Author Topic: New Member  (Read 4595 times)

Offline wordav67

« on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »
Hi,
I am new to the forum having bought Bank Genie 4 a few weeks ago. I think I have sorted out the basic bits that I need - not seeking to produce sophisticated accounts records - just a record of outgoings and incomings, with the means of balancing the bank statement each month. The software seems to do far more than I need.
I haven't got used the idea that direct debits need me to action their input to the account record. My earlier software used to add them in automatically. Also the page with all D/Ds listed doesn't seem to show them in a logical order - I would prefer that they were all in date order on the D/D record. Perhaps I can work out  system to use the "code letters" to sort the order.. Anyway, as my earlier software packages failed and caused me problems, I believe this one will be much better.

Cheers
wordav67

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
And welcome to the forum!

You'll be very pleased to know that Bank Genie Pro 5 (in the hands of some of our forum members for beta testing) has addressed most of your concerns.
  • There are a number of ways provided to list your standing orders.
    You will be able to list them in:-
    a) By Payee
    b) By Next due date
    c) By Account by Transaction details
    d) By Transaction details
  • The 2 digit code is now optional. It can be blank.
    It does have some advantages and some users may wish to continue using that early feature.

Hope that helps :)

Offline barryl

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 12:59:10 PM »
and welcome from me.

I migrated from Quicken (and helped George with the development of the software needed to do that).

I find Bank Genie much more flexible than Quicken (and it has the benefit of still being supported  :D )

Offline ContraOboe

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
BGP is far better than Quicken. You can actually do things with your data! :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:19:11 PM »
Thank you for your encouraging comments Barry and Colin. I'll be calling on your help again during the autumn and winter months when we resume development of new features in Bank Genie Pro 5 ;D

Offline wordav67

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
Hi guys and many thanks for your welcome. Sorry for the delay in replying - busy with lots of other stuff. I will kook again at the D/D listing and see how to change it to better meet my needs.

Thanks again

Wordav 67

Offline wordav67

Re: New Member struggling to intepret instructions.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
I have looked at the instructions for D/D input etc and tried to remove the 2 letter code as suggested in an earlier post reply, but the system would not allow me to delete the codes. I also looked for a way to change the list of D/D , standing orders etc into a more logical sequence i.e. date order, but so far have not interpreted any guidance to achieve that. As I need only a very basic system, I do find that Bank Genie is overcomplicated for my needs so far, and the language used in instructions does not always make sense to me. No offense intended, but as someone with limited computer knowledge and am reasonably intelligent in many other areas, I do not find this software to be as user friendly as it seemed at first. When I have more time I will try reading the guidance again, but in the meantime I will put up with it as it is

Wordav 67

Offline derram69

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
I too already miss auto inserting of SOs etc I will probably print a sheet out  with them all in date order before I delete Money so I can make a table withem on it in date order and simply go down the list every week Not Rocket science

Offline wordav67

Re: New Member struggling to interpret instructions
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:06:54 PM »
Just re-read some of the earlier comments from others and it is clear that you have much greater computer knowledge than I. Whilst I have loaded programs and once had to reload the operating system on an older PC, I have a long way to go to build my expertise. I have registered for Windows 10, but am delaying the upgrade for while in the hope that any early issues may be resolved before I dive in!!

Just read reply from Derram69 - sounds like a simple enough idea, but when I used Money ( a very old version) I did not need to go to such lengths. I also tried Acemoney which also did the job in a similar fashion. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to print out a list from either of the earlier programs as they "died" on me without warning and I was unable to retrieve any data. So I have had to start from scratch twice now and hope for better things when I get my head round Bank Genie. Thanks for taking the time to reply and sorry if I sound grumpy - just a bit tired at present. Thanks again

Regards

Wordav 67

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »
Hi Wordav

Tomorrow will be a better day, I'm sure :)
Send me an email and we can arrange an over the phone tutorial.
I do that quite often and offer tips.

You will be pleased to know that the 2 digit code has been "retired" in the new Bank Genie Pro 5 (still under development).
It also has more display listing/order options etc - the result of requests and suggestions by members of the forum.