Author Topic: Got down-time? Do plant labels/markers now!  (Read 11445 times)

Offline bossgard

Re: Got down-time? Do plant labels/markers now!
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
PREFACE:

My CX6000 Epson Printer, Scanner, Copier that I use for printing labels generated with GA048 LABELS was purchased for approx. $100.00(US from local dealer. It?s DuraBrite Cartridges Epson T069120(B)(US$16.99) T069220(C)(US$12.99), T069320(M)(US$12.99) and T060420(Y)(US$12.99), which are same price and size as for my Epson Photo Printer R220 (freebie with purchase of my camera) which does not use DuraBrite inks. With that reasoning, I am supposing that ink cartridges are competively priced between both models, and I am not paying extra for DuraBrite ink.

Earlier in the year, George and I began work on a US GA048 LABEL program because I needed a method of labeling my vegetable seed starts. Each time we would finish a particular label layout I would run label copies and attach them to supports, and place them outdoors, and most of them are still outdoors. Some of the label stock did not hold up but the DuraBrite ink has always kept shining through. Its black is nice and dark, the colors very bright and do not fade in the bright sun. Since the start of this project, Avery Label has come out with several new additions to there label line that I have tested and seem to hold up well in the weather also and have stuck to whatever type of support I attached them to. So, about ten months test tells me that maybe we?ve found a solution to good gardening labels. I am going to order two more new label stocks from Avery that indicate they would be also suitable and test those.

PLEASE START WITH IMAGE #2 AND THE TOP LABEL MARKED #6577:

This was the first size and type of label that was to be used primarily to apply to pot sticks for inserting into the small pots that held my vegetable and flower starts. (For those who might not know what a pot stick is, that?s the white plastic spiked label that is stuck in the pot of the plant you just purchased from your garden center.) As you can see, it has two lines of data only, no photos. The sample copy indicates some information you could include on your own labels.

This same label could be used to attach to file folders or envelopes that you might use to file information and the packet from the seeds you are starting.

In my next posting, I?ll cover the remaining label layouts.

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »
I just realized I did not give you the size of the #6577 label; it is 5/8?x3?.

- Toby I

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
Thats all really good work Toby.

I'm very impressed with your technical ability in producing those pdf's to show us here.
As for the labels program BS048, well, you made it look real easy  :)

I look at those and think Did we do THOSE? GOSH!

They look really really good.
I'm looking forward to working with you on the new ones youve sourced.
The sideways and upside down text should be fun, but Ive done that before so should all be easy enough.
Thanks for keeping this important topic alive!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
Sure, the Label Images look good; you taught me everything I know. The images were JPEG via scanner though, not PDF?s.

But ?on the with the show?:

Back to Image #2, the second label is #5523:

The label size is 5/8?x3?, I found a pot stick that measures 5/8x6? that fits perfectly, leaving space at the top to punch a round ΒΌ? diameter hole to put a string through and space for the label and the remaining 2-1/2? at the bottom blank so that the label is not submerged in the medium. We also gained one more line for the text copy. In all the samples I show I put as much copy as will go into the data space so that you can see how much data each will contain.

Image #2, label #5523, you might keep in mind that this one you can use as a good test label. The label measure 2?x4?, and is found in quite a few different label stocks that Avery offers. It is the first one we did with text and photo, and was designed with the thought that it could be attached to plant pots or the end of trays, etc.

Image #1, label Orion 400-175 is actually not printed on label stock (unless you want too, and more on that later) but is printed on a special stock that can be ordered from Orion Garden Markers http://gardenmarker.com/. This might be considered a professional label/support that is designed to be permanent specimen marker in the garden. Besides the special paper stock, it comes with an UV (ultra-violet) shield you place over the top of the print-out. You can also order all metal stakes with powder coat finish which measure 10? top to point to hold it. On the holder there is a berm that attaches with screws, that holds the shield and the label tightly into the stake holder. This label measures approximate 1-3/4?x4?.

Image #1, label Orion 311-54lc is from the same Orion Markers company. I included it in the layouts because I see it as a multiple purpose type of label. Orion designed it to be an external sign printed by laser printer only (see their website for details). My use was more as an internal (out of the weather) sign that would display information as in a retail setting, plant sale, or garden shows. I did order the galvanized holders with screw holes for mounting onto my own support. Again, see Orion website for more info. I can see George offering this in several layouts, the information as shown, also a space for large pricing figures (SPECIAL - $.99 EA.), different information to the right of photo, etc. This label is available in 5?x4?, and 7?x5?. The layout for testing is 5?x4?, I?m sure George would design the larger layout if requested.

My final suggestion: NOTHING IS CUT IN STONE, if you want to print these layouts on other stock than label, do so. Secondly, keep in mind that there can be changes in printing inks, and changes in label stock availability, and there?s a lot of testing to do. I?m going to go back to my original web searches (about 10 of them) and see what?s new.

George, it?s all yours, and good luck with the Lessons. I will be doing them, too

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 11:58:11 PM »
All great labels, but as I recall I didnt complete that Orion 311-54lc label
I need to allow you more flexibility to configure the text to the right of the image.
We can pick up on that when we resume. Its a really good big label.