Author Topic: New RHS hardiness ratings  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

New RHS hardiness ratings
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
I noticed today that the RHS has modified it's list of hardiness ratings. The older version always seemed somewhat inadequate compared to the American system. The new ratings are much much better but tailored to the British climate. If anyone hasn't noticed the change the link for the article is http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/RHS-Publications/Journals/The-Garden/Past-Issues/2013-issues/February/Content/How-hardy-are-my-plants.
I then wondered if it might be very useful to include a box for hardiness rating in GA100S40?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:09:39 PM by Trevor Ellis »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New RHS hardiness ratings
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
Good find Trevor :)

For items such as this, I have provided Global Editing in Ideas Genie:D
The many and very various Cultural Requirement and Properties of plants are defined using the program GA003 under Setup tab.
Hardiness is a perfect example, as it is a very much regional thing and Hardiness grades (and their definitions) in the UK are totally different to those in the US.
These definitions are then used as explained in this demo:
http://www.ideasgenie.co.uk/demo9.html
With that solution, a user can set up their own Hardiness Grades for ANY region or ANY country.

If you (and other members) can have a look at the Master Database you will find I have already added three Culture Grades, one for UK, one for RHS AGM plants and one for US.
There are four grades in my UK definitions which relate to the old Frost Tender, 1 Star (*), 2 Star (**)  and 3 Star (***) standards found in most good Reference books.
Now, as you have made us aware, there are nine :o

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:38:43 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
I've put the new ratings into GA100S30CG George. I just wondered if when the rating of a plant, species or genus as recorded in there, it could be made conveniently to appear in GA100S40? I know that sometimes what might seem easy to non programmers can be a nightmare to make happen. On the other hand it may be really easy?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:41:08 PM by Trevor Ellis »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
Indeed Trevor!
The alternative to GA100S40 is GA100S36 which you get to by editing a plant in GA004 or GA037 etc.
That screen does have all that Global stuff, but I don't want to recreate all that functionality in GA100S40, as its meant to be used by those who don't need all the other features.

Good to see you have the definitions set up for Global editing.
The Master Database for use with Ideas Genie has 36,000 plants.
Imagine the task to apply the new hardiness ratings to that lot :o
Even with the Global Editing tools, a lot of extra research would be required for each species to FIND the correct hardiness rating, then apply it to every species in the database.
To be continued?