Author Topic: 2013 the year of ?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
2013 the year of ?
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
For us 2013 has to have been The Year of the Fig :)  We've never had such a productive crop in the however-many years it is since we've been growing the plant.  We bought one Brown Turkey many years ago and I have another established plant now from a cutting taken from it, plus a new cutting struck this year and destined for a friend if it survives.  I also bought a compact variety two or three years ago to plant inside our fruit cage because the other two plants were being raided and denuded of any fruit before it ripened properly and we could enjoy them.  For some reason this has not happened this year and apart from a few peck marks which didn't puncture the skins very little if any full size fruits have gone to waste.

What has been the most successful crop this year for others?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: 2013 the year of ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
Tomatoes here Trish. Never had so many.
Damsons (our favourite jam) were quite the opposite - a handful at most! It must have been something to do with the return of winter with blizzards in March - I suspect the birds pecked the buds to keep them alive in those harsh conditions. If that was the case, then I'm not going to prosecute!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Our Damsons  were very late, but tons of them. Plums poor though.
Best crop must be the apples, though most of the Cox are wormed.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:06:16 AM »
Tomatoes were our second best (biggest in production but not so difficult to get results as with the figs) and the apples are looking good but some slightly smaller, which I actually prefer.  We've had a reasonable protracted crop of plums, some better flavour than others, but the badger has been enjoying them too every evening for weeks :)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:39:43 PM »
We have just picked and bagged up 24 kilos of very very ripe Damsons for our Garden Society tonight. That was just part of the crop from one tree. The rest of them will just have to be left to fall and the other trees totally ignored. Sad, but we have enough in the freezer to last us 2 years, and jam for 3 years. We may not even manage to give away the one we have bagged either.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »
 :'(

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
Well, the Damsons went as did the Apples. Bit of a relief really. Odd though, we do not want money for them, yet people insist on paying for them. Still, it is £20 or so for the Society funds.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
Good fund raising work Eric! We would gladly have been one of your contributors in exchange for those tasty goods :D
We bought some from a greengrocer this year - precious Jam made and in use.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:16:29 PM by ideasguy »