Computers > General Discussion

Folder names on Windows 7

(1/1)

ideasguy:
Documents and Settings (D&S) was a folder feature in XP.
D&S has been dropped in Windows 7.

Ive posted this for my own information (and discussion of course).

Here's an example which took a bit of time to figure out today.
In Ideas Genie, working on XP,  I had used the Link Plants to Photos program-GA030 to link some plants from this folder:-
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\APPLICATION DATA\IDEASFORGARDENS\IDEAS GENIE PRO 6\JPGTEMP\

When I migrated the files to my new Windows 7 computer, I was quite surprised to see that the computer "saw" those links, and worked perfectly in Ideas Genie (Plant Pics, Garden Pics, slideshows etc), even though the path was "invalid".
I went looking for the files using Windows Explorer.
No surprise, I couldn't find the D&S folder.
I had copied the files into this folder:-
C:\PROGRAMDATA\IDEASFORGARDENS\IDEAS GENIE PRO 6\JPGTEMP\
and Ideas Genie was finding the files there.

barryl:
Do you mean there was an automatic migration to the \programdata folder or that you did it manually?

ideasguy:
That was done manually, Barry. I moved a folder which was copied from my XP computer.

As you know, Bank Genie data is stored under the user profile. Its in a location I was advised to use when Vista first came on the scene. It was perfect and carried through to Windows 7 and into Windows 8.
That location is in a hidden folder path, and has been very difficult to support, particularly with updates to the Bank Genie Fileset - well "documented" on this forum! Many computer users have difficulty working with folders.

I'm releasing a new upgrade to Ideas Genie which goes one step further than Bank Genie as Ive moved the data into the programdata folder. The big difference is that the folder is User profile independent, so updates to fileset and other data can be made with considerable ease and no challenges to the user 8) Knowledge of folders will not be required. Bank Genie will install updated data files automatically.
If testing after release is successful, it will be applied to Bank Genie 5 and Bank Genie Pro 5.

barryl:
Dont you already have an automated Fileset update for BG4 (Pro)?

ideasguy:
The automated process in Bank Genie 4 is a 2 step process at present, Barry (for Data sets only).
You have to use those 2 buttons in About Bank Genie - BS400. 1. Download and run followed by button 2 Copy to Location .
Bank Genie 5 will make that a 1 step process just like Bank Genie 4 Program Files downloads.
That makes it much easier for me and the user - the fileset can then be wrapped up in the Download Group (PROGRAM updates) file so ONE download will deliver and install ALL updates - both Program files and Fileset.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version