Author Topic: Helleborus thibetana  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Palustris

Helleborus thibetana
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »
This is in flower at present. The flowers start of pale pink then go a deeper pink and fade to greenish white. Sadly something always seems to nibble the petals, odd at this time of year.

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
Re: Helleborus thibetana
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »
Is the nibbling an annual happening or do you put it down to the mild weather?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:40:22 AM »
Only flowered this and last year and nibbled both times. Was not mild here last year either! Earwigs?
Shame is it is very very reluctant to set seed so we have bought another baby one to see if it needs cross fertilisation.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
Thanks for posting this Eric. Nice photo!

I'm very interested in the Genus, as they all do well in my garden, so I'm delighted to be introduced to a new one - particuarly when someone can offer information based on good old practical experience.

Ive done a quick surf, and brought up a few pages of interest which I have linked here, for further review.

Could this be the same plant Eric?
http://www.nccpg.com/gloucestershire/plantweek41e.html

This page (OK its on Helleborus orientalis) says:
Botanists use a number of characteristics to divide hellebores into groups of similar species
http://www.gardenworld.co.uk/hellebore1.asp

This page may explain why it doesnt readily set seed:
http://www.hellebores.org/thibetanus.html

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:53:24 PM »
Ta. Actually I have the book on Hellebores by Burrows and Tyler which  is about as definitive as it can get for any genus of plants.
We grow Hh.x orientalis (hybridus),foetidus, x sternii,x ballardii, corsica (well sort of) and another one whose name eascapes me. Tried H. pupurescens but it did not survive and never had the money to buy any of the others!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Would the other one be H. niger - its probably the most popular of the genus, and one of my favourites. I see a few of mine pushing up flower stems - but theyve missed their call for Christmas!
I really must buy more H. orientalis - they are great plants.

RE H. foetidus
Its common name is not so endearing  ;D - but I have heard good reports - what do you think of it?

I can vouch for the self seeding abilities of H. corsica. I had hunderds of seedlings last year.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
Forgot about H. niger :-[ Still need to go and look at what the other one is.
H. foetidus is a good early flowerer, but it really does self seed everywhere, from deepest darkest shade to bright sunlight. Only smells if you touch the stems. Probably a biennial rather than good perennial, we find the stems flop over and rot after the first flowering.
A lot of our hybrids came from Farmyard Nurseries in Llandysul near Lampeter in Wales. They have the concession for plant selling at the Welsh National Garden. They are as good as Ashwoods and cheaper too. Only draw back is the small carpark at the nursery.