Author Topic: Tina's Garden lll  (Read 2636 times)

Offline TinaW

Tina's Garden lll
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:41:59 PM »
These last photos were taken from my back yard.

The first photo is of the arbor in our back yard that my husband built several years ago. It's covered with a wonderful Solanum crispum 'Glasnerium' potato vine. Unfortunately the arbor was heavily damaged during last November's storm so we're not sure the fate of the arbor or Solanum. So sad. It's been so beautiful. The water fountain attached to the arbor is nicely aging and is starting to grow lots of character (aka moss). The arbor leads to our side yard.

The second photo shows our incredible Queen Elizabeth rose. When I first started gardening over 10 years ago it was one of the first plants I purchased. I've never moved it. During it's glory in the summer it stands about 10' tall. It's perfect to view from the deck above. Below it is a lavender colored Phlox I don't know the name of, Siberian Iris, Artemisia 'Powis Castle' that died and a Rosa 'Ballerina' that you can partially see off to the lower right. Sorry this photo isn't as clear as the others. 

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Tina's Garden lll
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:01:11 AM »
It's covered with a wonderful Solanum crispum 'Glasnerium' potato vine. Unfortunately the arbor was heavily damaged during last November's storm so we're not sure the fate of the arbor or Solanum.
Did the Solanum survive Tina?

Artemisia 'Powis Castle' that died
I find they are a tricky Genus. I love them, but Ive had two die on me, so I suppose they dont suit my garden.

Sorry this photo isn't as clear as the others.

The sun is shining! Licky for you of course, but it does make garden photos almost impossible, in my opinion.

Offline TinaW

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:35:33 AM »
The Solanum survived amazingly. Not sure what to do with it yet. It has quite a large trunk now, like a tree. I've already whacked it back severely and it's coming back with a vengence. It likes me!! After my husband makes the repairs to the arbor we'll be able to tell if it stays or goes. I vote for stay.

I love the sun too but my photos do turn out better if it's overcast. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to take pictures so it doesn't matter whether the sun is shining or not.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:25:29 AM »
Yes, overcast is definitely best. However, some plants dont open up unless its sunny, so in that case it has to be a cloudy day, allow the plant to bask in the sun and open up fullly, then catch it in full glory when a cloud passes. Now that nneds patience.
When we go on holiday,there are always some happy members in the family, no matter if it shines or not.

Good the Solanum survived. It sounds like it can takes some rough treatment! The cut back probably did it good!
Poor hubby gets to fix that arbor thought. Encourage him and tell him the world awaiats for photos, and say Hello and thank you from me for helping with the Web Gen project!