 shows in this place and I really would like to get some decent pictures, has anyone any idea as to what I can do?

This is one of them. the card with the name is pure white or should be

Photoshopped . The pink is about right.

Best I can do for the present.

NightHawk:
Eric,

I have posted the second photo that you worked on - let me know if the colours are close to the real ones.

If they are, post her and I'll explain what I did, and what you can do with your other photos.

I hope this is what you wanted.

Laurie.

Palustris:
Wow. That  is as close to the correct colours as I can remember them being. Knew I was right in asking on here  ;D

NightHawk:
I'm pleased to hear that Eric.  ;D

You gave a great clue as to where the problem was when you mentioned the orange lighting effect being cast in the hall.

Also, the little hints that the name card should have been white and your flowers pink.  This got me in the right area quickly to know where to do a colour correction to get the right results.

Now I'll explain what I did.

With your photo open, and using the menu bar at the top select Enhance, Adjust Color, Adjust Hue/Saturation.

Make sure that Preview is selected on this menu so that you can see the results as you're working.

Select Yellows from the drop-down box.

Move the slider bar of Lightness to the right.  Take it to +100.  This will remove the yellow colour cast on the name card.

Now select Reds from the drop-down box.

We need to reduce the orange cast from your flowers, so move the Hue slider bar to the left to get negative values.  I got to about -52 until I got an acceptable pink colour.

That's it.

You mentioned in your posting that you have Photoshop.  I have Photoshop Elements 7, but I imagine the procedure will be very similar to get the same results.

You may need to adjust the sliders slightly one way or the other until you are satisfied with the colours.

Now try this yourself with the photo you posted (the one I worked on) and see if you get the same results.

Hopefully you will.  Then you can play around with your other photos in the same way.

Let us know how you get on.

Laurie.

Palustris:
That works brilliantly, will now have a go at some of the others. Ta muchly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version