Author Topic: apple tree varieties  (Read 4932 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
apple tree varieties
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
I've recently been trying to decide which apple varieties to buy for our son's new garden.  After a lot of research regarding what best suits the local climate and lots of other considerations I've finally decided upon Genadier and Sunset.  Ordering them before the end of this month will get us a 10% discount and they will arrive in the autumn.  I'll return to this post with pictures to show how they progress, and hopefully bear fruit in the coming years.

I've never actually chosen apple trees before.  There was a Golden Delicious already in the garden when we moved here, but that is now sickly and needing to come out.  And many years ago when my father-in-law gave up his allotment we inherited three tree from him, which have provided for us well for many years.  I'd have to check my notebooks to be sure of the varieties. 

I'm wondering what varieties other forum members grow, and which they particularly might recommend?

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Re: apple tree varieties
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
Oh! just read the post about apple scab and it seems that some of you have Sunset :)  I read that it doesn't keep long but then my son probably wouldn't have time for that anyway, and the varieties we grow keep well enough for all of us to have plenty.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:54 AM »
We've never grown apple trees Trish so we're not able to give any advice on the growing process for you.

From watching gardening programs in the past, do you need to have a 'male' and 'female' tree in the same area for pollenation?

I'm not certain about that, but I'm sure there's other members here who will have some useful advice for you in due course  ;)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »
No, there is no such thing as male and female apple trees. The are all both. What you need are trees which flower at the same time so that there is cross pollination.
We have 9 trees which go from Katy which is very early  through to Court Pendu Plat which is a very late type and does keep until April of the following season.
This is as good a list as any.
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Apple-Tree-Pollination

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
When it comes to growing (and storing) good crops of apples, Eric (Palustris) is the man ;)

I have a few favourites, and Sunset is one, as its bred from Cox.
Cox IS my favourite apple, but I read that its "difficult" to grow here in Ireland.
Other favourites in my garden are Lord Lambourne and James Grieve.
Its a matter of preferred flavour as to what one should grow.
I don't like Golden Delicious and the ones above are unlike them. Used to like Granny Smiths, but they can vary from too green to too ripe. In between they are OK for me - on the green side ::)
In the supermarkets my preferences are 1) Cox and 2) Braeburn

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:07:54 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »
Cox's needs a warmer longer season than other varieties. Granny Smith is definitely not growable in most of Britain (usually imported). Golden Delicious straight from your own tree and properly ripe is as the name suggests. From the shops it is basically sweet mush!.
If you like a Cox type apple then go for Queen Cox, self fertile and a lot easier.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
There you go Trish - Eric (Palustris) is your 'apple tree man' for all the advice you need.

I suspected I was talking a load of rot - (male and female trees  ::) ) - what do I know  :(

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:35:26 AM »
I took care to choose varieties that will cope with our local climate.  Cox is my personal favourite and I read that in a good year Sunset can taste similar :) 
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/sunset
I've found this website tremendously helpful.

Our own currently productive trees are Golden Delicious

Newton Wonder

which I also use as my profile pic on FB

and Lord Lambourne.

The apple blossom has been wonderful this year

And even the old pear put on a good show.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:06:56 AM »
I envy you having a decent eating apple in your garden, Trish. Years ago we bought what was supposed to be an eater (very similar to a Cox, the nurseryman said  - Cox is also my favourite, George) but it turned out to be a great disappointment. Not a good eater at all and too mushy to cook. We have two ancient Bramley Seedlings in our garden which are so tall that we cannot reach the fruit and we  have to wait for windfalls which usually have earwigs in them. About fifteen years ago we decided to plant a new Bramley Seedling at the bottom of the garden, away from the old ones and now we can pick them properly. we love baked apples, and these are perfect for that. Here are a few shots of the “new” tree: -

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
They look to be perfect apples and I envy you them :)  With fruit trees one does tend to have to learn to love and live with one's mistakes, or other people's choices, longer than than with most other disappointing garden purchases.  Sometimes things do come good eventually though, in a good year, whatever that might be!