Author Topic: Shoot Garden Awards  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Palustris

Shoot Garden Awards
« on: September 01, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
Without me realising it, my garden has been entered for the Shoot People's Garden Awards. Apparently it has reached the final 12 gardens and is now up for public voting. So if you feel so inclined you might want to check out at http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/. Not sure if you have to join to vote and I know the place is not as good as Lynne and Malcolm's, but we like it!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Shoot Garden Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
A quick note to members here:
I'd like to point out that we don't set out to compete on this forum. Its hard enough to get members - then its even harder to get members to post.

I stress on my ideasforgardens.com website that the size of a garden doesn't matter. In most cases, large gardens are divided into rooms, with different themes etc. Many of the garden rooms are of the proportions of a small garden, which in my opinion, would be manageable by people who have a day job and don't have as much time as they would like to devote to a garden.

The most important thing is - the gardener must make a careful choice of the plants to grow in their own space.

Ive visited quite a number of private gardens. In the case of larger gardens, very often the owner is unable to cope.
In the case of smaller gardens, they tend to be well maintained.
That experience led me to adopt the phrase  :)Its not what you grow, its the way that you grow it
The title for an article some day, if I ever get round to it  :'(

What we set out to do here is to share our gardening delights, on whatever scale we work with. From this we can both inspire and get inspiration.

Having said all that (phew) Ive had a look at the Shoot web site, and your garden, Eric.
If the plants list is anything to go by, you are going to win it hands down!!
And... you've just got my vote  ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »
Well said George.  I totally agree.

Our gardens are a case in point, as you know from following our recent garden project on the front garden and now to our rear garden.

The front one is quite small, and the rear one is medium sized.  By no means would it take a long time to walk around it, a few minutes maybe.

Because of this, and certain other constraints, we only have limited planting space available to us.  But we've accomplished great things, especially in the front as you have seen.

So, I don't think we need to get hung up on size here, and feel inadequte if someone has a bigger one.  :-[  (Need to be careful here.)  I think everyone's garden should be judged on its own merits by the planting scheme chosen, and not the size of the garden.

I've seen photos of both Eric's garden and also Lyn and Malcolm's garden.  Both are beautifully constructed and extremely well planted, but I wouldn't judge one as better than the other because of the size difference.

I agree with George that we need to make that clear, so we don't get into a 'competition' frame of mind.

Phew!!!  Having said all that, Eric, you have just received our vote.  ;D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:09:41 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »
Whoops, sorry. I was not getting competetive. I suppose it is my way of looking at things. I look at my our garden and feel very dissatisfied with it at times. Then I look at other folks efforts and feel even more dissatisfied. That is not to say anything other than that I think that there is room for much improvement in our space. That is the beauty of sites like this, you can see other folks effors, appreciate them and pinch their ideas.
As I said, I did not even know that I had entered the Shoot competition, probably would not have done so if I had, in fact certainly would not have. Still, thanks for the votes.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
Nothing to feel sorry about Eric.

None of us want you, or anyone else for that matter, to feel that their garden is not up to scratch with other people's gardens, so it was our way of getting this point across to everyone else.  :)

Our gardens are our own special haven, whether they're big or small, it does NOT matter one bit.  If we can gain pleasure and solitude in our own 'little' spaces then that is what counts.

So don't feel bad about this Eric.  We should all feel very proud of what we accomplish in our gardens, and first and foremost is the pleasure it gives the individual who created it.  Different things appeal to different people, and it will always be like that.  Anyone else's appreciation of our efforts is a VERY pleasant bonus.  ;D

If it's any consolation Eric, we're actually envious at the size of your garden compared to ours.  But we don't feel as though we've failed in our efforts and that our gardens are not as good as any of the bigger ones.  It's all relative.  We all make the most of what we've got, and as far as we are concerned (and this is just a personal opinion), our efforts are as good as anyone else's, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Laurie.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:39:09 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
I'm the one to apologise here, Eric. I didn't mean to dim the spotlight on your achievements with the "competitive" posting.

I'm delighted that your garden is chosen for voting. I think I can speak for all here in wishing you the very best of luck - we are rootin' for you! Be sure to keep us informed on developments.

I posted the message to make everybody here feel comfortable. I was prompted to do that in response to this (see quote) in your posting to begin this thread:
RE:
and I know the place is not as good as Lynne and Malcolm's, but we like it!

Lets get this thread back on track, and follow your progress!

I have a question:
Did you upload photos to the Shoot web site for all of the plants listed in your nomination? You've a lot of plants there!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:50 PM »
No, you can upload pictures to the site, ut most of the ons ae there already. It saves me an awful lot of time, sitting witing for downloads to happen.
Actually a good half of my plants are not in their Database at all, so I have a lot more than are mentioned there.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
Have you had a chance, (and feeling well enough) to have a go at adding your plants to Flower Genie Eric?
Now, that I WOULD very much like to see.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »
Problem we are having is with our ISP (about the only one which still provides Dial up.) Some of my postings have had to be done at the Library since we just cannot get on line at all at times.
 Also many of my photos are unlabelled so it is going to take me a great deal of time to go through them and put names to them.
 So ,sorry not been doing much of anything lately. I will try eventually honest guv!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:08:22 PM »
Hi Eric
I hope you are feeling better this week. Its really good to see you posting.

I have to say, I really do appreciate the effort you are making to contribute here, considering your connection problems.
Once a user has had Broadband for a while they forget how much of a pain dial-up is. Being dis-connected when working on the net was a real headache.

A suggestion - may make it a little easier for you.
Off line, write up your postings in a text editor such as Word, or Notepad.
Then log in to the forum, and copy from WORD and paste into your reply.

You can also use the data editor in Flower Genie.
Start GA037
Add a dummy plant
In screen GA037S01 (the initial screen) Right click n the text in the bottom right of the screen (the plant info text region).
A full screen editing page comes up - FG100S09 (in IG Pro, its GA100S09 - looks and does exactly the same thing).
Have you found that screen already?
Its perfect for writing up text, for pasting into the forum.
Once youve got your text finished, log into the forum, and post.
You can even save as you go along, so you can have a rest, or go and look something up, say in a book.

Do the reverse if you feel you want to reply to a posting:
Copy the message text in the forum
Paste it into the editing screen FG100S09

Keep up the good work. I'm following your postings with great interest.

Any more developments on Shoot awards?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »
Second Thanks folks! £500 is not to be sneezed at!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:26:04 PM »
Wow!!! That is fantastic, Eric  8)

Congratulations.
Treat you and yours to a nice holiday. You both deserve it.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »
Garden vouchers. And ME on Holiday. You are joking of course!
Actually quite pleased 'cos the second does not get the publicity of the winner which is better for me really.

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »
Congratulations Eric.

I like your modest attitude of not wanting the recognition and publicity of being the winner.

Take heart though, you're a winner to us.  ;D

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
This is the winning garden. Wonder what one spends £1,000 in garden vouchers on in a 40 mt square area which is already full!
http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/siteGarden.php?garden_profileid=5309

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
Easy enough In some garden centres, Eric. Ive seen the price tags on some "largish" Japanese maples!
Then if you fancy a few items of trained topiary...

Mind you, I'd love those tokens on my next visit to my local nurseries!!