Author Topic: Time for pruning  (Read 3114 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Time for pruning
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:40:55 AM »
This corner needs some pruning to restore some order, but it looked really good for a few weeks when the Ceanothus burst into bloom.
It was never meant to grow to a height of 8ft in that spot!

Acer 'Bloodgood' on the left, Ceanothus and an Acer palmatum atropurpureum on the right, grown from a £1 seedling from Barthelemy in Dorset, England.
Variegated Lonicera poking through? Need to check the name.
Photo taken on 15th May 07
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:04:42 AM by ideasguy »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Time for pruning
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
A close up of the Ceanothus, and the Acer "seedling"

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »
Did you take this picture behind glass, George? There is some mysterious mist at the right below.
Do the acers need much pruning? If so, when and how?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »
The mist below is caused by a mysterious thumbprint - impressed on the lens by my grandson!
I dont know how he managed, but he was playing with the camera and that tiny finger got in behind the shutter.

Acers respond well to pruning, as testified by Bonsai enthusiasts. Prune just above a bud and they will sprout out again two or threefold.
Ive never pruned that Bloodgood, but will soon.
They are supposed to be pruned when dormant, when buds are formed, so its easy to know where to prune i.e. very early spring.
I have a rule of my own. I find some Acers go a bit drab mid season, then put on a second flush of fresh foliage later in the season. To take advantage of that I have pruned successfully in July, and get a good response from the plant, nice fresh growth again.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 12:01:24 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »
Acers respond well to pruning, as testified by Bonsai enthusiasts. Prune just above a bud and they will sprout out again two or threefold.
Don't you get too much foliage in that way, George? I would prune them just too make them more open, more airier.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:47:05 PM by greenfinger »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »
I prefer to have lots of condensed foliage.
I'm hoping to keep that tree to 6ft max. I intend to prune it to about 4ft to make it bushier. They put on quite long shoots each year, so wont take long to reach that height again.
Hope I dont kill it!! I love that tree. Notice how much darker the leaves are than the one grown from seed (and its also a nice tree!)