Author Topic: An Invitation to View.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Palustris

An Invitation to View.
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:40:51 PM »
The garden today, as it was, warts and all.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v172/Berghill/April07/

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: An Invitation to View.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »
Thanks for posting Eric - 75 photos!! Very good photos indeed. It must have taken you ages!
Ive has a quick look, and will be back for a walk around over a tea break tomorrow.
That sure is one BIG garden! I like the layout. I can see that its mostly herbaceous in parts, so any gardener will know not to expect a mass of billowiong blooms at this time of year.
What is that lovely white flowered shrub - No.71 in 75 (I think- or thereabouts). White Quince?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:05:35 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »
The white shrub at No.78 is Ribes Icicle (I think) It is a white flowering Currant. No 85 is a White double flowered Quince (actually greenish) No 65 is Clematis armandii No 99 is a white Chaenomeles (Quince).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »
Excellent! Very nice plants.
Ive never seen a white flowering currant bush before. I inherited two varieties in my fathers garden -  one pale and one deep pink. The pale pink was a fast grower - about 10ft at least when I got here, the deep pink was less rampant, and more suitable for my garden.
How does the white behave with you?

I have the common red variety of quince. They are pretty much indestructible, and flower merrily.
I put one of my favourite Acers in a large 12in pot front of it. One, perhaps 2 years later, the Quince put up a sucker through the bottom of the pot, and emerged to keep the Japanese maple "company". I had a heck of a job in getting it out of that pot, without damaging the acer root system.

I'll refer to your plant ID list when I revisit tomorrow - thanks for that.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
The Ribes is R sanguineum White Icicle, I think, though there are other ones available like Tydeman's White. They are not as vigorous as the straight R. sanguineum. I have another orangy coloured one called R. x gordonianum and a yellow one called R. alpinum. Neither of these are in flower yet.
I have added titles to the plants to help folks.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »
Thanks for that Eric.
Ive spent a lunch break "in your garden" - its absolutely beautiful - a very impressive achievement, I have to say. You must spend every minute of your spare time there. How do you ever find the time to take photos, and then post them on the internet? Devotion!
Id like to say it is much appreciated.

Its moved on again since you posted the above link. I went up to a higher level and found you have many album postings dating back a few years under "Berghill"
I found a fantastic aerial shot, in the AJune06 album.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/Berghill/AJune06/aug2003view.jpg
No doubt thats framed and hanging on a wall in pride of place in your house.
You must have an amazing plant collection, and photo collection to match.

Guessing, I'd say theres a few stories to be told.
e.g. Bodnant, July 05 BBC

Thanks for putting names to the photos - I see many of my favourites - e.g. Magnollia stellata and Clematis.
I see one bearing your cybername - Caltha palustris.

Theres one in your collection which should be of interest to Greenfinger - Pulmonaria. Look it up Andre.

Keep up the good work Eric. I'm delighted you have joined us here.

P.S. This is a lovely photo, from your collection.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/Berghill/AJune06/junegardentour045.jpg