Author Topic: Tina's garden  (Read 3089 times)

Offline TinaW

Tina's garden
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:52:12 PM »
I sent these photos of my garden to George and he asked that I share them all of you. As per his request I'm posting more than one as he'd like photo descriptions.
Both these photos were taken in 2004. They were taken from the walkway exiting our front door. We live in a rural area (Arlington) in the state of Washington, USA. We have a fairly mild climate although you wouldn't know it lately. It was 26 decrees C this morning.

The arbor is a simple rusted metal. The Clematis growing over the top is Jackmanii, one of my favorites. There is a climbing rose 'William Baffin' climbing over the left side but it's too small to see here. It has recently reached the top of the arbor. To the right of the arbor is Rosa glauca. This rose was planted to close to the walkway so I'm constantly trimming it back. It still rewards me and looks beautiful all season. Siberian Iris is on the left and it will be moved this year to my cousin's garden as I already have a great supply of this Iris. Bottom left is a pretty little Scabiosa purchased about 10 years ago when I didn't keep plant names.

The second photo is the view under the arbor. Hard to see is a Prunus ceracifera 'Thundercloud' because of it's wonderful dark foliage. It was heavily damaged in the snowstorm here last November. Also visible is Lavandula 'Grosso' and Rosa 'Nearly Wild' that blooms like crazy.

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
Re: Tina's garden
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:40:20 PM »
Now that's what I call a garden to die for. It looks like a piece of the country side....really, really nice...........Want to swap for my cantainer garden?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »
Tina - your garden is a pleasure to behold. Take a bow!

I know full well that photos cant capture the full beauty of a garden - but you have done one fine job!

I think your posting is very well timed. Its Jan, we are looking forward to spring - and those sets of photos I, II and III are just what we all need to give us a flash of inspiration, and renew our zeal.
I'd call them "inspirational".
Youve impressed further on us what can be achieved with enthusiasm and perspiration!

Bottom left is a pretty little Scabiosa purchased about 10 years ago when I didn't keep plant names.
Should that be bottom right?
Regardless - has the same Scabiosa persisted for 10 years?

Offline TinaW

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
Yes, the Scabiosa is bottom right, not left. I stand corrected. It has been in my garden since my early gardening days. I pull it out and replant it (adding compost) every few years when it looks like its declining. It may be 'Butterfly Blue' but I'm not 100% positive. I have great luck with Scabiosas. I've never lost one yet. Astilbe on the other hand is a different story. They struggle in my sandy soil that drains almost too quickly. I don't water them as much as I should so they suffer. I stopped buying them.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »
The opposite happens in my garden!
However, my Astilbe's looked pretty dead at the end of last season, after a prolonged dry spell (Yes, a dry spell in IRELAND  :) )
Hope they come back. I like them a lot.
My soil is quite good - so good that I have a continuous struggle with weeds.

Nettles tend to be a good indicator of good soil (I think I read that somewhere - can anybody comment?) Not too much trouble if they are eradicated early. If not, they van have huge root system,and of course they spread.
Ive got some fine specimens  :(

I imagine weeds would be easier to remove in sandy soil - is that the case?

Offline TinaW

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
In the Pacific Northwest we are known for our rain. I think most would be surprised to find that we have dry summers here and often have a long period of drought in July and August. It isn't always hot and sunny but but still no rain. Soils around the area vary from clay to sand or gravel but there are places that have fertile soil too such as the Skagit Valley. In my sandy soil I make sure to add lots of compost and the plants seem to love it (in general). A majority of plants like fertile well drained soil so I really don't mind the sandy soil. Astilbe likes moist soil so I think that's where I have a problem with them. My soil doesn't retain enough moisture and I don't water them enough.

I've also heard that nettles thrive in good soil. I grew up on this property and I remember there being nettles when I was a child. The part of the property I live on now is in the area that used to be wooded. I haven't seen any on this piece of land since I moved back. There is a river not far from here and the closer you get to it the more nettles you find. They must like it moist.

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »
Nettles are pretty robust and will grow practically anywhere. I have noticed that in damper parts along the wood side they tend to be bigger and greener than in the dryer areas. When you consider the feeder roots of a nettle, it's not suprising they do well.