Author Topic: A few Heleniums  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Palustris

A few Heleniums
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »
Taken at Special Perennials open garden.

Helenium Hot Lava

H. Tie Die

H. Butterpat

H. Wonnadonga

H. Sophie zur Linden

H. Konig's Tiger

H. Bressingham Gold

H. Indian Summer

H. Sophie

H. Double Trouble
Taken in the garden here
http://www.specialperennials.com/index.htm
 We have a few of these, but at £5 for a single stem plant we won't be getting many more.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A few Heleniums
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
Beautiful :D
You've cheered me up on a wet and cold day here Eric. I'd certainly like to use those in my Master Database.
Excellent photos 8)

They were at the Plant Hunters Fair at the Dorothy Clive Garden when we met up a few years ago!
I had bought plants from them by mail order and had a chat with the owners. (I have a photo!)
I was very pleased with the plants they sent - big and strong and very well packaged. They really had gone to a lot of trouble to make sure they arrived in good condition, and they did  :)

Unfortunately, only one of the Heleniums which I purchased have survived in my garden - Helenium 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' .
Not their fault, I hasten to add. I blame myself for providing lack of attention in the first year.
Its a beauty and has naturalised well. Its in full glory as I speak, so now you have reminded me, I will take a photo.

Was it £5 for the plants in those photos Eric?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:19:16 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

Re: A few Heleniums
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »
Yes, which is why we did not buy that many. Like you we have tried with Heleniums before and they have not survived, so a bit reluctant to get any more. We did search through his plants until we found ones with lots of new growth in the pots rather than the single stems on many of them.