Author Topic: October Garden  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Keith

October Garden
« on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:13 PM »
Its been a good year for the shrubs & summer bedding, still looking well in October, very little leaf fall yet. I have had to take the dahlias up, to make way for the winter pansies & wallflowers ( they were getting a little root bound in their pots) and I like to have them established before the end of the month. This winters projects are making raised beds on the veg plot at the top of the back garden and making my own sowing/pricking out/potting compost the 'Berryfields' way ( been watching Gardeners World a lot) . Have got all the ingredients assembled, ready to mix as required. Looking promising !!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:03:15 PM by Keith »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: October Garden
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
Your garden looks absolutely brilliant, Keith. Its a pleasure to view.

One thing I'd like to comment on right away, is how you have managed to combine shrubs and flowers, in that lovely border on the left.
I find that a very difficult challenge. What are your favourites in that border?

Shame you had to take up the Dahlias. They are usually at their best at this time of year around my parts.
My neighbour a short distance away has a fine show yet. Mine were absolutely terrible this year. They just didnt grow with any strength. I'm still waiting for my first flower from The Bishop of Llandaff  >:(
I'm afraid I didnt have time this year  :-[
I went looking for signs of a nice one, Ellen Houston a couple of weeks ago. After some weeding, I found a few shoots at ground level.

I never lift my dahlias. I mark the spots woth a ring of sticks. Normally I clear weeds in spring and apply slug pellets (sorry, nature lovers). The Bishop has survived a number of years now, and in a fairly damp spot - still survives the frost.
Eventually they die out, of course.

Do you not find them difficult to over-winter after lifting? A Dahlia expert I know lifts his and stores them in a room in his house (amazing what you can get away with when you are a bachelor!) He tells me that he still loses tubers.   

Offline Keith

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the compliment George.
I keep the shrubs in the left border pruned back so that I have about 12 ins clear in front of them, give that a good layer of garden compost when I clear the bedding in Autumn and then a dressing of chicken manure pellets the following spring, before I bed out again. This front bit of the border only gets early morning sun so I stick to bedders that tolerate that.
I always lift my Dahlia tubers so that I can do some winter/spring bedding ( don't like too many bare plots in winter). You have just reminded me to get some tubers of 'Bishop of Landaff' , I fancy a row in my centre bed in front of my taller varieties, it looks a super combination of flower & foliage.

When I lift my Dahlias I wash them off,divide them as required, treat any cuts with green sulphur powder, and then pot them up in plastic crates in riddled leafmould then store under the staging in the greenhouse ( I keep house frost free). I start to keep them moist when I see the eyes just breaking through, usually late March. Up to press I have not had any disastrous losses.

Having said all that my Dahlia plants have not been up to par this year, they have not even reached the top of the supports that I tie them in to.
I have also had a poorish veg year, potatoes with scab and all brassicas badly eaten by Wood Pigeons.

But thats gardening isn't it George, it would not be as interesting if it was all plain sailing .         
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:16:18 PM by Keith »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »
Yes, thats gardening Keith!

RE your comment:
This front bit of the border only gets early morning sun so I stick to bedders that tolerate that.
Matter of curiosity, and I think I will be asking this on behalf of other members: what bedders work for you in those conditions?

My 'Bishop of Landaff' doesnt put on a lot of foliage. Unlike regular dahlias its more airy, and would be suitable for front of border, where the beautiul foliage could be a shown off to maximise impact.
The flowers are held high, so would be equally suitable in the centre of your bed. Its a versatile plant, worth the acclaim it is bestowed in gardening magazines and books.
Harry (another member of the forum) made me aware of "Bishops Children" which can be grown from seed. Thye have the same dark foliage as their "Bishop" parentage.
I'm going to give them a go. Ive only grown Dahlias from seed once, but they were easy enough and survived a few seasons.

Offline Keith

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »
Your comment

Matter of curiosity, and I think I will be asking this on behalf of other members: what bedders work for you in those conditions?

Impatiens and upward facing fuchsias, and as the light increases a bit towards the top of the bed, french marigolds,ageratum & begonia semperlorens.

Thanks for the info on 'Bishop of Llandaff' and 'Bishops Children' I will definitely be including them for next years summer bedding.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:30:49 PM by Keith »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:38:31 PM »
When it comes to performance plants, its hard to beat Begonia semperflorens, and Impatiens.
I've taken to Fuchsias and Penstemons this year. They are fantastic at this time of year, when other things are on the wane.
In my garden, it takes them a few years to establish, but when they do they are show stoppers.

Do you grow your bedders from seed?

Offline Keith

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »
I grow a lot of fuchsias George. The varieties that are not garden hardy, I grow in 10" clay pots as bushes,half standards, & full standards. When I get bare spots amongst the shrubs and bedding plants in late summer/early autumn, I can just sink one of these in its pot and the look is restored.

I grow most bedding plants from seed, but I never get a good percentage germination with Impatiens & Begonias so I buy those in trays of mini plugs and pot them up in 9 cell trays to grow on. Have you tried the upward facing fuchsias George ?, they look super when bedded out about 10 to 12 ins high.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
Do you buy them as standards? If not, I would love to know how you train a Fuchsia as a standard, Keith.

To be perfectly honest, I didnt know there was such a thing as upward facing Fuchsias.
Ive done a quick surf, and found photos of upward facing Fuchsias, but I dont see the full upward facing effect I would have expected.
Have you any photos? What varieties do you grow?

I found some upright facing varieties on this page:
http://www.chalkfarmfuchsias.co.uk/upright.htm
Brookwood Petite
Nellie Nuttall
Pink Fantasia
Qute a range of plants!
That page is out of date, I think.
Heres the web site by the guy who built the above web site:
http://www.findthatfuchsia.info/
12,800 different named Fuchsias and over 1,750 Fuchsia photos

I have had the same poor result with Impatiens. They obviously hate root disturbance, or (or perhaps and) have very particular watering requirements when growing from seed.
As for Begonias - I tried them in my very early days of gardening before I got my greenhouse and they failed completely.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:42:45 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Keith

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »
Re standard Fuchsias.

I grow my various types of standards from cuttings. At first I used to take normal cuttings (about 1 to 2 ins) and then when rooted, just allow the growing tip to continue, pinching out all below it until it reaches the height required. Then allow the side shoots to grow from the tip and pinch out often to create a bush at the top. This method takes a few years to achieve a good result, especially with a full standard. However this time can be shortened considerably by taking the cuttings about 12 to 15 ins long (I believe they are called 'Whips' in the trade).

Re upward facing Fuchsias.

I grow 4 varieties Pink Fantasia, Rose Fantasia, Thamar & Twinkletoes.
You are right George about the full upward facing effect, I think a better term for them would be 'Forward Facing'. However having said that they produce a much better view of their flowers (when grown as a bedder) than the hanging flower varieties, which I feel look their best when grown in baskets, standards or large shrubs (if hardy enough).

I seem to be having problems with my jpg attachments, I cannot see them.

p.s. seems to be a firewall related problem, will look at that later when I am in the mood.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:48:25 PM by Keith »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips Keith. I must have a go at growing a standard. Would you recommend any particular variety?

Your photos are very good. I can view them no problem.

Offline Keith

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 12:04:35 PM »
I grow Annabel, Twinkletoes, & Beacon as standards, but would not try to use any fuchsia known as 'Lax' in habit. Don't forget George even garden hardy varieties need to be protected from frost when grown as standards.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »
Ive grown Annabel in the past.
I'll get a snap of each of my varieties while they are in bloom and see if any look like her.
I have some in a large pot which have survived a few years, but names have been lost (what an embarassment!)
They produce strong upright growth, so would be suitable for standards, I'm sure.
I let them go unpruned a couple of years ago and they produced stems at the end of 18in stems.

I have a Chrysanthemum expert who lives about 3 miles from me. I havent been to see him for a few years. He also does Fuchsias, and I bought my stock from him. I think he in turn gets his Fuchsia stock from another enthusiast.
Heres a page from one of my web sites of the great man:
http://www.cultivars.co.uk/chrys/chrys.html
Click on the link for Chrysanthemum ?Purple Chempak Rose?       
From dates on the web page, it looks like it was spring 2001 when I bought those Fuchsias.