Photography > Questions

Adobe Photoshop CS3

(1/4) > >>

bossgard:
Kathie and Laurie:
Is Adobe Photoshop CS3 the software that I should purchase as a beginner? Adobe also has a Creative Suite 3 shown. You are certainly correct, either one would be the most that I have ever paid for software!  For your record, I purchased a Kodak V570 camera over a year ago, have yet to take a picture with it, gardenwise or other. I start reading the User Guide, and all the settings, etc., scare me. Besides using the camera in the garden, I also do quite a bit of hiking (beautiful scenery here) where I will use it. Kodak does have a pretty nice website, very helpful so far.
- Toby

NightHawk:
Hi Toby

First of all, Photoshop CS3 is definitely NOT for beginners.  It is both VERY expensive and difficult to learn.  Typically, if you do graphics design as part of your everyday work then it is worth the expense.  I know other people do use this version, which is their choice and I do not condemn them for that.  I have tried the full version of Photoshop CS3 as a trial, so I can speak from experience - and I am an experienced computer user and graphics designer.

Myself, and I know George, both use Photoshop Elements.  Think of this as the baby of Photoshop CS3, but don't be fooled by this.  It is an extremely powerful version of Photoshop CS3, with some of the features disabled, but is a lot easier to learn.  As a side-note, I know of people who have purchased CS3 and still also buy Photoshop Elements - because Elements has a 'Photo Organizer' feature that CS3 does not have.  That is another story so I won't confuse you here.

As regards cost - Photshop Elements 6.0 will cost you around $99, as opposed to Photoshop CS3 costing $649.  These are Adobe online store prices for the full versions, but if you shop around you could get it cheaper.

For a beginner I would recommend Photoshop Elements.  You certainly won't be disappointed, and as myself and George are familiar with this software we can give you help if you get stuck with it.

I know new digital cameras can be very daunting with all their menu choices, but persevere and 'jump right in' and you'll be surprised.

I have been brought up over the years on manual 35mm cameras, where you set everything yourself.  When I switched over to digital, I must confess that it took me a while to get used to the large array of menu choices available to achieve the same results.  So I know exactly what you mean about being confused.

The best thing I can suggest is to get your camera and just take a picture.  It will have a default setting which should give acceptable results.  Once you've seen what they look like, then you can experiment.  Although I'm not familiar with your particular model of camera, they generally give some basic Scene Modes to choose from - e.g. sunsets, portraits, landscapes, etc.  You just need to decide on the type of subject you will want to take a picture of, then look up in your user manual what button presses you need to make to get your camera into that particular mode.

Just don't be afraid Toby.  You can't damage your camera by experimenting.  The most you would lose is a particular photograph you wanted to take, but if you can go back again another time to get it, then you've nothing to worry about.

Of course, the beauty of digital is that it does not cost you anything financially by just taking loads of pictures whilst you're experimenting.  That is the key here, experimentation.  Do not be intimidated by your camera.  You will be glad you persevered when you finally see the results of your efforts.

We have something else in common here Toby - hiking.  Kathy and I also do a lot of countryside expeditions, getting out into the clean fresh air and marvelling at the great British countryside.  I'm sure you have siimilar beautiful places in your neck of the woods 'across the pond'.  We do a lot of birdwatching as well, so we get to see the countryside and the wildlife we so dearly love.

I hope I have given you food for thought.

Don't hesitate to get back to me for further info and advice.

Laurie.

Lynda A:
Hi there Lynda from Spain here.  I was interested to hear your comments about photoshop elements, I was looking at tit the other day as I thought it might help cataloging pictures for my gardening book, that i am writing.  I work on a Mac and although 'iphoto' is good elements sounds like it has a bit more to offer.  After reading your thoughts on it I think i will go ahead an order it.  I have a a Fuji finepix S8000fd which my husband bought me for Christmas.  He used to be Editor on a photographic mag, and although i initially wanted a CanonEs i am really pleased with it.  Will attach a pic if i can but last time i tried i had problems resizing mine to upload to the site.
Regards  Lynda

NightHawk:
Hi Lynda

I'm pleased to hear that you like the sound of 'Elements'.  I think this will work great for you.

You've probably read the write-up about the 'Photo Organizer' feature, which enables you to put 'tags' on a specific set of photos.  These are like electronic markers, so if you have several hundred photos of flowers in your collection and you only wanted to pick out say Pansies, then you would assign a tag for 'Pansies' to each of those photos and Elements will display only those.
Of course, don't forget whichever flower software of George's you have, Flower Genie or Ideas Genie / Ideas Genie Pro, you will have them catalogued there for your reference.

Another powerful feature of 'Elements' is the way you can easily resize your photos, and when you come to save them for posting on the Forum you would use the 'Save for web' option.  This will show your photo on a side-by-side screen.  The original on the left with its file size on disc and the right hand side one is what it will look like when you play with the compression settings.  Below this photo you will see the file size on the fly.  This is especially useful if your photo is being stored on your hard drive and are attaching it to be uploaded to George's server.  As you know the file size limit is 128kb, so 'Elements' will let you get the file size just right.
PERFECT!  8)

Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your pictures.

Laurie.

P.S.  With your husband's connection with photography it would be great to have his input, particularly in this section of the Forum.   8)

It's a shame you didn't get the camera you wanted - Canon have an exceptional range of excellent models.  But I'm sure your husband chose you a good alternative.  ;)

ideasguy:
I think I should butt in here and let y'all know about a new "tool" which Ive developed in IG Pro.
Its a - resize program  :)
Rather than upset thios thread, please see the topic Ive just posted in "Whats New" in the Ideas Genie Pro board on this forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version