Author Topic: The Beth Chatto Gardens  (Read 6315 times)

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
The Beth Chatto Gardens
« on: January 31, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »
This garden is a must for all plantoholics like me, and anyone who wants to see plants grown in different conditions such as dry, gravel, woodland, bog, sun, shade etc.  Beth Chatto has planted her garden with plants which enjoy these differing conditions, and therefore all the plants are superb!  (She has also written books describing plants suitable for different conditions.)  I was fortunate to visit the gardens last June for the first time, and can't wait to go back again.  There is also a wonderful plant sales area, with a fantastic selection of plants, many of them unusual ones which you won't find in your average garden centre!  It often happens when you visit a lovely garden that their plant centre only has the run-of-the-mill plants which you can buy at your local GC, and not the scrummy ones you see growing in the garden.  Beth Chatto's plant centre is different - you can see many of the plants for sale growing in their natural habitat and at full size in the gardens.  Here's a link to the website for more info:
http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/ .  One thing of importance to remember - the gardens are NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS  :(

Here's a taster:

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Beth Chatto Gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 12:41:32 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful, Chrissie.
Did you take that photo? Not a person in sight to spoil the view  :)
If you did, did you take many photos?

From what you have said, I would spend a week in that place just breathing that garden. It must be really inspirational for plantaholics!
Were you impressed with their plant combinations? That in itself is worth a few visits.

I think June is a lovely month for the garden. Mine is at its best then. No doubt Beth has the garden planned to give interest in all seasons.
When you go back, are you planning to go in the same month, or stagger to see what its like at another time in the year?

One other question (I'll limit a little) Did they have a booklet/guide on sale of the plants in the garden, documented by area?

Thanks for posting that info and the photo Chrissie.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:56:39 PM »
Everytime I come across the name of Beth Chatto my heart makes a little leap. I guess this has to do with her pioneersplace in the horticultural world, but in my case it goes together with my high appreciation of her book 'Beth chatto's Garden Notebook'. I read it three times and keep it whenever possible within handreach. Of course there is a lot of very usuable plantexperience in it, but what  makes it very worthfull to me is the human voice in it, the deep consideration for her people: her workers at the nursery, the family. Also the reader benefits by her warm touch. One can learn from her how to take the difficult periods in ones life, but also how to enjoy the richness of the pleasures (and not only in the garden). I wish she could deliver a sequel. I write perhaps in superlatives, but  I have the impression Beth Chatto is made out of the material that makes "une grande dame", a great, friendly Lady.

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 11:49:47 PM »
George - I hope to go back one day, but haven't made any definite plans.  I'm sure the garden will look wonderful whatever time of year one visits.  Yes, I took the photo.  I always try to get just plants in a photo, as people make the place untidy :D  I sometimes have to wait quite a long time for people to wander out of shot, especially if the garden is busy, but the results are worth it! I took a mixture of views and individual plants, about 40 photos in all, but some are duplicate shots of the same plant.  Unfortunately, I haven't made a note of which areas of the garden I took, and although some of the individual plants are named in the photo, many are not simply because there was no label in evidence.  Most annoying >:( I would probably have taken more, but the weather was freezing, with a cold northerly wind.  It was June, but I had a coat, scarf and gloves on, and I was still cold!!  It was a relief to go into the tea room and warm up - it was that cold.  Oh - and it rained a bit as well :(  You can buy "The Beth Chatto Handbook" (paperback) at the gardens, which is "a descriptive catalogue of unusual plants". I can't remember how much it was exactly (cheap though), but it was worth it for the info it contains on the vast quantity of plants grown in the gardens.  At the front there is a blurb about the gardens, followed by several lists of plants suitable for particular conditions or purposes, then an a to z list of plants. It makes a good reference book to keep.  I forgot to mention that the plants on sale in the plant centre are incredibly reasonable in price for their size, compared with your average garden centre.

Greenfinger - I absolutely agree with your comments about Mrs Chatto.  I'd love to do an interview with her and take some photos!  I haven't read "Beth Chatto's Garden Notebook" yet, but it's now on my wish list.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »
I noticed no shadows in the photo, so my favourite conditions. So, if you were cold, take heart that you probably got much better photos than if it had been sunny and warm. You might also have got more "untidy" vistas.

I dont so much wait until the crowd wanders off, I wait until the sun goes behind a cloud and its all systems go to get the photos.

Makes everybody happy when we go out. I hope for a grey day (but bright) while everyone else hopes for sun!

In Spain, I had to wait until the short period between sun dipping behind he hills and darkness.

I'm going to visit the Central Library in Belfast to look for Beth Chatto's books (its across the street from where I work).
They are getting RAVE reviews here!

That plant centre sounds real good!

In the photo, any idea what the red flowered plant is, bottom left?

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:53:37 AM »
In the photo, any idea what the red flowered plant is, bottom left?

It was Gladiolus byzantinus, George

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 12:24:12 AM »
Thats a neat plant. I'm glad I asked!
Height on web sites is quoted as 20-22ins, so a nice size.

Heres a photo of a nice clump, enought to convince me to give them a try:

http://www.plantanswers.com/arcadia_pages/gladiolus.htm

Thanks Chrissie

Well, you've found on for me... but what new plants did you discover at Beth Chattos?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 12:45:49 AM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 11:24:01 PM »
I saw lots of lovely plants new to me George, but most of them weren't named, which is most annoying! Here's a nice one though - it was Papaver orientalis 'Karine', and is a delicious pink :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 11:55:45 PM »
Very nice indeed. I really do like that one.

Some of the orientalis are like dinner plates, a bit too big for my liking.
That one looks smaller. Is it?

It looks really good and in proportion with that dainty blue companion plant. Is it a Campanula?

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:16:50 PM »
It was a bit smaller than many of the orientalis varieties, George.  Quite delicate looking, really.  It's growing with a Campanula, bt I'm not sure which one it is.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 11:42:21 PM »
In that case, I'll add that one to my list. Its a beauty.

I saw lots of lovely plants new to me George, but most of them weren't named, which is most annoying! 
That is a pity. If you have photos of any mystery plants taken on your visit, please give them an airing. It would be a great challenge here.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »
Ive got hold of Beth Chatto's "The Dry Garden" from Belfast Public Library, and have put in a request for a few or her others (they are out on loan)

Had a quick visit to the web site:
http://www.bethchatto.co.uk

and found this little beauty (spelt differently on three web pages Ive visited):
Alyssum spinosum Roseum

which can be bought here for £2.
Pottertons Nursery